Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dump Station Newbie etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dump Station Newbie etiquette
    Posted: 26 May 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Originally posted by David

...  if I had omitted that (as if people were waiting), the time would have been 4-5 minutes.

That seems quite fast. For the benefit of us slower people please briefly go thru, step by step, your system from the time you first stop at the dump station to the time you finish putting stuff away.

While packing to leave – take a pair of rubber gloves from the storage compartment, while open, and place in the truck cab. Set a bottle of black tank chemical in the bath sink.

Begin putting rubber gloves on hands when exiting the truck and walking towards the camper.

Stop and remove dump hose from it’s carrier tube.

Walk a couple of steps further and remove trailer's dump outlet cap.

Twist on dump hose and insert other end in the dump station inlet.

Pull valve on black tank and allow to drain.

Close black tank valve and open grey tank valve.

Enter trailer and fill the toilet with 3 bowls of water, along with chemical.

Exit trailer.

Close grey valve and remove dump hose.

Put cap back on trailer dump outlet.

Rinse dump hose and ground area around dump outlet (for any drips).

Return dump hose to it’s carrier tube and twist on cap.

Remove gloves and enter truck.

Place truck in gear and drive away.

8 Minutes............honest. Like so many things, we get better with practice.

If there are people waiting, I postpone the "inside the trailer" stuff. I wait on the grey to finish draining. After pulling forward and clear of the dump station, then do the inside stuff.

As a side note, Dixie and I will exercise enforcement discretion with StephenH, given the arthritis.   The rest of you get no slack!   

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Happy Tripping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 2:33pm

[/QUOTE]

8 Minutes............honest. Like so many things, we get better with practice.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's a nice target for some of the rest of us (like me) to try to match. 

I keep all of the gear in a box in my rear storage compartment,including a Flushking reverse flow valve for 'plug emergencies' and disinfectant in case of disaster. This box includes a separate 90 degree outlet I must always attach to the end of the sewer tube to fasten it to the sewer opening, and then detach and put away when done, and another clear plastic segment that is added between the tube and the black/grey tank outlet (The 171/172 has a combined outflow tract) and that also must be detached after use and put away. 

"Practice makes perfect."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by DavMar

StephenH, You might try this tool, they also great for tightening plumbing fixtures and you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for less then 8 bucks. A RV repairman turned me on to it.

https://www.amazon.com/ZILONG-Handles-Nonslip-Removes-Filters/dp/B0787NK5BN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527279591&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=oil+filter+pliers&psc=1

Surprisingly enough, we are visiting my younger daughter and she has one of those filter pliers that she is not using. She said I could take them. I tried them and they are perfect.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by David

As a side note, Dixie and I will exercise enforcement discretion with StephenH, given the arthritis.   The rest of you get no slack!   

Tick...tick....tick....did Dixie have a stop watch timing you? Tongue
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Surprisingly enough, we are visiting my younger daughter and she has one of those filter pliers that she is not using. She said I could take them. I tried them and they are perfect.

Glad to hear my suggestion helped you out Stephen. I don't have arthritis in my hands, yet, but I sure don't have the strength I use to have once upon a time to be able to tighten or loosen plumbing fixtures and such. I'm surprised that it seems this simple tool isn't well known among RV'ers?   
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:12am
I'm surprised also. I was very disappointed with the plastic"wrenches." It would make more sense for an outfit like Cancel or Valterra to package and market these filter wrenches to the RV market instead of cheap plastic "wrenches" that don't work.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crankster78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crankster78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:45am
Greetings

I have a set of heavy duty gloves that come up about half way on my arms, dump the black then the grey, most dump stations will have a water supply and you can flush the hose a bit more.  Seldom do I have folks waiting behind me, but when I do they wait their turn like I did.   Having worked on a farm when I Was young and cleaned the barn, and the pig yard,  It's no big deal to me. Camping is supposed to get you close to nature.  

Crankster78 R-179 F-150 
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I'm surprised also. I was very disappointed with the plastic"wrenches." It would make more sense for an outfit like Cancel or Valterra to package and market these filter wrenches to the RV market instead of cheap plastic "wrenches" that don't work.

Stephen, both you and I agree that were both surprised that this type of wrench is not known far and wide to the RV community and that some supplier hasn't marketed such for RV'ers. When I learned of such a simple solution to plumbing problems we all may face I had to smack my forehead and just say dahhhhh! Embarrassed
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ricktoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 11:30am
Just a quick note. If I am next in line I will preset some things to be ready. Pull out the drain hose and set it near the dump station. Get on my gloves and be set to hookup as soon as the dump station is clear. If possible wife helps attach black tank flush. We connect the dump hose to black and turn on the flush. Drain, close for a minute, drain again then dump the grey.  Close the valves, put on the caps, flush the hose and rinse the dump area and put the hose  away and move on. About 8-10 minutes even with the black flush. Final items like adding water and chemicals to black tank can be done after moving away from dump area.

Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 5:14pm
edit: removed quote from spammer

Cyrus, I hope you realize that your going to need a sewer connection or access to the clean out lid of your septic tank or a drain connection to your city sewer? If you have that you have it made just follow the hints and directions from this thread. Its just like you would do at a campground dump station but at home you can take your sweet time and flush out the tank good.

Hint...you might want to look into a what some people call a sewer or toilet wand. Which is just a four foot or so section of pipe connected to an on/off valve which connects to a water hose. Easy to make and great for cleaning out a plug up black tank or just general cleaning.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>