R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWheel Bearing Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Bearing Maintenance
    Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:23pm

We purchased our first Rpod 180 at the first of the year.  First thing about the only issue was the right-hand brake did not work.  Soon after arriving home I removed the hub and found the brake shoes and magnet saturated with grease.  Removed the other side and found some on the shoes.  The grease pathway from the zerk fitting travels through the spindle and then discharges just inside of the seal.  Too much and the grease is purged through the seal onto the brakes.  This in my opinion is not a good way or option of lubing the bearings.  The manufacture says to fill the spindle with grease.  When the hub get hot from, mostly the application of the breaks the grease expands and puff, there goes your brakes and magnet.  Manually packing the wheel bearing is the best way to go.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:58am
I have mine packed amd the brakes inspected and adjusted eacj spring.  I have seen far to many trailers on the side of the road to trust the EZ lubers.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:18am
We have a local car repair shop that works from time to time on our car and truck take care of the bearings once a year.  They use a good quality grease and it's no more expensive than going to an RV service place and a whole lot faster.  Last repack, I was in and out in less than an hour, the price was fair, and the work was of high quality.  I could do it myself, I guess, but sometimes I get lazy.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:12am
During the first week of March we took our RP-179, purchased in September 2016, to have the wheel bearings repacked.  Our R-Pod has travelled just over three thousand miles since new.  Though the service was due in September, I waited until spring to have the service done because the trailer was not used during the winter and I wanted to be ready for some lengthy trips this summer.  Service personnel found the bearing seals leaking and had to replace the seals and one of the backing plates.  The service manager told me that the axle manufacturer uses low quality grease that separates into the thicker and lighter components and leaks through the seals.  I was quite surprised that the grease and seals would deteriorate in only 3,000 miles of travel.  We will see how things look when we have the wheel bearings repacked next spring.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 1:52pm
Seals are routinely replaced.  They are cheap and often destroyed when removed.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 4:59am
I appreciate all the responses.  You folks are helpful, considerate, quite well meaning, and have left me totally confused!

I guess I will go back to plan A and have my local mechanic repack the bearings.  Will he be able to deal with the EZ- whatever's ?
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:55am
Originally posted by coopercdrkey

I appreciate all the responses.  You folks are helpful, considerate, quite well meaning, and have left me totally confused!

As with so many things in life and camping.......there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Truth be told, I have used both methods and if we were to pull the hubs on my camper, right now, we would find the spindles pumped full of grease.

That said, I do believe the 2015 Trailer Life article/ Dexter's advise. This season, I plan to (soon) pull everything apart and clean/inspect/repack. Next year......????????

Yes/OK, your mechanic should have no problem in servicing the EZ Lube axles.

Here is what I SUSPECT in regards to the EZ Lubes:

The manufacturers developed them for marine applications. However, there is really no issue in using them for campers - they should work just fine. Why make 2 different styles of axles when one is fine?

Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 10:20am
When we had a local auto/tire shop put on the risers on our axle, I also had them take a look at the bearings before our 2,500 mile Sedona trip.  They said that it was ok, but soon would be due for service.  Grease was just starting to break down.  Went ahead and had it done.  One less thing to worry about on the trip.  We got the pod in September 2016 and had made a few longer road trips of 1,000ish miles.    Made it just over a year before service.  I'll now add that to the annual spring dewinterize list.  Cost like $85.  Cheap piece of mind. 
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:21pm
What kind of grease should e used on the rpod wheel bearings?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:33pm

I use a product called "Wheel Bearing Grease" from NAPA auto parts. It comes in a plastic tub - kind of like "Country Crock" or "Cool Whip".

I'm all set to service mine....I just need the weather to cooperate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>