R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpare Tire Mount on Front [Critique]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare Tire Mount on Front [Critique]
    Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
I am looking for input on my front tire mount.

After much playing around with different ideas I ended up having the best luck with mounting a 2" Bumper Adaptor at an angle and using a reducer. I thought about using a standard mount but couldn't get it to fit between the jack and the weight distribution. 

I had to mount it on an angle so it will fit, with it straight on the tire hit the camper. I am using a pin to hold it because I may need to get at the weight distribution which I like using when on longer trips.

Anyway I bolted it up and jumped around on it, pushed it around, shook it, and it seems to be as solid as I need for hanging a spare tire.

I just wanted to get some opinions in case there is something I am missing.

Thanks!

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:29pm
I think you have reduced your ability to turn right. Have no idea how much, and only time will tell if you start making contact with tow vehicle. There is a significant reason the tow potion of the tongue is V shaped, good luck. I would try hard turns and see what the effect is. The bumper could push the tire back into the camper.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
HikerSteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I think you have reduced your ability to turn right. Have no idea how much, and only time will tell if you start making contact with tow vehicle. There is a significant reason the tow potion of the tongue is V shaped, good luck. I would try hard turns and see what the effect is. The bumper could push the tire back into the camper.

Hmmm... good call. Not sure if forward driving would be an issue but backing could be a potential issue. I will have to keep an eye on it for both. Unfortunately, I won't be hooking up till the 10th.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 7:00pm
As long as you were cutting and welding, you might have been able to put a 2" insert in place of the 1-1/4" insert on the original spare mount. That "could" have made the assembly shorter and snooked it up closer to the trailer frame. Would have been stronger too.

But I do like the general concept. Takes the spare weight off the trailer axle and adds it to the tow vehicle via higher tongue weight.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:50pm
I made a similar mod to my 172 in order to carry bikes on the back. Maybe this thread will give you some ideas. http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3132&KW=spare+tire&PID=29715&title=tongue-mounted-spare-tire-on-172#29715

It uses the OEM tire mount. I used the same Swagman adapter but used a sleeve insert to reduce from 2" to 1.25". This gets the tire closer to the frame, reducing the lever arm. It also allows use of the side bolt to eliminate the wobble/rattle of the tire. I was also able to mount the adapter and tire parallel to the frame and redrill the adapter to better fit the 2" frame width. I had a WDH but it was an E2 that mounts differently. You can see it in the pictures. The concern with your angle mounting is the uneven bending forces on the adapter. If you really torque down on the adapter bolts, as you should, you might induce a failure of the welds or bending of the plates.

All that said, you're well on your way. My tongue mount worked well until I moved the bikes to a Swagman basket carrier between the TT and TV. That worked the best because it got the bikes off the rear of the camper. That's a very inhospitable environment for bikes.  That change sent the spare back to the rear bumper where it started life. good luck on your project.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:52am
We moved our spare to the A frame.  first, we moved the propane tank as far forward as possible. This gave us more room for the spare.  We used the original spare mounting post and cut the bottom"L" part off, leaving just the vertical post.  we welded this post directly to the A frame.

this is very close to the hatch on our expedition-we have about 2" of clearance, but it does not affect turning
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:59am
Pod People - look at the picture of your spare mount and how close it is inboard to the frame. Then go back and look at how far outboard and close to trailer side Hiker Steve's mount is, that is the point running radius will be effected.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 10:00am
did you consider the BAL tire carrier that mounts underneath the trailer in the rear?

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

My tongue mount worked well until I moved the bikes to a Swagman basket carrier between the TT and TV. That worked the best because it got the bikes off the rear of the camper. That's a very inhospitable environment for bikes.  That change sent the spare back to the rear bumper where it started life. good luck on your project.

Do you have pictures or a write up of your current set up? Essentially that is what prompted the move is for me to haul bikes off the back.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by texman

did you consider the BAL tire carrier that mounts underneath the trailer in the rear?

I did and I really like it. Currently I scrape getting the camper in the driveway if I don't hit the angle just right so my fear with the BAL is clearance getting in and out of my driveway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>