R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Controller Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Controller Issue
    Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:56am
Glueguy - I appreciate this discussion and apologize for being over zealous. It won't happen again. I was wondering if we can do a little test with your F150? If your trailer is not connected and you go into your "Towing Status" and get the screen where the gain readout is on the left hand side - Do you get a display that says "No Trailer Detected"? I realize this is completely different than the Trailer Disconnected in other displays. If you were to connect a trailer I think the display will change and you will get the gain readouts as set. The "No Trailer Detected" is a standard, especially for Tekonsha designed TBCs, which I believe Ford is. Thanks.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:46pm
I did these tests.

1. If there is no trailer connected at all and I check trailer status, I get "Trailer disconnected"
  2. If there is no trailer connected at all and I squeeze the trailer brake, I get "Trailer disconnected"
  3. If there is a 4-pin trailer connected and check trailer status, I get default trailer indicators (bunch o' stuff)
  4. If there is a 4-pin trailer connected and I squeeze the trailer brake, I get "Trailer disconnected"
  5. If I have the Rpod connected (7-pin) and I check trailer status I get "Rpod" plus a bunch o' stuff
  6. If I have the Rpod connected (7-pin) and I squeeze the trailer brake I get the gain indicator

So the "Trailer disconnected" message comes in 3 different cases, 2 of which are when I am manually squeezing the trailer brake. The other "Trailer disconnected" message when there is no trailer actually connected.

I could not simulate the broken tail light situation, but when we pulled the 4-pin from the connector and stepped on the brake I got a message about a malfunctioning tail light.

Just a side note. Some of the above required me to cycle the ignition. The truck appears to re-assess the trailer status after the ignition has been turned off/on.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:51pm
Thanks Glueguy, appreciate the info. That system for a Ford I think is very informative. Not only tells you when there is a electrical connect or light issue, but also when the trailer brake circuit is working. Learned something from this.
Mike Carter
2015 178
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 2:02pm
TRAILER BRAKE PROBLEM RESOLVED!  There was a bad electrical connection at the driver's side backing plate.  The technician replaced the crimp-on connectors at that location and now everything works perfectly.  As I suspected, this problem was related to the backing plate replacement done a few weeks before our last trip, and the repair was at no cost to me.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:36pm
Wow! That was not something easy to find as it would have looked just fine visibly. You got a good technician to figure that one out. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:30pm
I'll be darn PodWa. Appreciate the response.
Mike Carter
2015 178
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:22pm
When the problem started I visually checked the connectors that the technician replaced and they looked good and seemed to be firmly crimped.  There must have been some internal fault that i could not see.  I am fairly proficient in electronics, but I don't know much about trailer brake systems and don't have a wiring diagram of the R-Pod 179, so my ability to troubleshoot the system was limited.  It only took the technician about 20 minutes to find and correct the problem, and he traced everything front to back.  I am extremely grateful that the fix was so easy.  We were in and out of the shop in about 45 minutes.  

I have to give kudos to Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, Idaho, and their facility in Fife, WA.  Both were very polite, helpful, and actually listened to my description of the problem before jumping to expensive conclusions.  There are lots of complaints on this forum about bad service at selling R-Pod dealers, but this is certainly not one of them.  Happy camper here! Big smile
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:31pm
Good to hear the problem has been fixed!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:21am
Me too, Leo!  It seems my problem was similar to yours, but mine was created during the backing plate replacement.  You got it right, and now I know where to look if this happens again.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:42am
One thing I found helpful is making a 1/4" spade jumper wire. If your TT battery is connected you can take your 7 pin plug (trailer side), looking directly at it, with the alignment lug in 12 o'clock position. At 11 there is 12 Volts. Using your jumper you can jumper that 12 volts around the plug to test 12 volt circuits. At the 5 position is ground, don't jumper to there. So the brake issue for example: You can jumper 12v at 11 to the blue brake control at 7. You could then go back to axle and test blue wire that controls brakes. Or even check the 12V is getting to that brake. I carry that pin diagram with me and the jumper, without a TV I can check the running and tail lights, the brake lights and turn signals my add on reverse lights etc. Just with one jumper.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>