R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery capacity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery capacity
    Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:10am
Denver poddie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:49am
Hey Stephen, thanks for the input, check out this interstate battery I found, unless I am reading it wrong it has 210 ah, if you could check it out for me - interstate deep cycle SRM -29

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-29?productLine=rv&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 12:46pm
Group 29 weighs 60 pounds, is 13 X 6 3/4 X 10 inches, Group 24 weighs 46 pounds, measures 
11 X 6 7/8 X 9 1/2. Two 6V golf cart batteries weigh 61 pounds.

Might be simplest to just upgrade to Group 29 unless you are really serious about batteries, which I am not.

Does the built-in R-Pod battery charger have the 'oomph' to keep a Group 29 charged?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 1:21pm
The Interstate battery looks interesting. Make sure it will fit in the battery bracket. Interstate's site does not do an "apples to apples" comparison for "reserve capacity." The usual rate for comparing is the 20 hour rate. That is not addressed on Interstate's site for their 12V Deep Cycle batteries. I would be interested to see what the 20 hour rate is. It might not be quite so attractive.

Compare the GC2 batteries on their site and see that while the 25 hour rate for the GC batteries are 447 and 383, the 20 hour rates are 225 and 210 which is significantly less. I think you would find the 20 hour rate to be about half the  210 AH 25 hour reserve capacity or about 100 AH. That makes the Interstate batteries much less attractive.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
Two group 29's will not fit on the factory rack. The most amp hours for an unmodified mounting solution is 2 GC2's. If planning on a single 12v solution for more aH's.. go with a deep cycle marine group 29 or 31. 1 of them will fit.

Battery capacity and robustness is very tightly linked to weight.. generally a heavier battery is "better".. Please note, 2 golf cart batteries do not weigh 61 pounds.. they weigh 61 pounds +/- EACH.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 5:37pm
Time out here. Reserve capacity is Minutes at the specified current, not ampere-hours. The specified 210 reserve capacity is 210 minutes at a 25 Amp load (210/60 * 25= 87.5 AH). Given the 59.7 pound weight that's about right but a little low for a good Gr 29 deep cycle battery. As Furpod notes, battery capacity energy storage is roughly proportional to weight: more lead equals more energy storage. Two true deep cycle 12V batteries weighing a total of 120 pounds will store about the same energy as two 6V golfers. No free lunches here. Such deep cycle 12V batteries are available but they are hard to find.

Battery cells like to operate in series, not parallel. Then all cells charge and discharge equally. The only advantage of parallel 12V batteries is redundancy in case of failure. Swapping two 12V batteries in and out forfeits a percentage of available capacity due to Peukert's Law. For a given capacity two 6V golfers in series is the best way to go. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:20pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:24pm
Ok thanks all for the input! looks I am going to two 6v GC batteries, one last question what brand/battery should I go with? Stephen what brand are u running couldn't tell- Duracell? 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:39pm
Duracell from Batteries + Bulbs, 215AH SLIGC110 $89.99. Order online for pickup in store and save 10%. If you are a Sam's Club member, check their site. I don't know if it would be any less expensive there but they do have GC2 batteries listed at $84.52. Don't forget to add the core charge that your state requires plus any taxes for the final cost. For where I am in NC, the core deposit (refundable) is $21 each.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
Ok thanks those are good prices, can you remember where and what you bought for your battery box for this set up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>