R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhot water faucet problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hot water faucet problem
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:58am

I guess it isn't really a problem unless you don't know how to solve it. I know what to do when it happens, but it recurs. That is what I want to solve.

We camped in the Pod for 150 days last year with minimal problems. I winterized and de-wintered the R-Pod using the instructions in the manual developed on this site. I stored the anode for the water heater separately and re-inserted it this spring using Teflon tape to ensure it wasn't leaking.

We went camping this weekend for the first trip this year and had the hot water flow drop to zilch all of a sudden. I removed the aerator from the faucet and there was a small piece of plastic stuck in the aerator. I removed it and the flow returned. The next day the same thing happened again. This time I examined the plastic closely. It was about the width and texture of the Teflon tape but was dark gray in color. This seems to happen only with the hot water flow.

The Teflon tape I use is white in color but I am wondering if a piece of it could have broken off and somehow become discolored in the heating process. Has anyone else encountered something like this?Should I consider flushing just the hot water system?  If so, how do I do that?  What other causes/issues might I need to consider?

My wife reminds me that I used a brand new hose (garden variety) to fill the R-pod, and suggests that a piece of detritus from that could be the cause.  However, we were hooked to a "city water" system in a state park when this was happening.  I also was running the water through a sediment and then a carbon filter before it went into the pod.

Enjoy Life!!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:29am
It doesn't sound like the plastic is the teflon tape.  The direction of the twist on the anode threads would tend to push the tape out of, not into the tank.

It certainly would be worth flushing the water system without the strainers in the faucets (sink and shower hose) to see if that clears it.  It may be some debris that got dislodged in travels. But there could also be something starting to break apart in the water system, in which case you need to find out what it is to fix it.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:07am
The teflon tape won't discolor from the "heating process" or it wouldn't still be white on the anode threads.

When was the last time you sanitized the system? I have seen stuff show up from breaking loose from the inside of the hose.. the "stuff" was plastic feeling, but was organic. It was film from the hose.

I have also seen a water filter break down and send debris through the system.

While I grew up drinking from water hoses, now days, they are all made in China out of who knows what.. so I don't do it anymore. Your call. The book answer is to only use a certified drinking water safe hose, they aren't expensive, or hard to find.

The best way to flush the system would be to hook up to city water, pull the aerators from each faucet, and run water through each one, and each side cold/hot, until you feel it's clear and clean of any debris. It's just fresh water, so you can run it into a bucket and dump or send it out the window, or whatever.. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:13am
Let me see if I can find some pictures.. Now these are from a 2 year old drinking water hose, start of season.. I now sanitize my hoses every year.

I cut the hose open so I could get good pictures. Here is the biofilm buildup inside the hose..

made up some sanitation fluid.. bleach and water, in a water bottle. Filled the hose, let it sit over night..

After..

Rinsed, reassembled, back in use..

ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:02pm
I love this forum!  It is so helpful in solving problems.  I sanitized the Pod when I de-wintered.  However, I did not think of checking the hoses or replacing the filters.  I will do both and also flush out the system again.  The material is definitely plastic as it is stretchable.  It may well be a filter that is decomposing.

I'll let you know the outcome.
Enjoy Life!!
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:30pm
It's funny, I'm going into season 8. I winterize, dewinterize, sanitize check the filter at the pump. I have never ever had a speck of debris in the filter by the pump. So maybe it has something to do with the dealer, they told at the walk through that they flushed the tanks and the lines and cleaned out the filter and aerator. 
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by furpod

While I grew up drinking from water hoses, now days, they are all made in China out of who knows what.. so I don't do it anymore. 

Charlie's Third Law: China=Cheap=Crap. Think baby milk, wallboard, petfood, etc.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
Lead has often been mixed with vinyl to make vinyl more flexible. Lead will leach from the vinyl. Lead exposure is known to result in lowered intelligence and increased violence. Use a hose made for potable water.
Life is good.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:40pm
I have noticed that a lot of things made over there seem to end up with lead in them. I don't know if it's intentional or accidental, or a side effect of where things are made. I'm not judging, because they probably use a lot of the same things there, so there just may not be very good controls WRT lead.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:29pm
I bought the cheapest hose I could find in Home Depot.  It's made in the USA.  Surprisingly, there are still a lot of plastic products made here.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>