R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBe careful out there...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Be careful out there...
    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:50am
This accident just happened close to me involving a travel trailer and resulted in a fatality.  I don't know if they had sway control and/or weight distribution, but i would assume that they did not since that should prevent this type of accident.  Just a reminder to check your setup and make sure that you are towing safely. 

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/one-vehicle-crash-results-in-the-death-of-a-child-in-donley-county
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
Sad to read.. all the Komfort TTs I think I have seen were pretty good sized, maybe partly an issue.. unfortunately, in this case, the fatality most assuredly happened due to no seat belt. 3 others, all restrained, minor injuries. I hate it for them.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:03pm
How sad.  In many states, it is difficult to drive at a safe speed while towing because the other drivers tend to be a little aggressive and abrupt when trying to get around a slower moving vehicle.  This often results in the slower driver being pressured to drive faster than one should and faster than one's ability.  The consequence is an out of control situation.  Whether there is a seat belt issue or a sway protection issue is unclear, but lesson for all is drive safely and understand the hazards of towing and take steps to avoid them.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:18pm
No one would ever pressure me to drive faster than I want to nor faster than what I consider safe.....No one.
Thank you..

coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:34pm
+1, fkat6s.

Even when I'm not towing, anyone who feels I am holding them back has my standing permission to pass me anytime it's safe to do so.  As long as conditions permit, my speed control is engaged at the published speed limit.  Anyone who needs to go faster may have at it...
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:05pm
No indication speed was an issue here. The fatality was caused by lack of proper legal restraint. It should be a reminder of reviewing your anti-sway procedures and your tow safely checklist. I practice mine while driving along so I'm accustom of what I "should" do if I get in an uncontrollable sway situation. First I aim to have 12-15 percent of the weight of the trailer on the tongue. It shouldn't be aft heavy or one side heavy. When sway begins and control is an issue, most experts say do not use the tow vehicle brakes, if equipped you should activate you brake controller override if equipped, that slows the trailer, that is the part I simulate while driving, to try and get to point it is familiar to me to do just that, without thinking. Lastly the tow vehicle has to be capable, Komfort RVs are generally large tandem axle trailers, was the vehicle capable?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:31pm
Use the "five second rule." Time your passage through or around cities. Keep alert for the two types of bad drivers: the fools who go s!ower than you, and the idiots who go faster.
Life is good.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm

This is a picture of the accident.  Cant tell much other than totally destroyed. 

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply