R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery capacity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery capacity
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:24am
I was talking to my brother-in-law last night.  He's got a huge class A motorhome.  We were discussing the advantage to using 6 volt golf cart batteries, both for purposes of available amp hours and battery longevity.  By coincidence we both are using Costco 6 volt golf cart batteries.  After 12 years of pretty heavy use, he's replacing the bank of 4 at about $85 each.  He did say that he was very careful about keeping the battery water level always topped off.  I figured he knew a lot more than me since he's a retired electronic engineer.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
FWIW  i have an 80watt zamp panel that has served me well.  The zamps are more expensive than doing it yourself or other products.  But for most needs, an 80-100 watt panel should serve you well given normal loads and decent sunlight.  As you said, the pod is prewired for solar and the zamp is plug and play, nothing to figure out other than point at the sun.  All of this electrical, battery and solar talk only matters if you boondock(no shore power for extended period, say 3 days to equal extended) If you plan to boondock, you want a dual battery setup (either 6 or 12volt) and a solar panel. 

Again, i have an 80 watt and don't even drain my batteries to 75% when boondocking.  The electrical part of all of this is the biggest learning curve for me.  Generators also negate the need for all this discussion and planning as well, but then there is the noise.  But if you want the a/c while boondocking, you have to have a generator.  Hope this helps.  Also, while the dual 6 setup is of no use in the car, they should still boost the car to start given the pickle discussed above. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:28am
Well we are going into season 8 with the original 2 - 6 v set up. 
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:21pm
Probably 1 step behind marwayne as we are commencing year 8 with our original 2 - 12 v set up.  We do monitor water levels a couple times a year, as I am sure marwayne does as well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:39pm
I take my batteries out for the winter, heated garage. Come spring back in the pod, but always indoors.  
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
Dennis, here's where I sit.

For $239 I can buy a 12v deep cycle battery that rates out at 105ah. I have expected 105 amps to play with.

I'm buying two 6v (true deep cycle) batteries for $200 that rate out at 230ah. 230 amps to play with.

That's twice the power for the same money.

Now what's expected and what you get are two different things. 12v batteries of average can only be drawn down 20% +- before you get below running voltage. Also really meant as dual (meaning cranking and deep cycle).

6v batteries, again on average can be drawn down 50% +- depending on usage. Also meant just for slow draws. 

This is where 'you' need to think about what you really wish to run from your batteries. Ac or that heater are hard draws the 6v's really doesn't want to do. 

On that line, replacing power needs to be in the same duty cycle as your use. You draw hard on them, they need to be re-charged hard. 12v batteries love this stuff. 6v's not so much.

Batteries have a natural cycle they go through. They build up sulfate as they dis-charge and dissolve the sulfate as they charge. You draw hard and replace slow, you continually built sulfate on the plates. Important not only to maintain (either) but how you use.

Only you can determine what is right for you, according to 'your' usage. Or you can show us the list of items, by wattage/voltage and we may be able to assist.

That list will determine if you need a generator or can survive with solar/other means.

Hey, the only mistake we can make... Is not going camping!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:53pm
We often do six days boondocking on a single 12V battery with a Zamp panel (45W?) to top off the battery each day. No AC, no TV, but to us it's more enjoyable without the noise. So figure out your power needs a and build on that.
Life is good.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:12pm
Another option is to get two 12 v. deep cycle marine batteries and switch from one to another as you drain them, there are plenty of switches available that allow you to switch back and forth.  In the long run it'll probably be more expensive than the $170 +/- for the Costco 6 v. pair.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Denver poddie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
Hey I am new to RV battery stuff and I have read this thread three times over and also with some online research starting to get up to speed, so deciding on what the best set up for the rpod moving forward I have a question- looks like if I go two 6v at 205 ah I get 2,460 ah total ah capacity, if I go 12v 210 ah I get 2,520 ah capacity, so it seems to make sense to go with the 12v 210 ah because it will be less expensive and less weight- Any thoughts are comments would be appreciated
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 9:55pm
It isn't quite so simple. I don't think you are going to find a 12V 210AH battery. For example, the Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle for Deep Cycle 12V RV SI78AGM which is the highest capacity battery I saw on Batteries + Bulbs has a 20 hour rate of 105AH. That doubled is 210AH which is less than the 215AH of the 6V GC2 GLIGC110 batteries I have. While it is true that one of these is less than the two 6V batteries I have, two of them is significantly more, even with the current 10% off for ordering online and picking up in store. Even with the current $10 rebate on the 12V batteries, it would cost significantly more than the GC2 batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>