Topic ClosedNew 171 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 171 owner
    Posted: 19 May 2010 at 9:37am
Thanks for the tips.  I really like the camp-and-view-from-the-river idea.  No fighting the crowds all day (to end up with a scrubbed launch), then traffic for hours after.  Do you have names of some parks?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpups View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:09am
2 good ones are Jetty Park and Kars Park.
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:24pm
Welcome, rpups, from a fellow Floridian. Look forward to hearing more from you. This forum is lots of fun and a fount of information. Invaluable!
F150/R-pod171
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:22pm
Congrats and welcome! we use a jeep and love our 171, wish I could quit work and go more often
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 12:28pm
WE are new owners of the 171. I am trying to get on this forum in order to LEARN new things, hints of those experienced with the r.pod.
Does it take a while to get approved by the board because I have received a "not approved" message.
Nevertheless, I know this forum could prove a lifesaver for me as I want to learn the use of the r.pod as husband does not care for camping anymore.We live in the Great Smokies and have access nearby to small trips, he might just enjoy going again. Having started out in tents and progressing to diesel pusher, this is exciting new way to go. Waiting for delivery of Ford Edge (with factory installed tow package) and the "mating" of the 2.
Never have pulled a trailer, need all information, hints, cautions. And fun things. Has anyone had the experience of living in one, just one person and small dog.  Sisters on the Fly seem to have a joy of doing. Are there any such clubs on the East coast?
Lots of questions, just hope I can get back in to read them.
Embarrassed
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 1:09pm
Welcome mountain mist from another 171er. This is a great group of people and you will get your questions answered. Don't know the answer to  the "not approved" message, but am sure it will be cleared up quickly. Don't give up. Love the Smokies and am headed that way in late September, out of the Florida heat!
F150/R-pod171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 2:42pm
Welcome mountain mist.  Just took care of approving you so you are all set.

I have the 171.  Many people find the 'pods tow very nicely.  Some prefer to use a sway bar and some like using weight distribution hitches.  Of all the trailers I've towed over the years the 'pod has been the most comfortable, and while I thought I might get a sway bar (which was essential for my popup) now I don't think I need it.  Its also light enough that I wouldn't consider a WDH.  Your best bet is to go on a trip or two before spending money on either.  If you do find it sways more than you want, you can try shifting most of what you packed in the 'pod in front of the axle, and not traveling with the holding tanks full.

I recommend highly getting a Tekonsha Prodigy as your brake controller.  Do not buy one of the slightly cheaper timer-based controllers.  You can find a Prodigy online for less than $100 and its worth every penny.  After years of towing with the older style controller, the first time I towed with the Prodigy I wondered why I waited so long to upgrade.  When set correctly you can forget at times that the trailer is back there as you make stops in heavy traffic.

After getting both vehicles and hitching up a few times, drive to your local shopping center or school and practice backing the trailer up until you are comfortable.  Make a checklist of things to look at before taking off (stabilizers up, hitch lock secure, etc) and check that list each time, even after stopping for lunch.  You know how to camp so that's a plus, just remember to question the need for everything before you put it in the 'pod or tow vehicle.  Not as much room as a bus!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 3:40pm
Thank you for information, I will take this  with me for check out after I get some 500 miles on my new Edge so I can start towing!
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 7:26pm
Welcome, we have a 171, been out 5 times so far, love it! also did some mods, in in that forum, it tows great, for 2 of us it is a great comfort, we graduated from tent camping. still cook outside mostly and use the facilities in the campgrounds when there are some( shower/toilet) and know you will enjoy yours.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12