R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential converter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential converter problem
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:11pm
I am on my second converter in my 2017 model 180. I am very familiar with its operation and monitor it closely with a permanent voltmeter. It is quickly going into the float mode of 13.2 volts while using and living in the unit. The only way to get it into the normal or absorption mode of 13.6 is to cycle the power on and off. I have tried to increase power usage and the fan on the converter will activate but it will stay in the float mode. The 2 batteries were down to 12.3 volts or 70 percent so they weren’t topped off when I removed power. Some might think the float mode is normal but I am skeptical. I am asking for input from the experts. Also I really want the progressive dynamics converter but need to know the model number, does it fit where the WFCO 8955 was, and is the wiring the same. I know this has been discussed but my search of the forum did not answer my specific questions. Thank you. This forum is awesome.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:24pm

It's literally plug and play. Took about 45 minutes the first one I did, about 15 on the last one.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:46pm
Not normal to stay in "float mode", it should move to float only after not seeing a draw after some time, like 40 hours. Mine does that. A good battery and functioning converter should cycle in the float and charge mode, shouldn't be in bulk mode.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:13pm
I went thru 2 WFCO converters in my 2017 180.  I installed the Progressive Dynamic unit, myself, with help from furpod. Well worth the effort.  No more converter problems.
Davidb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:22pm
I replaced my failed WFCO on my 2018 180 within a month of purchase with the Progressive Dynamics PD 4655 TV from Wildkat Power (Best Power) 888 828 1893. 

I sent the original WFCO back and it was replaced with a new one, kept as spare.

The Progessive 4655 also failed due to a broken lead on a component, installed the WFCO.

I returned the Progressive to Best Power and was sent a replacement immediately. Carried it as spare, they are a very good company to deal with

The replacement WFCO failed yesterday in Colorado no D.C. Output at all.
I swapped it out with the spare Progressive Dynamics, all good.

I would recommend at the least to carry a battery charger to salvage your trip and as I do carry a spare converter also.

The Progressive Dynamics unit is very well made, I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Not sure if I can get the failed WFCO replaced again under warranty.

David

David
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:27pm
Thank you everyone. Great information and I will order the progressive tomorrow. I encourage a voltmeter installation to all.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:19am
Did anyone get the remote for the Progressive? Is it worth $15?
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:30pm
I will report the first progressive 4655 I installed recently made an electronic noise similar to a computer hard drive when the lights were off. 1 LED light turned on it would be silent. Called the company and they were aware of the problem with some units immediately sent out a replacement and this one works. The pendant is not worth it. It uses a series of light flashes to advise what mode it is in, and you can force it into its max charge of 14.4 volts but not recommended A voltmeter is the best verification of its mode and its operation.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 9:21pm
Also installed the PD 4655 in my 2016. OEM WFCO started making a lot fan noise and I decided not to wait for a complete fail. It’s quite easy to install and it comes with a control board that has the button to force it into boost mode. I just had to cut the cover a bit to expose it, so the pendant is really redundant. I’ve never found an instance where I needed to force it into boost anyway.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:12am
Goog Morning mcarter. I just now came across the posts about converter issues. Being behind the 8 ball when it come to rv electrical stuff, I do not know how to check the “battery float”. Can you help. Thanks.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>