R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential converter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential converter problem
    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:13pm
Just wanted to add...

I carry a Yamaha 2400 genny. During a ridiculously hot and skeetery night night on Prince Edward Island boon docking, I found my AC would not kick on with generator. Surprised me. Turns out the PD4655V draws about 950 watts @ full load and AC (measured) is 1600+ watts. A bit too much for Yammy. Turning off converter for AC works fine.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Just wanted to add...

Turns out the PD4655V draws about 950 watts @ full load and AC (measured) is 1600+ watts.
55 amps at 14.5 volts comes out to "almost" 800 watts. Was that a measured value that you got?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 7:00am
Hi GlueGuy,

I measured the AC with my Kill-A-Watt. That's where the 1600+ came from. It wasn't happy. The 950 watts came from the Progressive Dynamics website => https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/inteli-power-4600-series/#specifications

Perhaps I am reading it wrong?

fred
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 7:39am
One of the things I saw on youtube that made sense was an RVer who had a small 150a inverter that would plug into cig lighter. He used it to run a 12 v charger and charged a spare 12v battery when he was traveling. Battery sat on passenger side floorboards while charging. Fairly low cost and trouble free backup.

I think bringing a decent battery charger will be a must for me.

Solar will also help.

I have a deep cycle marine battery, brand new. Bought to run Elec trolling motor. I think it will be coming with.  A set of jumper cables and I have a spare backup battery.

I certainly do not intend to rely on the converter. The only question is if it is worth it to replace it. Or just find a small battery charger hooked up and wired to shore power.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 9:56am

Hi GlueGuy,

I measured the AC with my Kill-A-Watt. That's where the 1600+ came from. It wasn't happy. The 950 watts came from the Progressive Dynamics website => https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/inteli-power-4600-series/#specifications

Perhaps I am reading it wrong?

fred
If the input power is 950 watts, then that speaks to the efficiency of the converter. 800/950 means that the converter is "about" 84% efficient. That's not stellar, but not out of the realm of normal. Sometimes you can find chargers that operate in the 90-95% efficiency range.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:15pm

My WFCO fan starting making more noise than my CPAP machine. Just figured that was not a good omen. After a bunch of reading, decided a prophylactic change would be a good idea. I have dual 6v Duracells. 

Went with the Progressive Dynamics PD4655V. Amazon => https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OR4242/

The unit itself is a direct replacement and pretty straight forward. The distribution board, however,  does not fit (my) WFCO 8955. Also, the board that came with it is a 80 amp board with a max fused position of 20 amp vs. the existing 150 amp board with max fused position of 30 amp for slideout. I decided to use the existing WFCO 8955 distribution board and confirmed with Progressive Dynamics. They did, in fact, send me a "charge wizard" dongle if I wished to use the manual 14.2 v. boost mode override. The override might be useful for pumping a bunch of amps into batteries in a short amount of time while on generator.

My experience so far has been that the dongle seems unnecessary. I have a panel mounted voltmeter and the converter seems to be intelligently and quietly charging @ 14.2, 13.6 and 13.2 volts as needed.

I am glad I made the swap and sleep better.

fred

Fred,

Could you tell me the part # of the Charging Wizard dongle and does it plug directly into the converter board at the front where it has a 4 pin (I think its four?) port plug labeled H3? I too kept the WFCO 8955 fuse distribution board so I'll need this external controller from Progressive Dynamics to take advantage charging options on my PD4655V. I plan on calling Progressive Dynamics the first of the week so it would be helpful to have this information. Thanks!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:38pm
Dave,

I used their online form @ https://www.progressivedyn.com/contact-us/

My Message:

I purchased the PD4655V as an upgrade to my WFCO 8955 in my 2014 RPod. The installation of the converter was no problem. The instructions were clear and accurate.

The DC distribution panel, however is a different story. The panel in my WFCO 8955 is a 150 amp panel with 40 amp reverse battery protection and a 30 amp position for slideout. The PD4655V is a 80 amp board with 30 amp reverse battery protection and max fused positions @ 20 amps. Besides that comparison, it does not snap into place in place in the control center.

I was hoping to take advantage of the optional boost mode capability of the PD4655V. It seems as thought this *is not* a direct replacement for the WFCO 8955. At least not in my factory configuration.

Can you please advise? Thank You!

I got an email back in a day or so...

Use the existing WFCO board and I will send you a Pendant that will plug into the 4655 section.

This will give you the light and button for the Wizard.

Without the Pendant or our fuseboard the 4655 will function in and out of the modes automatically. The button and light are only manual temporary.
overrides.

Give me your address and I will send one to you.

I haven't done it yet. It will require a small bit of soldering. ==> https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/PD92201_for_PD4600.pdf

Hope that helps,

fred

DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:41pm

Dave,
I haven't done it yet. It will require a small bit of soldering. ==> https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/PD92201_for_PD4600.pdf
Hope that helps,
fred

Fred,
It helps allot, thanks! I had my RV repair shop replace the converter since they helped bail me out of trouble when I was on the road and it failed. So now I need to also contact them to see if they still have the harness connector that should of come with the converter. If not I guess I'll be buying one from Progressive Dynamics when I call and I also have your post in front of me when I talk to them. Again thanks!

Dave
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:40am
Called Progressive Dynamics tech support, their service is great unlike WFCO who made me jump through to many hoops for warranty repair of their failed converter. WFCO apparently hasn't learned a thing from their customers since the new converter they sent me has the same flimsy attached ceramic power resistors with using just a dab of silicon calk. So I will be taking that converter apart to apply a good dollop of silicon all around these power resistors to make sure if I ever use this converter these resistors leads don't break loose from vibration as did the converter that failed. Anyways the charge wizard control pendant along with a free wiring harness you solder it to that plugs into the PD converter board cost a whopping 14 bucks with shipping, not bad hey! Plan on attaching using a strip of Velcro on the converter after plugging it into the four pin connector. Easy! Smile    
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:24pm
Just replaced the bad WFCO converter in my kids' Pod with a PD 4655.  Easy swap.  Didn't bother to change the fuse panel as I bought and used the Charge Wizard pendant.  Soldering the correct plug on it was easy, and it then plugs into the front of the PD converter board. Hole sawed a couple of small holes in the above shelving at the front corners and knocked out a plug in the back of the WFCO housing and ran the pendant up into the cabinet for easy access.  Works like a charm.  BTW, the WFCO failed due to a ceramic resistor falling right out!  WFCO says they don't see that and something must have been done to it.  Riiiight.  My son says he got up in the night and took the converter out and wiggled the resistor until it fell out.  He threw the resistor on the compartment floor and then he put the converter back and went back to bed.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>