R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBed Shelf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bed Shelf
    Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:05pm
Folks I've been looking for an wooden shelf that I can install in my 180 over the bed and haven't had much luck on finding a reasonable price source for one. Last summer we met a nice couple in a Pod up in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Edinburg, who had this mod and told me they bought theirs at a Lowe's Home Center which sadly for me they seem don't carry any longer. Also I'd like to hear suggestions on how you attached the shelf on the window valances and secured boxes and such if you have made this mod?  
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:19pm
DavMar,

I was in Lowes the other day and they had a small selection of wood shelves. 6' lengths. I used the wire shelf, attached with 3 inch L brackets above valances. I have decorative baskets also from Lowes that I carry on the shelf. Works fine.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:26pm
Neglected to mention I used a wood closet rod to support wire shelf, very stable.
Mike Carter
2015 178
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by mcarter

DavMar,

I was in Lowes the other day and they had a small selection of wood shelves. 6' lengths. I used the wire shelf, attached with 3 inch L brackets above valances. I have decorative baskets also from Lowes that I carry on the shelf. Works fine.

Mike can you go into a little more detail on how you attached this shelf and used a wooden closet rod? I'm having a hard time picturing it all in my mind. Fell free to send me a PM if you want about how you did this.

Dave
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:51pm
Sent you PM with my email address, will send you pics ASAP of my install, once I hear from you.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:39pm
Dave, If you can find the shelf, you can see how I attached it in my mods. It is the very first one I posted (see link in signature).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Dave, If you can find the shelf, you can see how I attached it in my mods. It is the very first one I posted (see link in signature).

Stephen,

That's exactly what I want to do and I'd like to find it the same shelf if I can. Did you use the Command Velcro strips on the bottom of the shelf and at the top of the valance or did you attach the Velcro to the side on the wall above the valance? What is the width of the shelf you bought and if I can ask why didn't you flip it so you had a lip to help keep things from sliding out? Did you do anything additional to keep cargo in place on the shelf?

If anyone knows where to buy this shelf please let me know? I wanted to make this mod when we first bought our Pod but the "Boss" was all against it at that time but now she has changed her mind and you know she must be obeyed! LOL
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 4:35pm
Command strips on the back of my brackets and on the wall. I will likely replace those with short expansion anchors (making sure they are under 1" in length).
The shelf does have a bit of a lip. I was thinking of strength though and it looked to be stronger the way I placed it as there was more wood underneath supporting the slats. I use wire baskets on top (purchased when they were on sale at Aldi) and hold them in place with bungee cords going from the handhold opening, under the center brace (another reason for not turning it over) and back up to the handhold opening. I also use a couple of bungee cords to hold my CPAP machine in place so I don't have to keep moving it every time we want to pack and go.
Unfortunately, Lowe's seems to have stopped selling the shelf by itself, instead having it bundled with shelf brackets and hardware. It is the Allen + Roth 72-in W x 16-in D Java Wood Closet Shelf. Unfortunately, the price is quite high when all you need is the shelf and not the hardware.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:20pm
Both of you are using the Valance as support, successfully I see. This I was curious about as the wife now wants a shelf up front in our 182g.

How much weight do you 'think' you have up there?
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:48pm
I am in the process of building and installing a shelf over the bed in my 179. In the process of doing so, I removed both valances. They are held in by 2 very short  (maybe 3/4") screws and secured to the wall with metal l brackets (similar to what they use as drawer travel limiters. I would be reluctant to use the valance as support for a shelf - seems to me that it'd be susceptible to bending the valance brackets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>