This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dump Station Newbie etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dump Station Newbie etiquette
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:17am
Like Subzilla and others its HF blue nitrile gloves for me! As for coming up to pad and finding crap all over it well that why there should be a hose there to wash it all away down the sewer drain and if others wanting to use the dump station behind me have to wait to bad! If no one is behind me waiting I will use the black water flush and rinse out the tank one or two times to clear up the tank sensors. It amazes me that no one makes, as far as my RV people tell me, black water sensors that clear out once you dump the tank. I'm also perplexed at how many campgrounds I've stayed at in places like State Parks which have no sewer hookups and they only have one dump station for a large number of sites. Though the best I saw was in a State Park in PA that had like a three lane dump station if my memory serves me right.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by DavMar

I'm also perplexed at how many campgrounds I've stayed at in places like State Parks which have no sewer hookups and they only have one dump station for a large number of sites.

In Indiana, this is common. Most seem to have one dump station with two "bays". Weekends (especially holidays) can be very busy. Most everyone leaves on the same day, in roughly the same time frame. This is where time occupying the dump station becomes critical. If you happen to be guy #10 in line, and everyone in front of you is taking 20 minutes to dump......you would be waiting/idling for over 1 1/2 hours.

However if you are guy #200, you would be waiting over 33 hours. This is why, when others are waiting, we need to get 'er done asap.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:31pm
I think.. some of it is, the age of the campgrounds.. even 30 years ago, most campers didn't have facilities..Now almost all do..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by furpod

I think.. some of it is, the age of the campgrounds.. even 30 years ago, most campers didn't have facilities..Now almost all do..

+1 Agreed. Our DNR folks are doing what they can to cope and change - as camping has changed over the decades.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:32pm

Just for the halibut, I timed myself when dumping this morning. From the time I put on the rubber gloves, until I climbed back in the truck to drive home was 8 minutes. This included the time of pumping 5-6 gallons of water into the black tank (along with the chemical).

There was nobody waiting so, I didn't hurry excessively.

Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:19am
Cool.....did that include the gray and black tank?  Washing around the area?  Washing out the stinky slinky?  Just curious....still trying to compare.  We'll test again in about a month in Florida!
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Subzilla

Cool.....did that include the gray and black tank?  Washing around the area?  Washing out the stinky slinky?  Just curious....still trying to compare.  We'll test again in about a month in Florida!

Yes to all. About half of that time was "recharging" the black tank. So, I'm thinking, if I had omitted that (as if people were waiting), the time would have been 4-5 minutes.

Like many things, "practice makes perfect".

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Happy Tripping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:34am
Originally posted by David

...  if I had omitted that (as if people were waiting), the time would have been 4-5 minutes.

That seems quite fast. For the benefit of us slower people please briefly go thru, step by step, your system from the time you first stop at the dump station to the time you finish putting stuff away.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:32am
With my arthritic hands, it sometimes takes me half that time just in getting the connections on and off. I don't think I could get my time down that low. Even the plastic wrenches that are made to assist in getting the connections on and off don't work very well as they flex and slip instead of gripping the lugs to help me turn the connection. I'm open to ideas on what would work better. I have already tried a strap wrench also, but it also did not work very well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:40pm
StephenH, You might try this tool, they also great for tightening plumbing fixtures and you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for less then 8 bucks. A RV repairman turned me on to it.

https://www.amazon.com/ZILONG-Handles-Nonslip-Removes-Filters/dp/B0787NK5BN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527279591&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=oil+filter+pliers&psc=1

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>