R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpare Tire Mount on Front [Critique]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare Tire Mount on Front [Critique]
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by HikerSteve

Yeah, looking at the pictures it might not be too bad. Right now I can scrape a rear jack if I don't hit the driveway right. Being centered like that might not be bad.

What do you want for yours? I might give it a try.
Private message sent.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
HikerSteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I do have a BAL carrier that I am no longer using since I made a ladder carrier and sewer hose carrier that take up that space. I would prefer to find a new home for it rather than let it sit and rust or throw it in the trash.

Since the BAL sits closer to the axle than the rear jacks, it is less likely to scrape. It sits as high as the steps since the tire sits recessed between the frame rails and not below them. I don't think you would have any problems with one.

Yeah, looking at the pictures it might not be too bad. Right now I can scrape a rear jack if I don't hit the driveway right. Being centered like that might not be bad.

What do you want for yours? I might give it a try.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:17pm
Anyone have one of these? I might just get it and put the tire on the back again.

https://goo.gl/UzokqN
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:23am
   When we had our r-pod 171, I bought from Northern Tool a spare tire carrier bracket that I bolted to the front frame and I don't remember it ever being a problem with sharp turns. I did it to move more weight forward for better towing with less sway.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:01am
HikerSteve,
Here's my take on a front tire mount (the bike thing) before I got the BAL undermount unit, Which took some pounds off the front and put it down low just in front of the axle, (on a 180), And allowed for other tongue mods. 
I think you will find the undermount does not really impact ground clearance so much as you don't put it all the way out back, should sit forward a few feet from the rear on a 179. This is really the best way to go to keep tongue weight down. IMHO. Taking the tire off the back and moving it up front means less weight in back and more on the tongue, Think teeter totter. 
I played with the same mount you have and it messed with the ability to back up tight into my awkward driveway, so I did this.
I used the tire carrier, notched the front angle iron that holds the batteries and welded it all together. Had to move the propane tank a few inches forward , and the tire sat nice and tight on the frame.
I even added a second tank and it worked well. I just noticed your battery's sit higher and further forward than mine  and would require a bit more work to put fit it all in.

Here's the undermount  unit, 14" in front of the axle on the 180. 

And now the front looks like this.

I am thinking of re-doing the whole thing now to reduce weight up front, with all my mods inside and out, I'm now pushing 600 lbs up front on the ball, with the empty front fresh tank. (2 propane tanks, elec jack, battery box & 2 GC-6volts, Plus the inside twin bed stuff and drawers.
Or maybe just a custom lift and move the axle forward til it gets under 500 lbs with the fresh tank full.  
cheers, John 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by HikerSteve

Originally posted by CharlieM

My tongue mount worked well until I moved the bikes to a Swagman basket carrier between the TT and TV. That worked the best because it got the bikes off the rear of the camper. That's a very inhospitable environment for bikes.  That change sent the spare back to the rear bumper where it started life. good luck on your project.

Do you have pictures or a write up of your current set up? Essentially that is what prompted the move is for me to haul bikes off the back.

My original write up and pictures got lost with the new forum. @fwunder copied my original mod and posted new pictures http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9619&KW=swagman&PID=90640&title=mount-bike-rack-in-place-of-spare#90640.
Scroll to the top to see his installation. I still have pictures but posting them to this forum is a PITA. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
I do have a BAL carrier that I am no longer using since I made a ladder carrier and sewer hose carrier that take up that space. I would prefer to find a new home for it rather than let it sit and rust or throw it in the trash.

Since the BAL sits closer to the axle than the rear jacks, it is less likely to scrape. It sits as high as the steps since the tire sits recessed between the frame rails and not below them. I don't think you would have any problems with one.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by texman

did you consider the BAL tire carrier that mounts underneath the trailer in the rear?

I did and I really like it. Currently I scrape getting the camper in the driveway if I don't hit the angle just right so my fear with the BAL is clearance getting in and out of my driveway.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

My tongue mount worked well until I moved the bikes to a Swagman basket carrier between the TT and TV. That worked the best because it got the bikes off the rear of the camper. That's a very inhospitable environment for bikes.  That change sent the spare back to the rear bumper where it started life. good luck on your project.

Do you have pictures or a write up of your current set up? Essentially that is what prompted the move is for me to haul bikes off the back.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 10:00am
did you consider the BAL tire carrier that mounts underneath the trailer in the rear?

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>