R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo Hot Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Hot Water
    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:39pm
We have a one year old R179. This is our first trip out this year. We are hook to city water so we are not using the tank. What could be the problem? Check breakers and everything is fine.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:55pm
Check the basics first.  Before doing anything else did you purge the air out of your cold and hot water lines?   Are the 3 valves set to non-winterized mode so that the HW tank is not bypassed?  Is the element in good condition?  The first time I tried my HW the valves were in the bypass mode, thus I fried the element and had to replace.  When you turned the element on do you hear the element heating or if on propane, does the ignitor click and the gas turn on?  I know this is basic, but a good place to start.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:02pm
Where do I check for the valves. We just had it dewinterized last week. This stuff is new to me.

I purged the lines of air.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:37pm
They are on the back of the water heater, and there are three ways to get to them.
1. Remove the mattress and plywood.
2. Remove the plywood veneer where the furnace grill is (need to unscrew furnace the grill 1st)
3. Climb into the forward storage compartment and remove a small panel with 2 screws in it.(this is a circus act).
This is what is looks like under the mattress and plywood.

in this picture you can see the (white) hot water shutoff in the bottom right hand corner, There are three valves here, the top is the hot water shut off. the lower is the cold water shut off and the middle ( that ties the two together), should be shut off when the system is not winterized. ( I really don't know why the middle valve is there, someone enlighten me). And you can see a white pipe in the upper picture against the front wall of the pod. The valve that this pipe is attached to needs to be shut, It's for sucking antifreeze into the system for winterizing. Iv'e never had to do it, but i here it gets really cold some places. :)

I removed the plywood veneer and remounted it with screws for easy access.
And I also cut a removable access panel under the mattress so i don't have to remove all the plywood, just the mattress. (for some reason I'm always monkeying around in here).
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:42pm
The valves are on the inside side of the water heater.  (Find the water heater on the outside.  You need to work right there on the inside.)  You may have to unscrew a kick panel or get at the water heater from the top by taking off the plywood from above.  It may sound daunting, but it's usually just a matter of taking out maybe 4 screws.  On most water heaters there are 3 valves.  The valves on the two parallel pipes need to be open (with the handles turned in line with the pipes).  The valve on the pipe between those two pipes needs to be closed. 

You can run the "hot" water at the tap or shower with the valves in the winter position, but the water bypasses the water heater, so it will never get hot, no matter what.  DO NOT turn on the electric element unless the valves are in the summer position and the tank is full.  The electric element will burn out almost instantly if not immersed in water.  I think the gas will cut itself off very quickly, maybe without damage, but don't turn on the propane either with an empty tank.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 11:28pm
Just cut a hole in front of the water heater and put a door on it  

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
Should also mention there are two CBs for the water heater - one inside at CB panel and one outside at WH. Do not turn both on until you are sure water heater is full.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
I have a 2017 172.  Four months into ownership, my water heater started to click on and almost immediately click off, never would stay on.  Took the control board, located near the tank, to a RV repair shop, which determined it to be defective. $80 for a generic new one.  Listen to see if you can hear a clicking sound.  Good Luck.
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:51am
I would bet the valves are in the wrong direction. Also, when using Electric you must turn on a switch on the outside after opening the waterheater access panel. Sometimes hard to see. MAKE sure it is full of water, BEFORE turning on the electric or you will burn out the element. Just run the hot water at the sink until no spitting and a continuous stream.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
I got partially under the bed. RV heater & grill directly to the left. Just past that there is a wood square covering with 4 screws. If I take this covering off you think that will give me access to the water heater and valves?
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>