Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dump Station Newbie etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dump Station Newbie etiquette
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:36pm

See new signature....

I've never timed myself but, 5-10 minutes should be enough - again, if people are waiting and you want to be considerate. Otherwise, take as long as wished.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm
Time saver: those plastic rubber latex gloves suck. put a bottle of sanitizer and some paper towels in a convenient place, and just clean up after..
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:02pm
I wouldn't mind waiting a couple extra minutes if people weren't so damn inconsiderate about getting their crap all over the place. I now have purchased shoe covers as well as gloves and alcohol wipes. I really hate walking up to the dump area and see crap on the cement slab. I use grey tank treatment too, to help clean the slinky after dumping the black. I also try to fill the tanks before i dump, more liquid, more clean. I think 10 -12 minutes is plenty, then a few minutes fumagating once out of the way.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:04pm
Our normal is 10-12 minutes, when finished DW pulls unit ahead for next person while I clean/wash hands.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I really hate walking up to the dump area and see crap on the cement slab.

Yet another serious breach of dump station protocol! It sounds like Dixie and I will need to get busy.

"Dixie.....Bad Dumper........TAKE 'EM!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKvw2rAmk9g

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:50pm
As the emporer said to darth vadar  :  "Good . . . . Good!"
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:54pm
I've seen people park in the get-around lane where more than one dump station is available.  So if the front-most station is available but someone just started at the hind-most station, there's not a durn thing you can do but wait.  Point being, some situational awareness is always good.

I think about 10 minutes is right.  I rinse my hose after finishing, which takes 10 seconds.  Unless there is no one behind me and no prospect of anyone else showing up I would never think of rinsing my tank at the dump station!  Of course if I make a mess or the person before me left a mess, I'll take whatever time is necessary to leave it clean.  (Short of a catastrophic accident, cleanup shouldn't take more than a minute.  Two or three tops.)   One can abuse how much time they take to dump but as far as I'm concerned, etiquette absolutely requires leaving the dump station as clean as you'd like to find it

I try to use vinyl gloves but I also keep some germicidal wipes around.  I'm not obsessive about either though.  There's water at the dump station and/or in the Pod; worst case you can wash up.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:53pm
I keep a box of blue nitrile gloves in the underneath storage where I keep the bin that holds the waste-water items that don't fit the hose carrier. Harbor Freight sells the 5 mil medium duty gloves at a good price for a box of 100. I go through a lot of them at home for messy jobs also so I usually pick up a box or two when I get by HF.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:29am
Ditto on the HF blue nitrile gloves....use those for everything.  Wife even uses them for household stuff.  Also have a box in my tongue storage box.  

Thanks for all the feedback.  I now have a great perspective on what I need to do.  My initial routine time effort was a little relaxed....I wasn't in much of a rush.  And I did the black tank flush which after reading the input and thinking about it more, I conclude is not critical at every dump.  Like I said, I had already thought about having the wife pull everything forward out of the way so I could then clean up.  Guess everything is a routine after you've done it a few times......getting there!
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Subzilla

Ditto on the HF blue nitrile gloves....use those for everything.  Wife even uses them for household stuff.  Also have a box in my tongue storage box.  
Thanks for all the feedback.  I now have a great perspective on what I need to do.  My initial routine time effort was a little relaxed....I wasn't in much of a rush.  And I did the black tank flush which after reading the input and thinking about it more, I conclude is not critical at every dump.  Like I said, I had already thought about having the wife pull everything forward out of the way so I could then clean up.  Guess everything is a routine after you've done it a few times......getting there!

It sounds like you are good to go!    As you said - with practice...
One advantage to waiting In line is that we can learn from the guy/gal in front of us - in sort of "monkey see, monkey do" fashion.

Personally, I'm a "glove user". However, I probably use them more frequently for stuff around the house, like changing oil, painting with oil-base paint, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>