R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential converter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential converter problem
    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Tibof

BTW, the WFCO failed due to a ceramic resistor falling right out!  WFCO says they don't see that and something must have been done to it.  Riiiight.  My son says he got up in the night and took the converter out and wiggled the resistor until it fell out.  He threw the resistor on the compartment floor and then he put the converter back and went back to bed.

Tibof, seems your son had the same experience as I and many other have had with the shoddy WFCO converters. Why Forest River even uses this manufacture after so many complaints is beyond me?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:01pm
DavMar, I totally agree with you, but I do remember furpod telling me that “you get what you paid for” when I was going on about the quality of the FR R-Pod.Actually he even added that he was thru with me.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:32pm
How many converters have failed?  How many have been installed? I would be interessted in the numbers you have to prove your case.  in Tibof's case the converter was way out of warranty. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

How many converters have failed?  How many have been installed? I would be interessted in the numbers you have to prove your case.  in Tibof's case the converter was way out of warranty. 

I believe if count up the number of people who have posted on this forum on the failures of WFCO converters it is more then obvious this company now has a problem. One that could easily be solved by a more generous use of silicon caulk to anchor the ceramic power resistors to the circuit board which would prevent their leads breaking off from vibration. I spent my career working on electronics in a very heavy vibration environment so not to brag but I think I'm a bit qualified to make a diagnosis and judgement. No matter who manufactures a converter or how long you have had it there is no excuse for this type of fault, period! Tibof has a valid complaint whether or not his converter was in or not in the warranty period. We all may agree to disagree here on this or other issues concerning our R-Pods that part of what an open forum is all about. In the end it's about helping each other out with what ever problems we encounter on out campers I would hope everyone would agree with? One can only hope some one from Forest River is also viewing these posts and comes to the conclusion they have a problem they need to address.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:23am
Inother words you don't have data.  You have an opinion.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:33am

Inother words you don't have data.  You have an opinion.

Let see I think you can count as well as I can, yes? When numerous forum user post they have a problem then I think that gives you a good indication there is a problem. Yes, I do have a OPINION, indeed, its an opinion from spending over thirty years repairing electronic circuits that are used in a high vibration environment. Which I believe may give me some validity to make an opinion but I guess you believe otherwise? So please tell me and everyone else what your opinion is and your qualifications to come to such a conclusion.

Peace 
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 3:21pm
I have not looked at this power resistor on our WFCO converter, but if it is getting hot, it may be undersized or need a heat sink attached. I've worked in the computer/electronics industry for over 40 years, and have seen lots of power resistors get too hot and then work themselves loose.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 3:52pm
Me either, but agree with you. Lot of experienced folks on this board. Justified in having an educated opinion. Personally I have had no issues with my WFCO convertor, when I do. I'll fix it. When that happens, I'll probably have an opinion.:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 3:55pm
Hi GlueGuy....Is there a schematic with the parts you mentioned. I am electrically challenged and will not be able to find them. Thx 
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 4:38pm

The WFCO converter has a two year warranty.  We can debate the meaning of "way out" but given the age of the Pod in question, we are looking at 3 years at most on this one, ie. a year beyond the deadline.  I was told by WFCO that they can go beyond the two years, but they wouldn't define what that meant.  But, OK, lets accept the strict deadline of the warranty.  As you may know from my spoiler issue, if it is a product defect (as with the spoiler), my view is that a good company stands behind the product rather than blame the problem on the owner or some unseen force. In another conversation with WFCO, I was told that the problem was probably due to a thin or cold solder joint. That's a product defect.  Given the minimal cost WFCO has in one of those foreign made converters, they could easily meet the consumer of a bad product half way (and still make money and a strong reputation that's worth money). Prove the case?  Even the small sample that shows up in this forum (which is actually empirical data) is sufficient mathematically to verify a wide range of failures.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>