R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWDH on 2015 Silverado - Event Date: 09 May 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: WDH on 2015 Silverado
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:38pm
Hi everyone,
 I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado and I am trying to setup my Fastway E2 WDH.  I pull a 2011 178 rpod with the 4 inch riser kit installed on the camper. 
 To start I  leveled the camper, measured the height of the tounge coupler on the camper. With the WDH installed on the truck I have the Hitch head located in the lowest set of holes on the rise shank. I measure a three inch difference from the ball height to the camper toungue coupler height. Apparently i need 10 inch rise shank to accomodate the height difference. That seems like a big difference.  Is there anyone else using the same truck pulling an RPOD with WDH? I'm looking for someone with the same camper and TV for help on how to go about setting it up. Any help would be appreciated.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:27pm
Markie,
Like allot of us here I too have a Fastway E2 WDH but sorry I have no answer to your question but hopefully someone here will. Though I will say that you give Fastway tech support a call and they should be able to answer your questions.

877-523-9103

Hope this helps.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:39am
I tow with almost exact package minus WDH. You can try etrailer.com, enter vehicle type, pick a WDH and go to videos, numerous videos on install and operation, wealth of info. Might assist.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:43am
i have a sequoia and a 182g with the lift kit.  i have my fastway on the lowest holes as you say. the ball could be lowered some, but once it is all hooked up and WDH in place it is very close and not in need of the lower ball mount.  i would estimate the pod is 1-2" lower at the rear than the front and i deem that close enough.  i would suggest setting up and getting the wdh in place and see where you are and then decide if you need a new drop and how much.  10" seems extreme. remember the rear of your tow vehicle will drop from the weight of the pod.  the wdh will transfer that to the front thereby lowering the front but not really raising the back.  Pickups tend to be high in the rear unattached and unloaded and thus very light in the rear.  your goal with wdh is a level tow vehicle and trailer.  Do the setup and bet you are very close. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the responses guys. I know I'm a little premature on the settings. I never loaded the truck as it would be in a vacation mode with coolers, water, firewood etc. I'm sure that makes a difference for the height of the ball.  I'm also aware the tongue weight will help to lower it.  I'm sure I'm going to have to order a longer rise shank but the question is how much longer? I wanted to have the correct one on hand as i set things up to avoid doing it several times. I would still like to hear from a silverado owner that has gone through the setup. Again thanks to all for your input, its always nice to have a sympathetic ear.
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Markie, I have a '17 179 and pull it with a 1500 Dodge Ram. It doesn't even remotely need a WDH or suffer from any sway issues. I load about 300lbs of gear in the back. :)  
2017 179 1/2
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 5:39pm
SteveA, I agree I probably don't need WD with this truck but I do like having the sway control of the E2. I happened to have the WDH from my last TV and liked how the rig handled so I thought I would use it. I then ran into height difference problem and here I am researching my options. Thanks for your reply.
BTW i have a call into etrailer as suggested by mcarter. Waiting the return call. 
Mark & Vicki
Weimeraner "Zeke"
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:09pm
That is what I figured, I have had good luck with their tech staff. Let us know.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:03pm
Hi SteveA....I have the same TT and TV as you. I do not understand the need for the WDH. I do have an anti sway bar. Do you feel light on the front end.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Markie

Hi everyone,
 I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado and I am trying to setup my Fastway E2 WDH.  I pull a 2011 178 rpod with the 4 inch riser kit installed on the camper. 
 To start I  leveled the camper, measured the height of the tounge coupler on the camper. With the WDH installed on the truck I have the Hitch head located in the lowest set of holes on the rise shank. I measure a three inch difference from the ball height to the camper toungue coupler height. Apparently i need 10 inch rise shank to accomodate the height difference. That seems like a big difference.  Is there anyone else using the same truck pulling an RPOD with WDH? I'm looking for someone with the same camper and TV for help on how to go about setting it up. Any help would be appreciated.
Your Silverado can't be that much different than our F-150. We find that a "standard drop" receiver hitch puts the top of the ball at roughly 20" AGL, which is almost identical to the hitch height on our RP-179 HRE. The E2 receiver assembly is mounted on the bottom-most holes. The trailer and the F-150 end up very close to level.

Perhaps you can measure the ball heights on the two vehicles to give us a clear idea of the discrepancy? Do you happen to have a lift kit on your Silverado?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>