R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI may be wrong..but?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I may be wrong..but?
    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:54pm
ok post here or move for more views?  We are now looking at $20,000 on a vehicle, Nissan Frontier, used with 17,000 miles. Have a dealer in N.J. 2 hours away set at $16,500 on a 2019 R pod 180. We need to include all taxes, insurance and so on.  My question is ...for $40,000..Do you all enjoy the TV experience that much to invest so much money? I see it as getting to places I will only see on the ground. Fly there and add the expenses. Me? meet America as I will never see from flying over it! Thoughts please...I need to know!!  Looking for the max input.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:22pm
As for $40,000, I suspect most people don't see their tow vehicle as nothing but a tow vehicle.  Mine is my daily commuter too.  I'd have it or something else probably capable of towing at least 5000 pounds regardless of whether I had an RPod.  I've had that kind of vehicle for decades and a camper trailer for about 6 years. 

I like flying some places but if I understand you right, you are very correct.  There is no substitute to having your feet on the ground as you travel. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:13pm
Thanks Tars..Seeing more of this investment as worth it. Keep them coming folks.

wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:17pm
Like Tars Tarkas my tow vehicle was already being used as my personal vehicle along with various hauling. I purchased my RP-179 used because I was not sure how much I would travel with it.  I would never have invested 40 grand prior to seeing if I would like the experience.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 11:21pm
We are using our second rpod and our second tow vehicle.  Our original rpod was purchased used and about half the price of a new one.  We used it for almost 6 years and loved it. We travelled cross country east to west and north to south. We put over 35.000 miles on it.

We finally figured out we like that kind of travel!!! So we bought our second rpod late last fall on the way back from our 3 month trip. It also was used.

Both rpods that we bought were so lightly used that they could almost be new. In one case, people bought them and decided they didn’t like rving and  it was too much trouble. The newer rpod was sold because the people immediately loved rving, but bought a huge

Our first tow vehicle was a daily driver, chevy astro van. Used it for 2 years and decided we like long distance travel so bought a ford expedition el.  Bought it used(30,000 miles). Still going strong at 85,000.

My point is you don’t have to invest in all new - try the rv thing with a good condition used unit and a good used tow vehicle. See if you like it and then one at a time replace the rpod with a newer model and ma ybe a different floor plan.  Same thing with the the tow vehicle. Spread the cash outlay out a little.

You may not like it as much as you think. Then the “mistake cost” is much lower.  But, you probably will like it. So a trial period will also show you more of what you really like and dislike about whatever you initially buy.

Good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:49am
We had our F-150 prior to the R-pod, so that was not part of our decision. We live in the country, and need a truck like the F-150 just to do some of the things we do around home.

The R-pod was a different matter. We'd been camping for all the time we've been together, including backpacking. As we get older, the easier camping experience we get from the R-pod is something that we thought we would (and we do) enjoy.

I don't know that I would advise you to go in "cold turkey". Only you can answer that question. Good luck.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Pod People

My point is you don’t have to invest in all new - try the rv thing with a good condition used unit and a good used tow vehicle. See if you like it and then one at a time replace the rpod with a newer model and ma ybe a different floor plan.  Same thing with the the tow vehicle. Spread the cash outlay out a little. You may not like it as much as you think. Then the “mistake cost” is much lower.  But, you probably will like it. So a trial period will also show you more of what you really like and dislike about whatever you initially buy.
Good luck
Vann
I think Vann's perspective is really sound advice. You could also try renting if that would help you decide your level of interest and therefore commitment. Overall, it comes down to lifestyle choices. For me there's no doubt as I came into this as a lifelong camper who won't give up camping until I'm no longer breathing. I've always had trucks and would have those without a trailer as others here have mentioned for their lives as well. So that money was/would be spent regardless. We have an RPod now because my guy saw this as a way to ensure that we could easily transition - when the time comes that even one of us needs to - from tent, ground and backpacking to exclusively using our trailer. The point being ... still camping. And we do indeed love our RPod as it really enhances our lives. Do you already love to camp? Do you love road trips? For that matter, do you love to drive? I sure do and so does my guy (who currently does all of our towing. I'm used to driving larger vehicles and in the mountains but my towing experience is very limited and I'm looking forward to practicing/working on it.) 

Other than renting to try to guage your interest, maybe think about all the things you do - or do not - spend money on. And weigh that against how much you think being able to camp in your own rolling home will - or will not - contribute to your quality of life. The answer to that is different for everyone. For us, there's no contest. But your results might vary. Hope this helps, and that you are able to make a decision that makes you happy and provides lots of fun. Whether it's renting a trailer or an RV from time to time or investing in your own TV and RPod. Because to me and I'm pretty sure everyone else here, the whole point of having our RPods is to be happy and have fun with them. 

2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:47am

Without knowing your "history", this is a tough call to make. Are you perhaps new to camping?

The normal progression for many of us has been to tent camp when younger and, over time, step up to a pop up, then to a travel trailer or fifth wheel....maybe even a motorhome, later.

If you are new to things, then I would favor a slow approach. I would lean towards getting a small camper (used) that your existing vehicle will tow (think Ebay, Craigslist, etc.). If bought "right" you will not lose a lot (if anything) when you sell it and it would be cheap education.

After taking a few trips, you would be in a better position to decide what you want to do.

My opinion is that we don't save a penny on RV vs. motel. When all of the expenses of purchase, insurance, maintenance, poor fuel mileage, etc. are added up, the total is substantial.

We RV because THAT IS WHAT WE ENJOY DOING. The cost becomes less relevant because of this.

Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:50am
Just spent 17,975$ for a tow vehicle.
Have a new R-pod 189 being built with power jack, and delivered at 18,000$.

Spent 1k at Harbor Freight for Generator and tools, have 1500$ in Amazon cart waiting for the pod to arrive. (House is full, there is no room to put anything)

And compare all that with the potential to not have to live in North Dakota Winters any more.

Tis a bargain man, cheap at the price.

Thanks Mom and Dad for making this possible for me and Cindy.

Ohh and she is retiring at 62 4 years early so we can go make some memory's while we can.

Plenty of time in our 70's and 80's for sitting in a chair and remembering days gone by.

I want to LIVE a little before that comes.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:03am
Originally posted by John4TA

ok  My question is ...for $40,000..Do you all enjoy the TV experience that much to invest so much money?

This is an impossible question for us to answer. Only you can figure it out, but since you asked, in my opinion you're going about this all wrong!

Living in a trailer like the r-pod is like living in the world's most luxurious tent. If you like tent camping, you'll love the r-pod! 

?Have you tried tent camping? - That will help answer your question better than anything. If you are new to the whole thing, you're making a BIG mistake to get a trailer at this time.

Spending money on travel trailers is in no way an 'investment', neither is buying anything moving like an automobile. New, they lose 1/2 their value driving off the store lot, if bought used they still fall apart at an appreciable rate (that can be slowed with TLC). Check out how much and how fast the big motorized-home RVs lose their value! If you need a dealer to fix simple things as they go wrong, expect to pay $$ regularly!

We love our r-pod, you,  ....?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>