R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential converter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential converter problem
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:40pm
Hey Bro.

I have a digital voltmeter mounted in trailer. But simple. Attach a voltmeter to your battery. With trailer connected to shore power. If it is need of charge it will indicate the "Bulk" mode, somewhere around 14V and you may hear the converter fan running. It may be close to charge then it should be around 13.6V and that is the normal mode (Absorbtion). A properly charged and maintained battery will after some time move to the "Float" mode, around 13.1 V, it's just maintaining charge and it will remain there with no significant battery uses. If you are staying on shore power a properly maintained battery will never be in the "Bulk" mode. So end of the day, plug into shore power and watch the batter go thru the 3 stage charging loop. You can periodically check battery voltage with voltmeter and get an idea where your at in cycles. Make sense.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:29pm
Thanks for the info Mike. I will get a 12volt meter. Is the a best location to tap into a 12 volt line.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:52am
I ran a 12V source from spare fuse in converter. Didn't tap into any existing line. Run wire from source and ground, add fuse, mount voltmeter - done.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:54am
BTW - I bought a combination gauge, that has LED voltmeter, 2 USB ports and a lighter style plug.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Davidb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:06am
Update:
My replacement WFCO arrived a few days ago, will carry it as a spare.
David
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:01am
I like that setup. Can’t imagine not having the lighter style 12 volt not factory installed. I will try, following your instructions. Thanks, and have a great day.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:43pm
Thought this would be a good thread to tag onto. I've learned a couple things about converters since mine died on our recent road trip. First is to carry a car battery charger with you. Once I figured out my converter died I was able to keep on rolling by just switching off the AC power to converter breaker and hooking up the charger to the battery. Second after removing the dead WFCO converter and examining it my conclusion is its JUNK! I found a number of the large ceramic power resistors had broken loose from the circuit board. I've sent that back to WFCO for warranty repair, for a spare back up, but have now installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 converter. It's pricey but I shouldn't have to worry about resistors falling off the circuit board and the converter failing.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:51pm
There's another post on here with same failure. They may weigh in. Resistors fell off board. Interesting, many of us have WFCO convertors that have lasted years. Some issues reported earlier. Like the idea of PD replacement and keeping WFCO as backup.
Mike Carter
2015 178
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:26pm
It maybe simply that WFCO now has a new manufacture assembling their boards. The circuit board maybe a thinner, smaller circuit board traces and lands, or they went with a cheaper power resistors with smaller leads. I can't say what exactly is their problem but a problem they do now have. They also need to upgrade what they use to "cement" components such as these large power resistors to the circuit board. When I pulled the circuit board out it was so obvious that these resistors had broken leads due to vibration. As I said one of the best backups you can have for your camper and tow vehicle too is a cheap battery charger.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:46pm
My WFCO fan starting making more noise than my CPAP machine. Just figured that was not a good omen. After a bunch of reading, decided a prophylactic change would be a good idea. I have dual 6v Duracells. 

Went with the Progressive Dynamics PD4655V. Amazon => https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OR4242/

The unit itself is a direct replacement and pretty straight forward. The distribution board, however,  does not fit (my) WFCO 8955. Also, the board that came with it is a 80 amp board with a max fused position of 20 amp vs. the existing 150 amp board with max fused position of 30 amp for slideout. I decided to use the existing WFCO 8955 distribution board and confirmed with Progressive Dynamics. They did, in fact, send me a "charge wizard" dongle if I wished to use the manual 14.2 v. boost mode override. The override might be useful for pumping a bunch of amps into batteries in a short amount of time while on generator.

My experience so far has been that the dongle seems unnecessary. I have a panel mounted voltmeter and the converter seems to be intelligently and quietly charging @ 14.2, 13.6 and 13.2 volts as needed.

I am glad I made the swap and sleep better.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>