R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Redneck" Yeti Cooler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Redneck" Yeti Cooler
    Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:35pm
Hi Melissa, I haven't used it yet but echoed the post Pete Brayton made just above. It is a very good question...so how about it Pete...have you experienced moisture buildup with the reflectix in place in cooler weather? Thanks in advance for your time in answering this!
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 1:52pm
I haven't noticed it but I usually don't leave it up when camping, just when in storage. I think as long as you leave a window or vent open a bit that helps with condensation when camping..
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by MelissaJoy

When you put this on your windows, did you get a lot of condensation between the window and the Reflectix overnight when it was cooler outside? @campman

I would think you would have some.  Several years ago we took out the curtains that covered the rear window in our 177.  It was replaced with a 2x cellular shade.  Two tests were taken when temps were in the mid 40's with the heater running. Furnace was set for 60 degrees at 7 pm with two people inside for the most part until 7 am the next day - so a 12 hour test.   With all windows shut and the cellular shade down there was still a fair amount of moisture build up between the shade and window, in fact we probably were able to decant nearly 2 oz. of water that sat in the two window channels.  Next night we opened two windows about 1/2" each on opposite sides of the bed that flanked the cellular shade.  Next morning there was still some moisture but not very much and the good news was there was no water in the two window channels at the bottom of the rear window.  So keeping some ventilation is critically important to keep things dry.  With two people breathing all night long, a fair amount of moisture is released.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:10pm
We have Reflectix in the windows of our 179 except the kitchen and door windows. I have not noticed moisture build-up, but then again, I usually have the vent open a little and the door window open a little Since I put in the window that can open, I can do that. The non-opening windows that come with the newer RPods can't.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:24am
If you can get the reflectix tightly up against the glass then you shouldn't get condensation behind it because there won't be humid air from inside the trailer getting in there. The inside surface of the insulation will be much warmer than the windows were so you shouldnt get much there either. That water is going to want to condense somewhere though so it might be the walls or ceiling instead.

As Jato says,ventilation is important as is not leaving damp stuff out or water in pans, sinks, or showers.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MelissaJoy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:25am
Thanks for all of the info! 
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:54am
Good things to keep in mind indeed. Now I just have to wait till I can get to our camp to bring home some leftover Reflectix and at least one old cooler modded up for this summer!
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12