R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPLEASE READ AND VOTE - Event Date: 18 Mar 2018 - 31 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Should religous comments go away?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [60.53%]
15 [39.47%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: PLEASE READ AND VOTE
    Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:13pm
"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

"The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free  your action will be."

" A life devoid of love is like a flower blooming in the wilderness, with nobody to enjoy it's fragrance."

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”

These are examples of religious quotes that inspire many.  Without attribution, they may be acceptable to all.  With attribution, some may have hurt feelings.  

One solution is to leave off the attribution.  Another is for all to agree that no one will be offended by the the fact that many find inspiration outside of the Bible and it is of equal importance to them.  If the latter is preferable, then we also have to keep in mind that the tag lines should be discrete and non-proseletizing.  The quotes, by the way, above came from sources other than the Bible.  One is from the Qu'ran, one from Buddha, one from the Dali Lama, and one from Swami Vivekananda (Hindu), but not necessarily in that order and none are from my personal faith.  I thought I had one from Kahlil Gibran, but may have messed up on that one.

My concern is that some may find inspirational tag lines attributed to other religions offensive to their beliefs, thus we are back where we started, trying to keep flash points of conflict off the forum.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:20pm
I'm not unhappy with the way things work here, but maybe today's little episode is an good example of how easily things like this can go wonky.  If I have to make a choice about this, I say cut the religion.  As far as freedom of speech, that certainly applies to the internet as a whole, but it doesn't apply to every website or forum on the internet.  You won't end up in jail for doing so, but you don't go on the website for Presbyterians and post questions about RPod plumbing issues.  Regardless of what you want to discuss, there are plenty of places to discuss or even argue about whatever it is.  I don't think this is one of those places, unless it's RPods, campers, camping, and related issues you want to talk about. 

For what little it's worth, I'm not sure a ban on religion in posts or signatures would prevent someone from making a lighthearted joke about something like camping gods or internet gods, or whatever.   I know when I read that it never occurred to me that anyone would take it as a religious post or a serious affront to anyone's religion.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:26pm
Fine by me, and no, I am not offended by any of the above quotes.  IF people were to live by the quotes you gave, this world would most probably be a less contentious and violent place.  The problem we have in the world deals with the human heart and that cannot be changed by legislation. This must come from an outside source and be changed from the inside out.  I feel it is good for all to read of different ideas whether we agree with them or not.  Whether we agree or not, that is up to the individual, not for the masses to dictate.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:11pm
Oh crap.. what did I miss.. Was it the "r-Pod Goddess" thing? PM me if needed... LOL

EDIT: Never Mind.. found it.

dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:01pm
Hello,
     I have to say, I am not particularly religious or tolerant(tongue in cheek), and I would be among the first to raise a protest if someone was pushing, or imposing their religious views on this forum. To date, I have not seen that happen. I believe there are 2 issues, the 1 I would protest is religious preaching in the body of a post(which I have not seen), the 2nd is a religious or faith based signature(which I have seen and don't see as an issue).  Let those with strong convictions post their signature, and maintain the ability to abolish "preaching" in the body of a post on a case by case basis by the admins, there is a difference.

In the end, the answer to the question is all we seek. I have posted numerous questions, and have appreciated the answers and respected the posters signature, with faith based signature or not. For this reason, I voted "NO" to removing the reference in the signature.

Words to live by "I don't have to agree with or understand your religious believes to respect you for being loyal to them." I am not harmed because I don't share your beliefs.

Thank you

2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:36am
OK.. My thoughts... after thinking about it some.

If the mere mention, in someones signature is enough to trigger you, it may be you have a problem.

If the mere tongue in cheek mention of a deity other then yours, is enough to trigger you, it may be you have a problem.

If the idea that someone may believe differently then you, triggers you, it may be you have a problem.

As long as "you" are not telling "me" what to believe, or how to practice my beliefs, and I am not doing either to you, adults should be able to slide on by, not get triggered.

If we are going to get super critical into the signature lines "content".. Then it should be there is NOTHING in there that references ANYTHING other then your Pod. This isn't a truck forum, a dog/cat/llama/pet forum. It isn't a location in the world forum, a family status forum, etc. etc.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:37am
    I think it is time to move on and get back to camping. Bad weather or good weather we all enjoy camping. Bring your pets with you if you have them they enjoy camping too. I was thinking to change the subject about adding another Topic to General camping forums.  "Camping On A Budget" or "Camping On A Boot Lace" something with ideas for camping with a limited amount of money.    David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Dave & Donna View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:49am
Morning, I'd just want to let Admin to know I appreciate all they do for the forum. I'd also like to thank ALL the one's with the camping, maintenance, & R Pod knowledge that Always comes through when I'm stumped!! The times I've asked for help, no one has ever brought up there
Personal beliefs, they all just helped!!
Peace & Happy Camping!
D&D plus Rusty
2017.5 R-pod 179
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:17am

Wow! We have some very thoughtful people here (I already knew that)with very good comments.

Though the jury is still out, early poll results don't look good for the religious tag liners. 2 to 1 indicate they would rather not see them.

In digesting the situation, I am reminded of a line from "STAR TREK: The Wrath of Kahn" : The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

I too "adjusted" my signature. My reason - I just do whatever furpod does - because he is almost always right!   

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by David

I too "adjusted" my signature. My reason - I just do whatever furpod does - because he is almost always right!   

LOL. You're going to get PM's...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>