This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dump Station Newbie etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dump Station Newbie etiquette
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:30am
So I have all the gear for the black/grey tank purge and have done it 4 times in the 1st year of owning the Pod and feel confident in what I need to do...but those events were twice in the private campground camp site and twice using my backyard septic tank cleanout.   I've never used a public dump station so my question is about the normal expected time for the process.  I timed it last night at my house and figure about 20 minutes total.   Is this a good time?  Translation, if a fellow RVer is waiting behind me at the dump station, how long will it be before he starts getting impatient?  Should I pull out the NASCAR pit crew playbook and study it?  Don't want to rush the process but don't want to piss anyone off either.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:14am

20 mins. seems like a long time, to me. If there are folks waiting behind me, I hook up, dump the black, the gray, disconnect and give the hose (and area around the drain) a quick rinse. I then pull forward to allow the next guy to dump, while I fill the black tank with some water and chemical.

Note: I do not use (or even have) tank rinse capability.

Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:23am
I had already thought about dumping then having the wife pull forward out of the area to get re-organized including adding chemical and water.  And I was using the black tank flush but didn't totally refill the tank....more like a rinse till I saw clear liquid.  Thanks for the response.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Happy Tripping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by David

20 mins. seems like a long time, to me. ... Note: I do not use (or even have) tank rinse capability.

This is a good question for those of us, like me, who haven't had to wait in a line, yet. 

I'm afraid that because of my lack of 'routine' practice, 20 minutes would be in my range as well, but I do rinse routinely to avoid plugging with 'stuff'. 

I'm very interested, along with the original poster, in how long our more experienced R-Podders need, but with rinsing. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:58am
If there is a line.. I hook up the sewer hose, do the dump.. go on. The tank doesn't need to be rinsed vigorously every dump. I do it a couple times a year, at home. (FHU's here)

It's more important in my experience, to make sure you have PLENTY of liquids in the black tank to help solids move along. I have found that a tervis tumbler is just the right size to put behind the flush handle to "top off" the black tank before rolling to the dump station. You can also use one of these.. but that's one of them there unitaskers..

The point is.. you will never ever ever ever get the tank "clean".. it's had poop in it. Empty and go.Rinse any extra when convenient. We have never had a clog, ever, on the "exit" side. Someone in this camperhold has stopped up the down pipe. I ain't naming no names, but.. it wasn't me or the dog.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by furpod

If there is a line.. I hook up the sewer hose, do the dump.. go on. The tank doesn't need to be rinsed vigorously every dump. I do it a couple times a year, at home. (FHU's here)It's more important in my experience, to make sure you have PLENTY of liquids in the black tank to help solids move along. I have found that a tervis tumbler is just the right size to put behind the flush handle to "top off" the black tank before rolling to the dump station. You can also use one of these.. but that's one of them there unitaskers..The point is.. you will never ever ever ever get the tank "clean".. it's had poop in it. Empty and go.Rinse any extra when convenient. We have never had a clog, ever, on the "exit" side. Someone in this camperhold has stopped up the down pipe. I ain't naming no names, but.. it wasn't me or the dog.

+1 to everything stated.

Tank rinsers are a fairly recent thing on RVs, not being available until the last few years. After dumping, put 5 gallons (+ or -) in the black tank, along with your favorite chemical and get on down the road. The "sloshing" will break down any small bits that are in there. It's how we've done things for decades.

If I have to wait 20-30 mins. behind you..........I'm sending Dixie up there to hurry you along!   

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Happy Tripping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:58pm

The tank doesn't need to be rinsed vigorously every dump.

That sounds ok, but, ... What about the sewer hose? That has had first the black and then the grey tank contents flushed thru it. The residual dripping grey water in the hose, I should think, would start stinking and attracting maggots pretty soon(?).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

That sounds ok, but, ... What about the sewer hose? That has had first the black and then the grey tank contents flushed thru it. The residual dripping grey water in the hose, I should think, would start stinking and attracting maggots pretty soon(?).

After disconnecting, rinse the dump hose with clean water (available at all dump stations). As a courtesy, I also rinse down the area around the drain to flush away any drips that may have happened.

10 minutes tops.....or I'm sending Dixie!   

Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:14pm
I hope you and Dixie are never behind me, waiting on me....  Disapprove

Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

I run the grey through it.. 30 gallons plus of shower soap etc.. pretty much rinses it out.. BUT.. just like the black tank.. you are never ever ever ever going to get it "clean".. it had poop in it. Our hose has caps on the ends, no stink yet..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>