R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Toilet and Black Tank Care

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Richand Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toilet and Black Tank Care
    Posted: 04 May 2018 at 11:29am
We found out switching toilet paper can make a big difference.  We started out using Camco RV and Marine toilet tissue and had problems with it not dissolving.  It is 2 ply tissue.  Then after seeing videos on testing papers we switched to Scott Rapid dissolving tissue for RVs and Boats.  It is one ply.  But that did the trick.  It is not as soft and comfortable but I will trade comfort for not having to spend hours cleaning out the black tank anyday.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Christavski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Christavski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 11:43am
Waste Wont Flush,
Hi folks, new R-Pod owner here (176).
I am truly hoping for any suggestions for how to handle my flush problem.
When we flush it appears as though only half of everything flushes. The rest gets stuck just below the flushing valve flap.
We start our trips with some water in black tank, we use the pods, eco-friendly TP, and for tho most part always allow some water in before flushing down.
At this point the waste is stuck, I cant avoid that. What I'm wanting to know is how best to remove it. Should I try to push it down with something? Try pulling it out?
Does anyone happen to know the anatomy of or have a diagram of the anatomy of the flush system? I cant seem to find one so that I may understand what's happening in there...

Grateful for your help...
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 12:09pm
Down is way better than up Star . Try filling the bowl with water from a bucket and then opening the flap, see if that gets "things" to flush down.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 12:27pm
How much water do you let in?  I just realized on our last trip that you can push the flush lever down partially and add a lot of water to the bowl then flush.  The extra water makes it work more like a regular toilet.  That may help.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by pedwards2932

How much water do you let in?  I just realized on our last trip that you can push the flush lever down partially and add a lot of water to the bowl then flush.  The extra water makes it work more like a regular toilet.  That may help.

I don't know what I don't know, but I did know that, and you are right.  One big whoosh is probably better than an attempted plop with a followup rinse.  In other words, put a lot of water in the bowl before you flush. 

Plenty of water in the black tank is probably the single best thing you can do to make it work like it should.  I also use RV friendly TP and chemicals to help break things down and maybe help with any odor, but water is the universal solvent.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
Also, criss-cross the bowl after adding water with a layer of TP. That also helps things to slide down.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:46am
I generally follow this guy.
https://www.trbowlin.com/bio-geo-method/
The borax reduces odors, the detergent is a surfactant the makes the water wet better, but the real trick is not to flush too early and use the black tank flush extensively (fill partially, open drain for a huge, high velocity gush).
John
'16 R-Pod 180
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:07pm
Borax works well for us mixed with some soap and also Happy Camper (purchased as Walmart) works well on breaking down solids as well as helping neutralize the odor.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I don't know what I don't know, but I did know that, and you are right.  One big whoosh is probably better than an attempted plop with a followup rinse.  In other words, put a lot of water in the bowl before you flush. 
Plenty of water in the black tank is probably the single best thing you can do to make it work like it should.  I also use RV friendly TP and chemicals to help break things down and maybe help with any odor, but water is the universal solvent.
TT

LOL! That's one of the first things my dealer told me. "Run water into the bowl before a deposit so you don't get sparklies!"   
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12