R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWind deflector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind deflector
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:37pm
Somebody recommended an aeroshield or aerodynamic wind deflector. At first I thought they were talking about one for the R-pod. But it looks like they are for the tow vehicle. Anybody know?
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:27am
There are two kinds of air-flow control typically used. Air deflectors usually go on the tow vehicle and attempt to smooth the flow of air in the void between the back of the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer. Those are mounted on the tow vehicle.

The second kind of air-flow control are vortex generators and/or spoilers. The "big butt" versions of the R-pod have a spoiler that disrupts the airflow off the back of the R-pod to reduce the vacuum that exists there. I'm not sure how effective that is, but there are vortex generators that you can install along the rear edge of the R-pod to try to fill in that same vacuum.

At least one of our forum members has installed the vortex generators: http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3916
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:28am
You can get air deflectors for the TV, but the highest speed rating I've seen on one is 60 mph. If you sometimes drive 70 like I do, it might not handle the strain.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:04pm
I use the AeroPlus by PurpleLine USA. If you don't have an existing roof rack, the AeroShield by Icon is the better choice. Limiting tow speed to 60 mph is not a problem. We arrive much more relaxed and with more money since we don't use as much gasoline as would be used at higher speeds. In addition, the legal towing speed in a number of states is 55 or 60 mph. It is legal to to faster in some states, but see the above for why to tow slower. The journey is part of the adventure.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply