R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI may be wrong..but?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I may be wrong..but?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:17am
It's not a "monetary investment" If you think, or want it to be, you are in for disappointment.

How much the time spent while sightseeing, hiking, camping, bonding, etc, etc is worth to YOU is a call only you can make.

I have camped since I was negative .75, she started camping when she met me. We have camped and backpacked on 3 different continents. Wore out a lot of gear. Finally started to wear out ourselves. Switching to a TT, and all of it's accouterments and issues, was a great idea. We are on our third TT and third truck.. though, we owned the first truck before a TT, and would still own one if we didn't have a TT. The only truck difference being we bought the last two with towing also in mind.

Oh, and while "out and about".. sleeping in your own bed, pooping and showering in your own bathroom, where only your germs have been, is a very very very nice thing. Big smile Or so she tells me.

and of course... Bacon.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:28am
My thought...
It’s not how much you spend on the rig.  It’s how much it cost you in the end.  That is the true cost.  In other words, you send 40 large, use it for two years, decide you don’t like the trailer thing and sell the rig for $34 k.  What was your cost...$ 6k.  So I would not look at it as costing $ 40.  It is an investment of 40 k but eventually you will get some of your investment back and that is when the true cost will be determined....
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:56am
I've always had a pickup.  And before the RPod, I had a truck camper and I still have it and use it.

My take on your question is this:  Sometimes it's too far to drive somewhere to recreate and flying is the better idea.  But you cannot recreate by flying somewhere the same way you can by having a truck and RPod.

The freedom to explore, camp, and have your own stuff is huge.  There are so many places to go with a truck and RPod.

And then there's the quality of life issues.  When and if you're 75, will the expense of buying a truck and RPod matter more than having had the experiences they brought to you and yours?  Obviously, we all have to live within our means.

Life really is about living and it's awfully short.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:00am
We've done all this stuff on a low budget.  

Bought the truck first because you can't live in a rural area without a truck.  It's just a necessity.  But I planned for it to be a TV, so I got one with a towing capacity that would accommodate a small trailer.  The truck was used but in good shape and had been well cared for by the prior owner.  It runs and feels like a nearly new truck.  Total investment, including some repairs, about $10K.  

The trailer is also used.  In fact, a little on the old side for the Pod world; a 2009.  Everything worked when we bought it, but we had a few repairs and upgrades along the way, the biggest of which was replacing the fridge.  All the other things we've done have not cost much and have made our Pod more comfortable for our way of doing things.  Total investment including repairs, mod's, and maintenance work is about $11K.   But the trailer looks and works like new now that it's had all the loopy stickers are off and it is polished to a brilliant white.  

My wife had never been camping in her life before we got our Pod, so I didn't want to invest a lot of our retirement money into a venture of an unknown outcome.  furpod is right about it being partly a matter of sleeping in your own bed, using your own bathroom, and having your own familiar germs instead of someone else's.  In fact, it was the avoidance of hotels that tipped the balance for my wife.  It's worked out well and we've used our Pod far more than I thought we would.  If we ever go "upscale" we'd get a TT with a separate shower, but still on the smaller/lighter end of the TT spectrum.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:28am
Lostagain... yes, we had a  Casita for 3 years and could not handle the wet bath thing.  That is the whole reason we bought our Rpod 180.  Huge difference in trailer living
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:40am
I just finished a little modification to the shower hose attachment that may help.  [We haven't used it yet.]  I liberated the shower hose from the little ring retainer on the wall.  Using some repurposed sailboat parts, it's now attached with a shackle on the hose connected [allowing the hose to freely slide]. to two sister clip shackles, and is attached with another shackle to the wall.  I can separate the sister clips and the shower head can reach anywhere in the head.  It should make bathing a little less traumatic and it's handy to have the show head available to hose down the shower pan.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:41am
Thanks you all for the replies. As far as cost, just got news today my car needs couple thousand in work a 2000 Maxima. Not worth it so we now need a vehicle . I have camped quite a bit in my time, from Cub Scouts on up.Just no need to wake up on the floor anymore. My oldest daughter hiked the 2,260 mile of the Appalachian trail 2 years ago. Camping in our blood. Think the TT Gods are smiling on me.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:03am
Just watch out for the camping goddes, if you get a Pod and don't use it, there is a price to pay. Wink
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:07am
My goal for a TV was to have a vehicle for everyday use as well as for towing. That meant getting enough towing capacity for the RPod (5000 pounds minimum) but not sacrificing a lot in the way of fuel mileage when not towing. We ended up with a 2012 Toyota Highlander V6 because it was a good compromise. It was close to $40k, but so far, it has proved its worth in both scenarios.

As others have said, you won't save money with an RPod vs. reasonable motels. In fact, I doubt you'd ever make up the difference unless you travel A LOT. Most of us have travel trailers for their convenience, not their economy.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by lostagain

Just watch out for the camping goddes, if you get a Pod and don't use it, there is a price to pay. Wink

BACON!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>