R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven - Event Date: 25 Mar 2018 - 25 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven
    Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:33pm
Need some advice on my oven as listed in title.  I have a 2016 Pod and this weekend while camping with shore power, the oven started acting up.  When off and the door is closed, the light stays on and the glass plate turns.  I can set the clock time and power level, but the oven will not set the cook time nor will it come on when I push the start button.  Any advice on what might be wrong.  It is about 2 weeks past warranty time(just my luck).  Thought I might remove it from the camper tomorrow, bring it is house and see if it will come on.  I know that I have to be careful as these things can give a strong punch of voltage, even while unplugged.  I know there is a fuse in there somewhere, but I would assume if the fuse was bad, the oven would not do anything at all.  If I cannot find anything wrong, i will probably just junk it and will be looking for a good replacement.  Can any of you out there in pod land recommend a good replacement that will fit in the same slot as the high pointe?  Any advice will be appreciated.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:18pm
Did you have a surge protector on your trailer's power line? If not, you might have caught a surge that fried something in the HiPointe's electronics. You don't say which model of R-Pod you have. In our 179, the CM plugs into an outlet inside the storage bin above the dinette. Find out where yours plugs in and unplug it. Wait a few minutes and then plug it back in. Does it behave normally now? If not, then something is likely gone bad.

As for replacements, you could look for a straight microwave if you don't use the convection part. That would likely cost less. Look for one that will fit the opening. If you want the convection oven part, then you may be stuck with getting another HighPointe.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by StephenH

As for replacements, you could look for a straight microwave if you don't use the convection part. That would likely cost less. Look for one that will fit the opening. If you want the convection oven part, then you may be stuck with getting another HighPointe.
There are lots of choices besides HighPointe these days. As for finding one that will fit in the space, it might be another matter. Here is a top ten list. Interestingly, the HighPointe is not on the list. Ouch
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:16am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by StephenH

There are lots of choices besides HighPointe these days. As for finding one that will fit in the space, it might be another matter. Here is a top ten list. Interestingly, the HighPointe is not on the list. Ouch

Well since the high point, good or bad, is built and marketed to the RV world, and that top ten list.. isn't, I can understand the HP didn't make the list.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:43am
+1 to Furpod. HPs are built for RV and mobile applications They are UL/CSA certified to over the road specifications. Basically designed to withstand vibration over the home use.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
disputin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:16am
We have this exact problem with our Highpointe occasionally.  It means the door didn't seat as well as it should and there is a switch not set.  I find if I push on the upper right-hand part of the door, it will seat appropriately and the light will turn off and the turntable will stop.  My thinking is somehow the microwave has gotten slightly torqued along the way and isn't quite aligned properly. It hasn't proven enough of a bother yet to think about replacing.

Sean & Christine Whitney
2016 179
2002 F150
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:31am
 Disputin Quote
We have this exact problem with our Highpointe occasionally.  It means the door didn't seat as well as it should and there is a switch not set.  I find if I push on the upper right-hand part of the door, it will seat appropriately and the light will turn off and the turntable will stop.  My thinking is somehow the microwave has gotten slightly torqued along the way and isn't quite aligned properly. It hasn't proven enough of a bother yet to think about replacing.

+1 Theres the answer! Happened to me 1 time. I took the micro out for something else and after remounting it hasn't happened since.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
It's always a good idea to either unplug it or flip off the breaker (it's on its own circuit) when not connected with a surge protector.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:02pm
Thanks for all of your replies.   Found my problem.  The switches on the door were not making as mentioned above.  Added a couple of layers of heavy duty duct tape to the contact switches and now all is well and working fine.  Talked to High Pointe early in the process this morning and they told me to pitch it and they would send me another one for $250 plus $50 shipping.  No way was I going to buy another High Pointe.  This one is only just over a year old.  Do, started looking and found the problem.  Thanks again fellow ponders.  Problem solved.
jacktherev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:16am
My High Point began failing last winter on our 5 month trip in the south. For the first year we owned the LTV installed oven we only used the microwave portion and all was fine. After using the convection feature a couple of times the oven started acting weird: The light would come on and the table start turning whenever we plugged into shore power. Thinking the Unity power might somehow be the culprit I unplugged the High Pointe and ran an extension cord from a garage outlet and plugged it in. Same result. It took a lot of button pushing and door opening and closing to get the oven to the state where it would work at all - not something that gives one a lot of confidence since it is contained within a wooden cabinet!
 Post Reply Post Reply