R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires
    Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:23am
 Is there anybody out their that has had trouble with there westlake tires?

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:30pm
Curious as to how you got these on your r-pod.  Are these replacement tires for the original ones from the factory?  What are your tires doing?  Sidewall issues or what?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 5:11pm
He has an HRE...
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 5:47pm
That's an all terrain tire on HREs, Google it, there is some comments.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:54pm
We also have the HRE, and at least on ours, they are ST235/75R15, and rated for 2340 lbs. I haven't been able to find an "equivalent" tire online, as they are a non-standard size. The closest you can find are ST225/75R15. I suspect that Forrest River, and possibly other manufacturers ordered these special.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wood River Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:37am
I have discussed the 15 inch Westlake CR 857+ ST 235 75/r15 tires that came on our 2017 HRE Green 179 several times on this forum.  I was always hesitant to replace the 235's with the only possible replacements, 225's.  Our driveway has a slope, and with the 235's I had to remove the rear stabilizer save-a-jacks to get up the driveway.  However, in February I installed the Lippert 3 inch risers.  What a difference.  Now I would not have a problem with the 225's. 

We just completed a 2,500 mile trip from Idaho down to Sedona, then up to Lee's Ferry, SLC, and finally home to Idaho.  I watched the tires closely.  The C rated tires have considerable flex.  Around the Vegas beltway in the heat, I'd even say "squishy" (technical term).  With our 179 loaded, the C rated tires are close to max.  I'd like to get a tire with a higher rating/ply.  This should make the sidewalls stiffer and better handle the weight.  I'm less concerned about speed.  65 is our max.  That said, I do like the aggressive tread on the Westlakes and the clearance the 235 provided.  I know it's only a 1/2 inch, but sometimes that's all you need.  Truth be told, I'm not taking it in anywhere I think I'll get close to the treads terrains potential.  

I have searched the internet for a higher rated ST 235 75r15 tire.  None exists.  Sometimes the Westlake tire on our pod is a unicorn and can't be found on the google machine.  The option is 225's or LT/passenger tires.  From my reading I have learned that passenger tires on a trailer is not a good idea. 

The tires held up on the road trip fine.  But honestly, they are the one issue I can't get off my mind.  Prove me wrong, I'd love to have another option that keeps the original size. 

By the way...the trip was awesome.  Driving down thought Nevada and up though Utah, never saw the same sights twice. 
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:10am
Wow. Didn't think that the height difference between a 235 tire and a 225 tire would be that significant.

Personally, I think putting radial tires on a TT is a poor decision, but it seems the majority of "ST" tires these days are radial. When it comes time to replace our ST235 tires, I will probably bite the bullet and go with ST225 tires, but I'll be on the lookout for bias ply tires if they exist.

Just poking around a little bit, and I found that not all ST225/75D-15 tires are the same outside diameter.

Note that this Loadstar tire is 28.1" diameter: https://www.easternmarine.com/loadstar-st225-75d-15-trailer-tire-lr-d

And this one is 28.7" diameter: https://www.easternmarine.com/arisun-st225-75d-15-trailer-tire-load-range-d
bp
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wood River Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:02am
I think the actual difference some tire guy gave me was 3/8s. But then he made the comment that with the higher ply tire, the sidewall wouldn't flex as much, so you make some of that up. Since the slope of my driveway made coming and going so difficult I couldn't spare to lose an 1/8th. Now that I have the axle risers it shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to have to say goodbye to the tread of the West Lakes and move into a better 225 tire.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
TheFornstars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheFornstars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 4:27pm
Have you looked for 30 X 9.50 R15? Will be slightly taller and wider. 1.11" taller and .25" wider. I have not owned my Pod long, but from my observation this might work. Maybe someone will chime in that has tried.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by TheFornstars

Have you looked for 30 X 9.50 R15? Will be slightly taller and wider. 1.11" taller and .25" wider. I have not owned my Pod long, but from my observation this might work. Maybe someone will chime in that has tried.
Are those available in an ST-type tire? A little poking around I did not find any that are trailer-rated.
bp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>