R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI may be wrong..but?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I may be wrong..but?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:40am
I just finished a little modification to the shower hose attachment that may help.  [We haven't used it yet.]  I liberated the shower hose from the little ring retainer on the wall.  Using some repurposed sailboat parts, it's now attached with a shackle on the hose connected [allowing the hose to freely slide]. to two sister clip shackles, and is attached with another shackle to the wall.  I can separate the sister clips and the shower head can reach anywhere in the head.  It should make bathing a little less traumatic and it's handy to have the show head available to hose down the shower pan.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:28am
Lostagain... yes, we had a  Casita for 3 years and could not handle the wet bath thing.  That is the whole reason we bought our Rpod 180.  Huge difference in trailer living
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:00am
We've done all this stuff on a low budget.  

Bought the truck first because you can't live in a rural area without a truck.  It's just a necessity.  But I planned for it to be a TV, so I got one with a towing capacity that would accommodate a small trailer.  The truck was used but in good shape and had been well cared for by the prior owner.  It runs and feels like a nearly new truck.  Total investment, including some repairs, about $10K.  

The trailer is also used.  In fact, a little on the old side for the Pod world; a 2009.  Everything worked when we bought it, but we had a few repairs and upgrades along the way, the biggest of which was replacing the fridge.  All the other things we've done have not cost much and have made our Pod more comfortable for our way of doing things.  Total investment including repairs, mod's, and maintenance work is about $11K.   But the trailer looks and works like new now that it's had all the loopy stickers are off and it is polished to a brilliant white.  

My wife had never been camping in her life before we got our Pod, so I didn't want to invest a lot of our retirement money into a venture of an unknown outcome.  furpod is right about it being partly a matter of sleeping in your own bed, using your own bathroom, and having your own familiar germs instead of someone else's.  In fact, it was the avoidance of hotels that tipped the balance for my wife.  It's worked out well and we've used our Pod far more than I thought we would.  If we ever go "upscale" we'd get a TT with a separate shower, but still on the smaller/lighter end of the TT spectrum.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:56am
I've always had a pickup.  And before the RPod, I had a truck camper and I still have it and use it.

My take on your question is this:  Sometimes it's too far to drive somewhere to recreate and flying is the better idea.  But you cannot recreate by flying somewhere the same way you can by having a truck and RPod.

The freedom to explore, camp, and have your own stuff is huge.  There are so many places to go with a truck and RPod.

And then there's the quality of life issues.  When and if you're 75, will the expense of buying a truck and RPod matter more than having had the experiences they brought to you and yours?  Obviously, we all have to live within our means.

Life really is about living and it's awfully short.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:28am
My thought...
It’s not how much you spend on the rig.  It’s how much it cost you in the end.  That is the true cost.  In other words, you send 40 large, use it for two years, decide you don’t like the trailer thing and sell the rig for $34 k.  What was your cost...$ 6k.  So I would not look at it as costing $ 40.  It is an investment of 40 k but eventually you will get some of your investment back and that is when the true cost will be determined....
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:17am
It's not a "monetary investment" If you think, or want it to be, you are in for disappointment.

How much the time spent while sightseeing, hiking, camping, bonding, etc, etc is worth to YOU is a call only you can make.

I have camped since I was negative .75, she started camping when she met me. We have camped and backpacked on 3 different continents. Wore out a lot of gear. Finally started to wear out ourselves. Switching to a TT, and all of it's accouterments and issues, was a great idea. We are on our third TT and third truck.. though, we owned the first truck before a TT, and would still own one if we didn't have a TT. The only truck difference being we bought the last two with towing also in mind.

Oh, and while "out and about".. sleeping in your own bed, pooping and showering in your own bathroom, where only your germs have been, is a very very very nice thing. Big smile Or so she tells me.

and of course... Bacon.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:03am
Originally posted by John4TA

ok  My question is ...for $40,000..Do you all enjoy the TV experience that much to invest so much money?

This is an impossible question for us to answer. Only you can figure it out, but since you asked, in my opinion you're going about this all wrong!

Living in a trailer like the r-pod is like living in the world's most luxurious tent. If you like tent camping, you'll love the r-pod! 

?Have you tried tent camping? - That will help answer your question better than anything. If you are new to the whole thing, you're making a BIG mistake to get a trailer at this time.

Spending money on travel trailers is in no way an 'investment', neither is buying anything moving like an automobile. New, they lose 1/2 their value driving off the store lot, if bought used they still fall apart at an appreciable rate (that can be slowed with TLC). Check out how much and how fast the big motorized-home RVs lose their value! If you need a dealer to fix simple things as they go wrong, expect to pay $$ regularly!

We love our r-pod, you,  ....?

Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:50am
Just spent 17,975$ for a tow vehicle.
Have a new R-pod 189 being built with power jack, and delivered at 18,000$.

Spent 1k at Harbor Freight for Generator and tools, have 1500$ in Amazon cart waiting for the pod to arrive. (House is full, there is no room to put anything)

And compare all that with the potential to not have to live in North Dakota Winters any more.

Tis a bargain man, cheap at the price.

Thanks Mom and Dad for making this possible for me and Cindy.

Ohh and she is retiring at 62 4 years early so we can go make some memory's while we can.

Plenty of time in our 70's and 80's for sitting in a chair and remembering days gone by.

I want to LIVE a little before that comes.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:47am

Without knowing your "history", this is a tough call to make. Are you perhaps new to camping?

The normal progression for many of us has been to tent camp when younger and, over time, step up to a pop up, then to a travel trailer or fifth wheel....maybe even a motorhome, later.

If you are new to things, then I would favor a slow approach. I would lean towards getting a small camper (used) that your existing vehicle will tow (think Ebay, Craigslist, etc.). If bought "right" you will not lose a lot (if anything) when you sell it and it would be cheap education.

After taking a few trips, you would be in a better position to decide what you want to do.

My opinion is that we don't save a penny on RV vs. motel. When all of the expenses of purchase, insurance, maintenance, poor fuel mileage, etc. are added up, the total is substantial.

We RV because THAT IS WHAT WE ENJOY DOING. The cost becomes less relevant because of this.

Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Pod People

My point is you don’t have to invest in all new - try the rv thing with a good condition used unit and a good used tow vehicle. See if you like it and then one at a time replace the rpod with a newer model and ma ybe a different floor plan.  Same thing with the the tow vehicle. Spread the cash outlay out a little. You may not like it as much as you think. Then the “mistake cost” is much lower.  But, you probably will like it. So a trial period will also show you more of what you really like and dislike about whatever you initially buy.
Good luck
Vann
I think Vann's perspective is really sound advice. You could also try renting if that would help you decide your level of interest and therefore commitment. Overall, it comes down to lifestyle choices. For me there's no doubt as I came into this as a lifelong camper who won't give up camping until I'm no longer breathing. I've always had trucks and would have those without a trailer as others here have mentioned for their lives as well. So that money was/would be spent regardless. We have an RPod now because my guy saw this as a way to ensure that we could easily transition - when the time comes that even one of us needs to - from tent, ground and backpacking to exclusively using our trailer. The point being ... still camping. And we do indeed love our RPod as it really enhances our lives. Do you already love to camp? Do you love road trips? For that matter, do you love to drive? I sure do and so does my guy (who currently does all of our towing. I'm used to driving larger vehicles and in the mountains but my towing experience is very limited and I'm looking forward to practicing/working on it.) 

Other than renting to try to guage your interest, maybe think about all the things you do - or do not - spend money on. And weigh that against how much you think being able to camp in your own rolling home will - or will not - contribute to your quality of life. The answer to that is different for everyone. For us, there's no contest. But your results might vary. Hope this helps, and that you are able to make a decision that makes you happy and provides lots of fun. Whether it's renting a trailer or an RV from time to time or investing in your own TV and RPod. Because to me and I'm pretty sure everyone else here, the whole point of having our RPods is to be happy and have fun with them. 

2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>