R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew A/C, very quiet - Event Date: 15 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: new A/C, very quiet
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 3:38pm
Igblau,

So what is the stuff you're trying to fix? Lets see if we can work thru it. I had a 4 star I worked for years ago and he used to say it's hard to roll up your sleeves and go to work if you're wringing your hands:) Interestingly the trailer I did the most work on was an Airstream I owned.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 3:49pm
Holy carp... sell.

Please.
It will make all of us feel better if you let the buyers remorse go, and find something that fits your expectations better. Help the American economy, spend more money.

NOTHING made by man is perfect. You don't get Porsche quality for VW money. sh*t happens. Use your warranty. Etc, Etc.

On this forum, many many members got here because they had a problem or question.. so if YOUR view of pod ownership troubles is based on what you see here, your data is "skewed". I don't currently know the exact number of pods built at this point, and don't feel like making the call today to find out, but believe me it's a heck of a lot more then those represented here on this board. Thousands and thousands of owners (literally tens of thousands) have felt NO NEED to come here and ask questions, or had problems or issues.

If you go pull a chair up outside the entrance to a Mercedes Benz service dept entrance for a few days, you will soon be convinced that MBs are trash. It just isn't so.... But it will be the owners you see and interact with views. But you won't see all the owners WHO didn't need to come in.

Same thing here.

I am sorry you had issues, sorry you don't understand that a house that goes 70mph needs regular maintenance, sorry you expect perfection from the world when it just can't be achieved. I feel sorry for you that you can't just go camping and enjoy the experience.

In a world where there are RV's with $16k BATHTUBS.. a $16K camper is no big outlay, even if it was your last $. That's the truth of it. I don't necessarily like it any more then the next guy.. but it is what it is.

Pretty sure the original topic has been covered, dissected, and commented on, as much as needed.

That's it for me. I am out of this thread and ignoring the igblau. Maybe a great guy in person, who drinks top shelf bourbon, loves dogs, and eats thick cut bacon at every meal.. but I don't aim to find out..
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 4:54pm
mcarter....I fully understand that appliances, etc do break, but you will never convince me that the outside walls of your 11 month old Airstream came apart, and you had to figure out how to put it back together. What I have been trying to state is that the the repairs some members are being forced to deal with, should not have happened in the first place, and the”Oh Well “ attitude of some is BS. I do appreciate your past help, and respect your opinions. Thank You.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:06pm
Ok, if I can be of help, I will. I strongly believe in "Podders Helping Podders". Happy Trails.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:41pm
Igblau, I think you may have unrealistic expectations about the r-Pod.  Yes, there should be better quality control and some of the things that have been reported are concerning and have not necessarily been handled well by FR or by their dealers.  Indeed, FR does not seem to have very good control over the dealer network representing their products, based on too many reports of non-selling dealers refusing to fix warranty issues.  

But, expectations of a Rolls Royce hand made quality, or even that of a BMW or Lexis, are unrealistic.  These things are designed for the bottom end of the market that sells trailers with contained baths and galleys.  Their quality control is not the best and the workmanship reflects low paid workers who are pressured to put their focus on high volume not high quality.  It would not surprise me if the on the factory floor were paid piece work wages; a guarantee of marginal quality.  Now add to that equation the fact that all RV's use super lightweight materials and components that often are flimsy and unsuited to the task.  No, it shouldn't be that way, but there are not a lot of outside regulations controlling the construction of RV's as one would fine with building codes for the construction of human occupied or used permanent structures.  

Indeed, if strict building and quality codes were applied, many would find the prices would be far higher and they would howl about unnecessary regulation and government intrusion.  So, we have a bit of a laissez faire market in RV's and the market should sort out the good ones from the bad ones.  But just as Walmart is the biggest retailer in the country, price, not quality, is what often drives the market.  People will accept lousy quality for a cheap price.  If you want higher quality, then pay more and demand the quality you expect from the seller.  If he or she won't give you what you believe you are entitled to receive, go look for another seller.  And if no one wants to produce the quality you feel is desirable, start your own company.  And if the gamble pays off you'll be richer than Warren Buffett the owner of FR.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:08pm
Lostagain....I appreciate your lecture on Capitolism, but I do not want to start my own company. However, FR (Buffett) is gladly taking our money, in return for a shoddy product. Regardless of who his workers are, or what they earn we, the buyers deserve better. I fell in love with the looks, and idea of the R-Pod. I did not get on my hands and knees to inspect the bolts that hold the black tank on place. I bought, what I thought was a good American made item. It was represented to be a quality product. It did not have to be expensive to achive that. If you are happy with yours please enjoy it in good health, but when the siding starts to delaminate, remember the BS you tried to feed me.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
Really, Igblau, you'd probably be better off following furpod's advice and trading your Pod for some other brand manufactured by a company other than FR.  And though I go out of my way to buy things made in the USA, it is, unfortunately, no guarantee of quality.  To wit:  American cars were garbage until the Japanese started giving us competition.  

FR should fix your delamination there is no doubt about that.  It is a latent defect in workmanship that you could not have seen or known about.  Probably it's the result of a problem spraying the adhesive used to bond the fiberglass to the wall structure.  Could be a bad batch of glue, lousy application, or contamination that messed up the bond.  If they don't fix it, I'd see a lawyer about a breach of warranty and demand that they either repair it, pay the cost of repair, or buy it back.  

But from your posts you are trying to paint all rPod trailers as junk because you had problems with yours.  It is not an excuse for FR to build lousy trailers because they are marketing a low end trailer, but the reality is that they don't have the quality control that one would hope.  And it doesn't say much for the company, or Mr. Buffett, that they won't fix it.  But it is the way it is.  Short of getting lawyers involved, which will cost many times the amount in controversy, you're going to have to try to work with the dealer and FR to get them to fix it.  

On the other hand, many of us have found the trailers to be of acceptable quality for the price and somehow manage to deal with the things that should have been done better.  For us, the Pod is a pretty nice budget travel trailer.  But perhaps our expectations were more consistent with the reality of the RV market.  You simply have higher expectations and would probably be much happier spending 3 or 4 times the price of a Pod on a trailer that is of higher quality.  I guess that's the "BS" of the market.

By the way, if I encounter a delamination problem on our long out of warranty Pod, my solution would be to inject some epoxy into the affected area and try to get it to stick.  If that didn't work, I'd get out my old boat fiberglass tools and cut away a piece panel to see if there was a problem with the foam behind the fiberglass panel.  From there, who knows?  I've fixed bigger problems on boats.  But our 9 year old Pod is doing fine and I have had no issues with the quality of the construction, except that I had to vacuum out some debris and dress some wiring when I opened up previously inaccessible areas.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:37pm
+ 1 with Furpod.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Vector1952 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:16pm
Am very happy with my purchase and have not had an issue as of yet..Still going down the road..
Xxxx7
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:06am
I saw how the walls are made. There is a large machine through which parts go and adhesive is applied. This is lit with a light that shows whether the adhesive is evenly applied. The operator should see if there is any unevenness in adhesive application and fix it. However, we don't always notice things and so it could have been that there was a thin spot in application.

After the adhesive is applied to each layer, the whole wall section is run through a roller press that squeezes the layers together so the adhesive can fully bond them. I don't think the problem would be with this step.

The other potential point of failure would be if there were some contaminant on the surface of the lauan plywood or on the surface of the foam that would prevent the adhesive from forming a good bond. All the work is done indoors, but if perhaps a shipment of materials came in while it was raining and some of the plywood got damp and that was used before it dried, that could make for a weaker bond also. I don't know for sure, but I am speculating as to why some exterior walls could delaminate while others have no issues whatsoever.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>