R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInsurance on R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance on R-Pod
    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 1:36am
Just got my renewal in the mail for another year of Insurance.  Was wondering what or who others were using to insure your camper.  I'm presently with State Farm Insurance and have them for most everything.  Last year I did pull my Motorcycle insurance from them and went to another company.  Should I be looking around or keeping my insurance all with one company?  One of my worries is if my tow vehicle and r-pod are with 2 companies I will have 2 deductibles.    
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 12:39pm
Here in Ontario, I bought my insurance through Aviva (their Elite RV product).  The r-pod is the first trailer that I've ever owned where I've carried extra insurance, and while calling around, I learned that not only did I know very little about trailer insurance, but many brokers also know next to nothing.  I didn't even know what questions to ask.  Fortunately, I have a CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) membership, and they did know the questions to ask and were happy to educate me.

In addition to what I would consider essential coverage while towing (e.g. damage to other's property if the trailer comes loose while I'm towing, repair of trailer if its rear-ended, etc), or while stored (vandalism, tree limb falling on it, fire, theft), there were three coverages which were important to me:
  • waver of depreciation - I get back what I paid for the trailer for five years with no depreciation
  • content insurance - I have $3000 of content insurance, just in case someone steals an ipod, camera, notebook computer, jewelery, appliances, etc out of my r-pod
  • personal liability - if someone slips and falls in my r-pod and even on my campsite (or is hurt by an axe, broken lawn chair, falls out of a tree, or... whatever), I'm covered by $1,000,000 of liability insurance
Our own insurance company (where our truck, car and home are insured) didn't even have these coverages available.  One insurance company wanted to insure the r-pod as a house (at a premium cost) to be able to include the content insurance and personal liability.

Buying RV insurance was a bit of an eye-opening experience.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 1:18pm
Wow, good info.  I need to double-check if mine covers all of that.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:37pm
To be honest,
  • I could limit my risk by putting the electronic gadgets in my vehicle while I'm away from the campsite as my home insurance will cover stolen items temporarily stored in the vehicle.
  • The personal liability is likely a bit of a far-fetched scenario as very few others carry it, so its unlikely that I'd be 'casually' sued for small accidents (like at home if someone slips on an icy front step); I suspect that only cases of gross negligence would result in a lawsuit.
  • As far as the waiver of depreciation, I think that the r-pod has retained much of its value.  There isn't anything to speak of thats comparable in the used market, so I'm pretty sure that I could get closed to what I paid for it.
But, the insurance coverage was only $60 more than the cheapest, basic coverage that I found (which was from my own insurance company) - and I think that its well worth it.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 8:36pm
While calling around for insurance costs I found out Agents have no clue what a camper is.  I'm doing a bunch of reading tonight to see what I should be asking.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 2:17pm
It is worth your time to use on-line insurance quotes!
I have both Progressive and State Farm insurance...My RV is insured with Progressive (State Farm was 40% more expensive), yet my R-Pod is insured with State Farm (Progressive was more than
50% higher than State Farm).  Quotes from several other companies had quotes noticeably
higher than either Progressive and State Farm)
I have no idea why one insurance company can have rates much lower than others for a TT and
then be much higher than others for an RV!

TIDALWAVE
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 2:26pm
Sometimes it depends on what that particular company's portfolio of insured vehicles, boats, or trailers consist of at the time you ask for a quote. They have armies of actuaries that figure all this stuff out, and they'll sometimes raise rates on certain things to mitigate the risk. So either they'll take in more in premiums to soften the potential payout, or by raising rates they discourage people with those types of vehicles they think they're "overexposed" in from taking insurance out in the first place.

Man, you could just about picture me with my index finger upraised while lecturing you there. Sorry about that.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 10:38pm
OK i pulled a few quotes and it looks like for me it will be best to stay with State Farm.  
 Post Reply Post Reply