Topic ClosedAll things venison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: All things venison
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:07pm
Love it!!! Have had all three we had alligator tail at a restaurant on St Augustine Florida, was excellent! We had rattlesnake on our trip to the Grand Canyon at a restaurants in Tusayan, it was really good!
We have had frogs legs all over in Canada, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Florida done a few different ways.......really good!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Leo B

The secret is to lay long strips of bacon across the meat ............................helps substitute for the marbling and give bear and other meats some extra fat for cooking. Approve 

Did somebody say "BACON"?

Heck, I think that I would eat an old boot - if it had bacon on it!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by furpod

Yes, in most of the midwest and eastern states, deer were wiped out. Thankfully due to extreme regulation and management, populations are back to sustainable levels. One of the guys I hunt with.. a direct decedent of D. Boone, says that when he was a kid 60-70 years ago, there was no deer season, and to see one was something very special.. Elk were exterminated here in Kentucky in the 1800's. But.. 20 years ago, just about when I got out of the army, they started to reintroduce them.. This article is a decade old now.. But the population has done so well that many B&C bulls have been taken here. I put in every year for tags.. Linky to the story..

Thanks for sharing the link. Personally, I enjoy learning the history of things. Be it wildlife or the land that they inhabit and we enjoy, these things (in many cases) didn't just happen by magic. A number of people put countless hours of blood, sweat and tears into what we see today.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:22am
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by Leo B

The secret is to lay long strips of bacon across the meat ............................helps substitute for the marbling and give bear and other meats some extra fat for cooking. Approve 

Did somebody say "BACON"?

Heck, I think that I would eat an old boot - if it had bacon on it!

I am not a fan of bacon wrapping venison. The bacon tends to over power the taste of the venison.

BUT.. I don't want anyone to think I am anti-bacon in any way.. This is going on in my fridge right now, will go the smoker Monday morning..

(That is 5 pounds of pork belly becoming bourbon barrel peppered bacon. Will get smoked over hickory for about 2 1/2 hours... then sliced t h i c k... )

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:36am

Let me make 2 comments:

1. I am pleased and gratified that you clarified your position on bacon. I am quite fervent and passionate regarding bacon and will rest much easier tonight.

2. When are you serving?

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:45am
Approve Bourbon barreled peppered bacon that sounds amazing!!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:52am
Originally posted by David

Let me make 2 comments:

1. I am pleased and gratified that you clarified your position on bacon. I am quite fervent and passionate regarding bacon and will rest much easier tonight.

2. When are you serving?

Next week we will be at a rally in Maggie Valley NC.. This bacon will be used as part of a dish I am doing for an evening stroll, meet and greet.. a " amuse bouche"..

Pig Shots.

Just for brevity..

You take a piece of Polish sausage, about 3/4 to an inch long, wrap it with a piece of bacon, just long enough to go around it with a little overlap, pin in place with a tooth pick. forming a "cup" Mix whipped cream cheese with you favorite pork rub, then pipe it into the "cup". Place them in a smoker at 225F until the bacon is happy.

Enjoy. After "pork belly burnt ends" my favorite finger food for a group...
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:01am
It has been amazing to see how the deer have made a comeback over the past years.  We live on a strip of land that is between 1 - 2 miles wide and located between Lake Michigan and Torch Lake which is just over 19 miles in length.  The deer are pretty much corralled by the lakes but have dramatically increased their numbers.  Because of that deer/car accidents are quite common.  Just yesterday I counted 6 kills along a 10 mile stretch.
On a happier note, I must agree, pretty hard to top elk meat, although venison is near the top as well.  Also iguana is fantastic, had it a few years ago while in Crabwood Creek, Guyana, S.A.  Had to wait a few days for the seller to procure 3 large, live iguanas.  Chopped heads off, pretty much filet them like a fish, lots of currey and cooked over a large charcoal fire.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  Don't think they are native to N.A. though so one would have to travel a way to experience this enjoyment to the palette.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:04am

I have to stop.....I'm gaining weight just reading this thread!

You all have me yearning to fire up the smoker but, 3-7" of snow forecast for today. It will remain undercover for a while yet.

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:20am
Hmmm iguana's haven't thought of eating them...............................grand kids school has a couple big ones in their classroom Disapprove 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>