Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCouch’s RV Hamilton Oh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couch’s RV Hamilton Oh
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:28am
I ended up buying our Rpod about 6 months early than I expected. I did my research and went to local RV shows to find out what Rpod would we like the best.   We found we really like the the 179. Now the fun part to find one that isn’t going to break the bank. I did a google search found out Coates in MN was close by and Couch’s in Hamilton Ohio. I did my calling around and read online reviews on their dealership. Coates wouldn’t budge from 17,200 yet Couch’s was 15,200 fully loaded. Brian the sales guy at Couch’s took us on a tour of the Rpod 179 via iPhone FaceTime. We were sold. We made our trip to Hamilton in our 04 Trailblazer. We got down there with no problems, but it was the ride home that was quite the adventure. Brian brought us out to our Rpod 179. The tech gave us a good run through except left out some minor details. 1. In order to run AC, outlets, tv, or convex oven you must be plug into an outside source. No I ask forum members what would recommend for a generator? So we found the hard way while at a rest stop and wanted to use the AC. I texted Brian and was told that news. The next little opps was in Urbana IL we camped in the back lot of Old Country Buffet because the trailblazer’s AC pully went out. After everything we got home. Lessons learned? Need something in the 1/2 ton truck or SUV with a v8 to pull, need generator or shore power and mattress topper. Would I buy from Couch’s again. Of course. They offered the best deal around
E M Johnson
A Nation forgets its defenders will forget itself
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:24am
Do a search or advance search on keyword "generator", you will find more info on generator opinions than you can possibly imagine :)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:30am
Drove 10 hours from NC to buy our 179 at Couch's a year ago and save lots of money.  No one around could compare and I did the math.  Warranty work, if needed, concerns me....will handle that when it comes up.  We were moving up from a pop-up to this thing and were essentially new to most of the travel trailer conveniences, so the Saturday morning introduction/tour of our 179 was a whirlwind.  I know also that the tech left out some details but I'm sure some things he told us went in one ear and out the other.  Tried to write everything down and he did do a very thorough tour.  Learned much more stuff here on the forum.  Do lots of searches here and ask questions.  Good folks here.  Oh, and in anticipation of a travel trailer purchase, we bought a 2011 1/2 ton Silverado 5 years ago and it moves and handles the pod quite well.  No regrets there.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:34am
Originally posted by eJohnson

Need something in the 1/2 ton truck or SUV with a v8 to pull
You don't necessarily need a V8; you just need something with enough power and weight carrying ability. Our V6 F-150 will out-pull a lot of V8s. Point being is that a lot of turbo'd engines will have plenty of power, so that widens your search capability. I do agree that a pickup is often the better tow vehicle, but I understand the appeal of something like an SUV.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:45am
Agree with GlueGuy....it's amazing how engine technology has changed in a few short years. Used to be that nothing BUT a V8 could be used for anything beyond pulling its own self up a hill.   And now the V6's are amazing. Heck, just bought a 4 cylinder 1.4 liter turbo Chevy Cruze and with a tune, it's pushing me against the seat with over 200 HP now. Nothing like my 1978 Datsun 510 with a 2.0 4 banger I had as a teenager....maybe 100HP when it was new. I admit, I do like the rumble of the 2 extra cylinders in a V8 though. One of the other advantages of a pick-up truck or SUV is the length and width of the vehicle itself and how it can maintain trailer stability better than shorter wheel base vehicles.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:08am
I use a half ton Silverado with a cap. I like the fact that I can store a lot of gear dry and secure in the truck bed.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Subzilla

One of the other advantages of a pick-up truck or SUV is the length and width of the vehicle itself and how it can maintain trailer stability better than shorter wheel base vehicles.
The length of the TV is a double-edge sword. The extra length (mainly wheelbase) sure does provide a lot more stability, and also contributes to a nice ride on long road trips. However, when I'm wheeling around town (without the R-pod), I often need to phone ahead to make a U-turn (our F-150 is over 20' long).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:42pm
My 2006 Silverado 4 door crew is over 20 feet long. Crew cabs have been huge for years, I had a 80s Chevy 3500 crew dually that was well over 20 feet. I have noticed it seems they make parking places smaller, but OK, I use two :)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
SqueakyToy17 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:22pm
I got mine from Coach's....LOVE THESE FOLKS!!! Easy to work with (I am on the West coast) and they brought my little RPod 179 to my front door. Even with shipping over $12K LESS than locals and have been very patient and helpful with my endless emails and phone calls with questions.
I watched a LOT of youtube of RPod owners and their tips - which has ALL come in handy.
Highly recommend these folks if you are in the market. :)
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Just some information to know.  While FR prefers that you buy local and will honor warranty work if you buy across country and drive it back, they will balk at fixing anything if they find out you had the RPOD shipped to you.  This is because they do not know if what is broken was fine when it got to the dealer but when they shipped it, they could have used a poor shipping company and they broke the RPOD.  In that case they will deny any warranty work.  This was told to me by a FR representative. They know from the VIN number where the RPOD was shipped to.  But hey for saving $12K I would do the same thing.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>