R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVinyl Trim Strip replacement with awning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Trim Strip replacement with awning?
    Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:52am
I need some advice. When our 179 went to the factory for repair, we got the Thule awning installed. I am guesssing that at the same time, the trim strip was installed. We are traveling in Arizona, and I noticed the trim strips had cracked. This was not just in a small area, but a good distance along the top on the slide-out side and on the front and back ends of the door side had split. I don't think the factory vinyl trim strips could take the Arizona heat.

I ordered new trim strip from Amazon (JR Products 10111 Premium Vinyl Insert - Black, 1" x 100'). I am impressed on how much thicker and more flexible it is than the factory trim strip. I got the slide-out side done with no problem. The isse is that I can't feed the strip through under the awning.

The best I can see is that I have two options. The first is to remove the awning so I can get to the strip under it.
advantage: the strip would be in one piece all the way. Disadvantage: The awning would have to be removed, old Dicor cleaned off, the strip replaced, then the awning reinstalled with the worry about whether it would leak. The second option is to run the strip only from the bottom of the roof up to where it goes under the bracket, shoving it in as far as I can. Advantage: Easier to do and does not require removing the awning. Disadvantage: It would leave a gap in the strip under the awning. This might be mitigated somewhat if I were to fill the gap between the strip and the awning frame with something to act as a seal while I use non-sag lap sealant to seal the openings.

Is this second option workable? Is there anyone who has replace the trim strips with the awning? If so, how did you do it, method one or two? I'm leaning toward method two if it will work.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:59pm
Stephen, could you attach a picture.  Not having a pod with an awning, I'm lacking the visual reference.   I hear you loud and clear.  Just drove home 200 miles today.  The last 50 were in a massive continuous downpour.  I was happy to have the confidence that the pod was tight as a drum...except for the vertical weatherstrip on the front windows.  FR seemed to cut them slightly short or they have shrunk.   I've purchased the stick filler/adhesive, but it really does not fill the gap.  
Sorry, got off topic.  Post a pic so that we can see how the awning a and trim strip are situated.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:36am
I'll post a picture in the morning. we were out with my daughter and grandchildren until after dark.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:07pm
Stephen, I too would like to see a pic.  I can't picture where you're talking about...and I'm here at work.  I thought the only place for the vinyl insert was around the slide-out and the gutter above the slide-out.....thought the corner stuff was different??

And yes, FR did a lousy job of installing the insert.  There are holes and gaps and cracked insert around the whole slide-out.  I have a roll of the stuff and need to redo it.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:47pm
No, I am not talking about the slide-out. I am talking about the strip along both sides that cover the screws in the rails at the joint of the roof and sides. I realized that I can't post a picture right now as I am not home and I self-host my pictures on my computer at home. That is several states away right now. I need to figure out how to load it remotely to the right place so I can make a picture link work.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply