R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:08pm
So we picked up our 2019 RP176 on Monday and brought it home. Kids wanted to sleep in it in the driveway they were so excited..

I setup the r-dome on Saturday as I wanted to figure it out before we go camping next weekend. The process isn’t very involved but having camped for 15years with decent camping tents (Flying Diamond, Marmot) I find the build quality of the Dometic rdome to be mediocre.

I noticed a tear in the rdome as I was putting install it. I will have to call the dealer tomorrow to discuss with them. It’s in a key area of the dome (top left) and will get worse as it’s a tear in the fabric (not seam).

What are your experiences with the r-dome? I sort of regret not getting the awning instead.

Fabric tear

Setup

2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:30am
The dome does everything the awning does, and a butt load more.. the awning.. well, it can be an awning.

Your dealer should, but may not, cover that under warranty. The domes are considered a "wear item"like brakes or tires... Hopefully you have a good dealer.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Pod613

So we picked up our 2019 RP176 on Monday and brought it home....I find the build quality of the Dometic rdome to be mediocre....I noticed a tear... in the fabric (not seam).

OK - Full Disclosure - I have ranted before about the r-dome. Beautiful concept, lousy execution. 

Older ones apparently were better built, the last few years' are, to be very kind, 'mediocre'. Mine bought in 2014 has NOT worn well. 

P.M. me for more detailed info from my perspective. 

I agree a side tent is much better than the awning. When my current r-dome finishes falling apart, probably next year,  I'll try the Pahaque, the only alternative that I know at this time. 

https://pahaquecustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38

The Pahaque is not perfect, the attachment to the r-pod wall seems to be a weak point but the material at least is modern tent-type.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:05pm
Sorry to hear it has a tear.. real bummer. Also hope the dealer takes care of this for you.

I found it rather nice. No, not the best tent I've come across, but from me it's better than the awning option. Now, if those sides actually zipped out.. It would get a much better rating! 

As far as pahaque goes, I see less opening in theirs.. Tell me the front 'and sides' zip out on theirs and I'd probably look deeper at them.
Now that rear tent! Ya baby! That is what I'm looking for on Lily!
There's protection at the outside kitchen and my shower room!

My plus points the Dome is it's self supportive. The pads on the corners worked out great for placing a couple of big rocks on. No wire/ropes to dodge. Also like the straps for tie-down when required. Front comes off and side do roll up. Turns into a nice large fly.

Cons: Well, as mentioned the sides do not come off. Really wish they did. Doesn't attach well to the pod on the sides. Those suction things, well don't suck very well. I did have velcro with me and have to figure a way to get it to stick to the Dome (stuck to the Pod very well).  
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:11pm
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:12pm
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
RoushFam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:12pm
I am so glad I stumbled upon your rear tent post.  Total game changer for our 182G.  We actually were considering trading in the 182G for a 176.  May have to scrap those plans now!  We love our dome.  Yes its not the best quality but I wouldn't trade it for an awning.  I have purchased better suction cups and better stakes to make setup a little easier.  I don't need to anchor as many points with the stakes I purchased.  

Brandon Roush

Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
Good evening all,
 I too like the Dome concept over an awning and agree the durabiilty is lacking. I like the versitility of the dome.  The overflow area for guests to sleep is awsome. 

We haven't had any tears in the dome but must be very careful setting it up and taking down. It has served us well during several storms without leaking.

The problems I have with it are:  1. I installed the four inch risers to the camper frame resulting in the sides of the dome do not lay flat to the ground. The setup looks kinda goofy with the sides of the dome close to the camper higher than at the arch. 2. I find trying to stake it down is difficult with rocks, tree roots or hard slate stone base of the camp site. I wish there was a way to weight the flaps down with something other than big rocks or firewood. 3. Lastly I agree with previous post about the suction cup attachment to camper. The camper sides must be clean for good suction and if the wind blows sometimes the sides unhook. I want to fashion bungee cord loops for a shock cord between the dome side and the suction cup hook. This should alleviate the unhooking and give some versatility on where to attach suction cups. Happy camping
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Barryb125 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:12pm
Hi Markie;

I am a new R Pod 178 owner and looking to buy a R Dome. Did yours come with your R Pod? If not, can you tell me where and how much you paid for it?
Thanks
Barry
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:41pm
Rpod dealers sell them and probably drop ship to your house. $300-500. I negotiated and had them throw it in when I purchased camper. Far more useful than awning. Yes I too was skeptical of quality of Rdome, being a former tenter with high quality products. This is year three and so far no issues. Very versatile. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>