R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Controller Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Controller Issue
    Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:43am
We had the same results they checked the computer to make sure it was programed right, check all the lights, checked all the wiring replaced the factory in dash brake controller twice with brand new ones, replaced the pigtails under the truck twice, we replaced the 7 pin connector, checked everything 4 different mechanic could think of, brought the pod into the ford dealership twice on the second time, they found crack/break in one of the trailer brake wires. said something about may a rock or something hit it and didn't break it all the way then with hitting a pothole or something along the interstate it finally went. it would do an alert saying trailer disconnected, would stop and check and the 7 pin connector was connected, the lights worked the directionals worked but the trailer brake would not work.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:47am
We'll see when he finishes with trailer check. I can't imagine what a brake controller circuit would use if it didn't monitor brakes.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by mcarter

GlueGuy,

That concept may work fine for a Ford system that senses a light connection, for those of us without that, the blue wire the brake controller tells you when a trailer is connected and monitors power draw of the brake. Granted not familiar with Dodge, but my Chevy could care less about a flat 4 with no brake controller input.
He's talking about 2017 Dodge. That's not exactly an "antique". Our truck is 3 years old. Certainly not an antique, but older technology (or at least I would think so). I just think a year old truck would sense a trailer by something other than the brakes. Not all trailers have brakes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Not sure about that stuff but we had the same problem and went through 6 visits, etc and that was what finally fixed it, and it has worked ever since.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:24pm
GlueGuy,

That concept may work fine for a Ford system that senses a light connection, for those of us without that, the blue wire the brake controller tells you when a trailer is connected and monitors power draw of the brake. Granted not familiar with Dodge, but my Chevy could care less about a flat 4 with no brake controller input.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:12pm
We had this happen with our new F-150. It ended up not being the break controller or any of the TV part.
It ended up being a partially broke brake wire on the pod. It either caught a rock or something and didn't totally break but at different times it would cut out and show that the brake controller would not recognize the camper breaks.
After several visits, two new break controllers and a couple other parts one of the mechanics had me bring the trailer in, he checked the wire by the pods rear tires and found one was cracked/partially broken, fixed that and voila, worked perfect.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:11pm
Here's a concept. Put an adapter on the trailer and plug it into the 4-pin on your truck. If I did that, the truck would announce "Trailer Connected". Nothing to do with the brakes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I think the issue is in the trailer. Especially in light of work done to hubs. Brake controllers send a small amount of voltage along the brake output wire (blue wire), if a trailer is connected, the magnets in the brake assemblies will create a power draw. This power draw tells the controller that a trailer is connected. Aftermarket and OEM are the same in function. I think you are right to take to RV dealer. Let us know, PLZ.

+1 I agree with Mike. Think, what was the last thing done to the trailer before this problem developed. Don't reinvent the wheel but take the camper to where you had the hub seals replaced and re-greased and check them out because something is not right in the brake assembly as Mike suggested. If you want to double up, then go ahead and see if you can get your truck dealer service department to order you a new control board to replace your present one under warranty but I have my doubts on that causing your problem. Let us know how it goes?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:22pm
A likely cause is corrosion.  Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of green patina on the contacts in the Bargman and/or the trailer connector.  Scraping with a thin knife blade or maybe just a squirt or two of dielectric grease or WD-40 and working the plug int and out of the socket a few times.

It good be any of the things others have mentioned, but I'd sure start with the simple stuff first.

If it's working now I think you should check/clean/grease the contacts and wait to see if this happens again before doing anything else.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:49pm
I think the issue is in the trailer. Especially in light of work done to hubs. Brake controllers send a small amount of voltage along the brake output wire (blue wire), if a trailer is connected, the magnets in the brake assemblies will create a power draw. This power draw tells the controller that a trailer is connected. Aftermarket and OEM are the same in function. I think you are right to take to RV dealer. Let us know, PLZ.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>