R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Toilet and Black Tank Care

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toilet and Black Tank Care
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:00pm
A friend who is new to trailer life asked how to take care of his "new" toilet.  We put this together for him in the hope it would be helpful.

We hope it will help someone on the forum, as well.

Happy Podding!
Vann (& Laura)

RPOD TOILET AND BLACK TANK CARE

BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME TO TAKE THE RPOD SOMEWHERE:

1. Pour a couple of ounces of Calgon (a water softener sold in the grocery store with washing machine fabric softeners) into the toilet drain.  This will coat the walls of the blackwater tank to make them slicker so solid waste won’t stick to them.

1. Place a toilet chemical pouch (Organic Orange) in the toilet drain.  This is for odor control and to help solids break down.

1. Add 2-5 gallons of water to the toilet.  (You can pour it from a sheetrock bucket or flush the toilet if you have water in your holding tank or from city water connection.)

1. This prep allows the chemicals to dissolve and slosh around in the blackwater tank while you are on the road so it coats the tank to the max.

USING THE TOILET

1. We don’t throw toilet paper into the toilet any more.  Instead, we deposit it into a disposable plastic shopping bag that I hang on the door handle.  I throw the bag away each day.  This keeps paper waste, which is difficult to remove, out of the blackwater tank.

1. Before making a solid deposit into the toilet, pump a little water into the bowl.  (Hold the flush valve open but don’t let the drain open.)  That way, solids can begin mixing with water and flow down into the drain with the final flush.

1. Don’t empty the black water tank until it is at least 2/3 full.  If you want to empty it before this, pour water (gray water or fresh water) down the toilet to increase the fluid level.  This will help flush the tank when you are ready to empty it.

1. Don’t rely on the idiot indicator lights on the tank levels gauge.  (They are notoriously wrong.)  Look into the toilet to see how full it is.  It holds 30 gallons so it will take a while to fill the black water tank.

BLACK WATER TANK CLEANING (AFTER YOU HAVE DUMPED IT)

1. Add water (gray or clean or from toilet flush) to the black water tank via the toilet.

1. Put on Nitrile gloves and, if desired, disposable shoe covers.

1. Connect sewer clean-out hose (located in the black round tube under the A Frame) to Black Water clean-out and place open end in dump station drain.

1. Open the black water tank valve and let the black water tank contents flow out.  Make sure there is positive drainage flow in the sewer clean-out hose.

1. You can add clean or gray water to the toilet if you want a “clean flush” after the initial flush.

1. Once the flow has ended, close the black tank valve and move the sewer clean-out hose to the gray water flush valve.

1. Open the gray water flush valve so the tank can drain into the dump station drain.  Emptying the black water drain first means the gray water draining will help clean out the sewer clean-out hose!

1. Close the gray water flush valve.  Keep both ends of the sewer clean-out hose in the air while carrying it to a hose bib at the dump station.  Fill the hose with dump station water until the entire hose is full.  Then, drain the hose into the sewer drain.

1. Cap the sewer line and stow it away.

1. Hose down the black and gray water drains, the sewer drain and the area around the sewer drain.

1. Go in to the bathroom and pour 2 ounces of Calgon into the toilet drain.

1. Add a chemical packet to the toilet drain.

1. Flush the toilet, adding a gallon or two of water to the black water tank. 

1. Remove your gloves and any shoe covers sanitarily and dispose of them properly.

1. Wash (soapy water) or cleanse (hand sanitizer) your hands thoroughly. 

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:26pm
This is generally good advice.  At least to some extent some of it is a matter of opinion and, not meaning to argue, but arguably maybe a bit over the top.

There's not that much mystical about the black tank.  Plenty of liquid is probably the most significant factor.  Chemicals help, in my opinion.  Rinsing is important especially to help prevent stuff crusting up in the tank.

This is my opinion too, and if anyone disagrees, I'm totally fine with that, but I don't want to use your bathroom.  I think it's ridiculous not to flush toilet paper.  By all means, use an RV toilet paper if you want, but flush it!  The next step just millimeters beyond collecting your toilet paper is collecting your poop and disposing of it separately.  Slippery slope, and stinky!

When I can I fill the black tank with water and let it sit for a few days or fill it at least half way and drive around for a while. 

To each his own!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:13am
I'm not familiar with the "Organic Orange" treatment. I have been using TankTech's Rx or Unique Products RV Digest-It as treatments. These are biological treatments that help break down solids. They don't mask odor, but break down the causes.

You may want to suggest that when flushing, don't have the vent fan on. It will pull odors from the tank through the flush valve as the fan creates a lower air pressure and if there is inadequate air coming in through the door openings, then the air (with odors) will be pulled in from the tank.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:35pm
For some reason, I always found it interesting that toilet paper is among the very few consumer products sold without instructions.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:45pm
This is as complex or simple as you make it.  Use the correct toilet paper, if possible fill the black tank before dumping.  If you have the flush available and are not being pushed use it when dumping.  Wash your hands after dumping.  If you have to many rules it takes the fun out of camping, and all those rules don't make the toilet work any better.  A former co-worker had the rule that noone could talk when camping.  That was fun.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

A former co-worker had the rule that noone could talk when camping.  That was fun.

Was grunting allowed? :)

With only two of us in the camper (not including the cats), we typically only dump the black tank every 3 or 4 trips if only going for a weekend at a time. If we're at a camping spot with full hookups, we connect the gray water hose and leave it connected for the whole time.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:49pm
Some good suggestion Pod People, never thought about using Calgon but it can't hurt and makes me go hmmmm. As far as tossing used TP into a plastic bag, well to each their own but I'm not going to do it and I know beyond a doubt my wife would veto that idea. My suggestion is use a good quality "striker paper" and fill your black tank with water if need be before you dump. Of course keep an eye on it as you do fill the tank but I would think that is needless to say for obvious reasons? I've always found one or two flushes of the black water tank gets the sensors cleared. I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned the ice trick to clean off the tank sensors. I've never tried it but it does kind of make sense.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:28pm
No ice, hard - bangs around, can do more damage to a sensor as bad as they are than what they will do to loosen up stuff.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:38pm
Beside that, one guy built a transparent tank in the back of his pickup and added some simulated contents. Then he put in a bunch of ice and drove around. The results: The ice was useless for cleaning the tank.
Watch this video and you will see for yourself.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:08pm
+1, I remember watching that video way back.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>