Direct Link To This Post Topic: All things venison
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Leo B

I am for that!!  LOL 

You got it!   

lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:11am
Yes, the using the PM function is a great way to have discussions that might not fit the parameters of the board.  It's a good way to share ideas without the risk of unwanted attacks, no matter what your views are on controversial topics and you can share and explore them with those who can understand your point of view even if they may not accept it.

The sad thing is that we are becoming an increasingly polarized society and we all, myself included, tend to go to our own little echo chambers and find those places that share our own views of "reality," avoiding those who might inject their different perceptions of what is on the other side of our eyes from our brains.

But, as for venison, if you are ever in Morristown NJ, and venison is on the menu at Chef Freddy's restaurant, it is absolutely to die for.  The flavor is incredible and the sauce is out of this world.  It was so good I almost ordered a second portion [not to suggest that the portion was skimpy, it wasn't].   
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:05am
As long as they are cooked right, bear and moose are as good if not better that venison, IMHO.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
When I lived in Minnesota, the local Elks lodge would put on an annual moose feed. They did a slow-cook "pulled moose" style that was very good in sandwiches and other serving methods that would tolerate "unconstructed meat" style.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:12am
How about elk, wild pig and one of my old favorites Burro.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Leo B

As long as they are cooked right, bear and moose are as good if not better that venison, IMHO.  

I don't know about moose, or bear.. but if I ever get the chance, I will invite them into the truck too.. We do have elk here, and I have had it. I would say the same about it as far as taste..

But one thing to note, lots of people who cook deer, have no clue what they are doing, so there are many people who have had the opportunity to "try it" and don't like it.. Never happened at my house or camp. Smile

My late FIL got a deer in Kansas or Colorado years before I met them, he couldn't cook canned soup, IME, but he cooked that deer.. his whole, extended family, hated deer... Then I came along. Took a few years to get them all to try it again.. Now they all can't wait for deer season.. Big smile

And my wife is a mighty huntress in her own right.
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by furpod

We do have elk here, and I have had it. I would say the same about it as far as taste..

But one thing to note, lots of people who cook deer, have no clue what they are doing, so there are many people who have had the opportunity to "try it" and don't like it.. Never happened at my house or camp. Smile

I very much prefer elk (and wild boar and pheasant) over venison. The friends who do the field work are good cooks, but based on your comments I won't rule out that cooking might be the difference in flavor. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:07pm
I do like a good pheasant pie!   
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:35pm
Hmmm??, we have a lot of wild horses where I live, I wonder...........
No, I think I better leave that one alone.  We'er not in France.  ....But with a nice sherry and butter sauce...
[Notice:  This is only a poor effort at gallows humor.  I really wouldn't eat a horse nor kiss anyone who would.  ... well not because of the horse, but because my wife would not be very happy about it.]
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:52pm

I don't know what is done in other States but, Indiana has program to help the less fortunate (kind of cool IMHO):

https://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/3987.htm

The story of deer, in Indiana, is a curious one. While I need to refresh my memory on the published dates, I’ll talk “generally”.

Roughly at the turn of the 20th century, there was a day when a shot rang out in the woods and the last deer fell. Or, perhaps it was a fierce growling and showing of fangs. We can’t know for certain. Deer were no more. Between hunting for sport and food, along with their natural predators (like wolves) the last one was taken.

In roughly the same time period, predators like the wolf, were being extinguished in earnest. They killed our farm animals and livestock, even threatening humans at times. They had to go!

Between the need for food and the desire for sport, it was decided to re-introduce deer in the State. Deer also helped to keep some vegetation in check with what they ate. An important part of the ecosystem had been disturbed and needed fixing.

With their natural predators gone, deer flourished in a big way. The ecosystem can only support “so many”, especially with ever shrinking habitat, due to construction growth. We have to hunt them to keep their numbers in check. Otherwise, many would die a cruel death of starvation.

Though not a hunter myself, I have a certain reverence/respect (I’m not sure how to say it) for those that do hunt. They carry on a tradition of our not too distant ancestors and play a vital roll in keeping the ecosystem balanced, in “harvesting” excessive game populations.
Here in Indiana, “hunting” has been trending downward for several decades, as evidenced by the number of licenses sold. Personally, I would find it sad if this activity were to go away.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>