R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Route
    Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:35pm
Hi. Is there a best travel route from Arizona to Bend Oregon. Thx
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:53am
Slightly quicker, and less interesting way would be to take US95 north through Las Vega. More interesting, and probably more traffic would be to take I-10 west, then I-5 North. You could also go all the way west to highway 101, but the more important thing is what the goal is. Plan on three or four days regardless.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:11am
Thanks GlueGuy. Being a newbie, I should have asked for the route best for pulling my 179.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:28am
There are a number of routes, depending on what you want to see, whether you are in a hurry, or want to take side trips.  The most direct route though NV is U.S.95 & U.S.95 Alt. to Fernley, then cut across 0n I-80 to Reno and take 395 north until you get to the turn off for Klamath Falls.  Check Google Maps for routing.  There are a lot of things to see on the way.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:29am
I believe that the route should be I15. I95 is on the east coast. That would really be going the long way around. Confused
I took a quick look and I15 to I84 is one alternative. I10 to Las Angeles and I5 to Oregon is the other. Interstates usually don't have very steep grades which some non-Interstate highways can have e.g. Tehachapi Pass along highway 58 in California. I pulled a U-Haul trailer up that once towing with a Honda Civic CVCC wagon in 1984. That was a real challenge for a grossly overloaded and underpowered  tow vehicle. I had a bumper hitch and had to reinforce it with rope tied to the roof rack to keep the hitch from sagging. We sure did not set any speed records on that trip and had to turn the heat on and open the windows to keep from getting roasted in order to keep the engine from overheating on that climb. It is not something I would ever repeat but I did not know better at the time.

Edit: Yes, there is a US 95 there. I had forgotten. Sorry for the confusion.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:55am
That's why the Southern Pacific constructed the Tehachapi Loop.  It's was a very steep climb, needing a loop-de-loop [on which my great grandfather helped lay the track].  The big problem for the trains on the loop was a string-a-linging, where the train wanted to be in a straight line when being pulled, thus they added pusher locomotives to permit long trains.  The route north of Redding, CA, has the same issue for the S.P.

StephenH, U.S. 95 runs through Nevada, along the west edge of Area 51, where I get my Neptune air for my tires; not to be confused with I-95.  It starts at Klinefelter, CA, at I-40.  If you take I-5 north through California, you'll have to cut east at Weed, CA, and head to Klamath on U.S. 97, thence to Bend.  It's quite a bit longer using this route, but you get to see glorious sights like Coalinga and Kettleman City.  

By the way, the old CA-58 that you appear to have experienced, has been replaced by a full freeway built to the highest CA freeway standards, upon which the Interstate system is based, and the grades are not like the old days.  Personally, I liked the old 2 lane road, especially in the early spring when the golden poppies were blooming; a spectacular sight to see.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:11am
Now that I think about it, US-95 north (and then 395, etc.) might be the more fun route. I-5 through the central valley in California might save you a couple hours, but gawd is I-5 an awful road to travel. I've never had a trip north or south on I-5 where there has not been some kind of "incident". There has always been at least one nut job on the road trying to get around traffic and doing something stupid. The other side of the equation, is knowing that the incident is going to happen, and you are tense waiting for the shoe to drop. I just hate driving that road.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:22am
Watch out in Hawthorne, NV, along U.S. 95, they are very serious about speed limits.  Indeed, in most of rural NV you need to watch the speed limits going through the small towns.  They have a lot of accidents due to speed and tend to be pretty strict.  We see foreigners [those unfortunate enough as to not live in Nevada] pulled over along U.S. 50 being pulled over all the time when they don't realize that the 55 limit doesn't mean 65 or 70.  Even locals forget the limit and get pulled over too, so we don't discriminate.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:32am
Thanks for all the great replies. I think we will fly instead.LOL
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
OTOH, if you fly, you miss seeing large parts of the US. We drive along US 301 in Florida where there are several towns that have "Speed Limit Strictly Enforced" on the signs headed into town. I've seen the town's law enforcement sitting right at the sign waiting for someone not slowing down fast enough. Just pick a route, drive at a relaxed pace, knowing that if you need to pull off, you carry your facilities with you. It isn't like the time we were trying to get to our daughter's house in Las Vegas and got caught in a traffic jam headed to cross the dam (before the new bridge was built). All of us were miserable because there were no facilities.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>