R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Warranty Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Warranty Repairs
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:40pm
+1 Mike, very good advice! Be persistent and be forceful if need be but always polite. I can't prove it but I think there are dealers out there who say if you don't buy it from me you can't have your warranty work done by me. That where a call or emails to Forest River and Ms. Ebbole in the warranty/claims department can quickly resolve such non-sense and remember you can also always use an independent RV repair shop with authorization from FR.  
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:49am
There are in fact many dealers who will and can 100% refuse warranty work if you didn't buy it from them.  My dealer as an example is one of those.

Not all authorized service centers are like that, but there are plenty of them out there that are.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by kymooses

There are in fact many dealers who will and can 100% refuse warranty work if you didn't buy it from them.  My dealer as an example is one of those.

Not all authorized service centers are like that, but there are plenty of them out there that are.

QFT.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:06pm
Seems to me there just maybe one dealer in Central KY area that is a problem by refusing to do warranty work from R-pods bought from other dealers. I'm sure kymooses and furpod are not alone and there are other dealers elsewhere playing this same silly game. Yes, our campers are not like cars and if a dealer refuses to honor Forest River warranty then I say don't play their game contact Forest River and use the power of the internet to spread the word far and wide. The last thing any dealer or manufacture want is a bad name, remember that fact. Be polite, be persistent, contact FR and tell them your problem and ask them if you can use an independent RV shop since their own dealer refuses to honor their warranty. It will get you results I am sure as I and others have found out. 
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:21am
It's not just one dealer in Central, Kentucky.  Owners face this problem all over the US and Canada each and every year, we see hundreds of Owners who travel someplace cheaper to buy their RV and then find that their local dealer will not warranty it at all. 

This is not a Forest River issue, you will find a similar disclaimer on just about ever RV manufacturer's website about "buying local" and why you should do that.

The only dealer that is ever "required" to do warranty work is the one who sold it to you, beyond that each and every service center has their own rules for how they handle things.  If you were to try and spread the word about dealers who won't warranty and RV not purchase from them you'd have a list that encompasses a great many RV dealerships of all brands of RVs.

One of the most popular and highest sellers of R-Pods in the US tells Owners that any certified Forest River service center "can" do warranty work for them.  They key word being "can" those Owners travel across country and then once home find they can't get a repair.  This dealer is still the number one seller of R-Pods because of their prices, too may Owners find out too late what a hassle it is to get assistance after the fact.

I will say that that particular dealer tries to help find someone locally who will then accept the work, but is not always successful, and as far as contacting Forest River they will give you a list of what's in your area and advise that the dealer you purchase from is there to do  your warranty work.  Being polite and asking for help can help in a pinch if you're traveling on trips, and I've seen FR agree to do reimbursements in cases like those.  So yes, there is help to be had, but check your major RV manufacturers and find that label on their website that tells you why you're supposed to buy local.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 2:38pm

As I have said in another post, I quit calling sellers of RVs "dealers". I think the word "retailer" is a better fit. The word "dealer" hints/implies something similar to an automobile dealer. Automobile dealers and RV retailers "behave" differently. Their respective relationships with manufacturers are different. I've never been privy to a contract/agreement between any RV retailer and any RV manufacturer, nor am I an attorney. The same with any automobile dealer and manufacturer. However, I suspect the two contracts/agreements would read differently. IMHO, in both instances, it is the manufacturer that warrants the product.

If a certain RV retailer is legally obligated to work on a particular camper will depend on the contract/agreement they have with that particular manufacturer. Given that it is a private agreement, we can't know the details. I suspect many or all stipulate that the retailer must provide warranty service for any unit they sell. If not sold by the retailer, it may be discretionary (I suspect it is).

Again, I am not an attorney but, IMHO if there is a warranty issue, it is between the purchaser and the manufacturer. WHO the manufacturer can force or entice to perform the corrective work is something that is between them and their individual retailers.

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:53pm
Agree with David.  I spoke with FR and they cannot force a "dealer" to perform warranty work on a unit they did not sell.  And lemon laws apply to the manufacturer and the dealer you bought it from.  After buying my new Keystone the dealer gave me a credit card like plastic that had a number on it.  He said it is when I call to get warrranty work I get priority treatment.  When I pushed him on it he said business has doubled the past two years and they have a several week wait for service and cannot accept service on units they did not sell so the card identifies me as a purchaser.  No card, no service. period.  This is more the rule then the exception at least in NY, NJ, CT and PA.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:09pm
We just got our pod back from our selling dealer. I called in for a service visit and was asked if we purchased the pod from them. When we answered yes, she was able to schedule me within a week at my convenience. I asked about service on units they did not sell and she said they would do it, but their priority was their sales customers. They had a backlog of about 3 weeks if you did not buy from them. They were busy enough to keep all of their people occupied year round and did not want to be overextended on mechanics just in the spring or summer.

I did not ask about warranty work on other units, but part of my labor was covered under their sales department agreement without question. Our unit was used and the sales deal included a certain warranty on some items that we negotiated.

I was happy with their overall service, but still had some minor discussions that were amicable and happily resolved to my satisfaction.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
alisonalowe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:55am
Dave, in what way was your shower stall leaking?  I have a 2018-RP179 with the Duo-Form shower surround.  There are gaps between the surround and the wall/panel, and I believe water is entering into those gap areas.  I am out of warranty, and will have to plead my situation to Forest River.  How were you able to get FR to cover the repair?
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by alisonalowe

Dave, in what way was your shower stall leaking?  I have a 2018-RP179 with the Duo-Form shower surround.  There are gaps between the surround and the wall/panel, and I believe water is entering into those gap areas.  I am out of warranty, and will have to plead my situation to Forest River.  How were you able to get FR to cover the repair?

I hope I can help you but I'm not very familiar with the 179 shower stall. First I was able to get my repair covered at an independent shop because it was still within the warranty period and my dealer I bought the camper from failed to repair it when I took it to them. The shower leaked because the drain flange was loose, the large nut, ect, that tightens the drain to the floor of the stall. Try as I may I could not tighten it so I ended up taking it to a pro. I did though add a couple wooden blocks under the floor of the shower pan to stiffen up the much to flexible floor. Unfortunately FR should use thicker plywood under the floor to stiffen it up so the floor doesn't flex so much which causes the drain to loosen. My RV repairman also turned me on to this tool which I believe now all RV owners should have in their tool box because with it your able to get enough grip to tighten the drain flange nut up or loosen it if needed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oil-filter-pliers-61477.html

Hope this helps?
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>