R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToyota pickup V6 vs V8 - Event Date: 06 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Toyota pickup V6 vs V8
    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 6:05pm
All true, if you compare engines, you have to categorize whether it's normally aspirated (no turbo or supercharger) or if it is force fed (turbo charger or supercharger). 

The newer V6 turbocharged engines are very impressive.  They operate better at higher elevation and take a much smaller hit on power because of altitude like a non-turbo engine. I'm watching, and when I'm ready for a new vehicle, maybe that's the ticket. They sure do COST a lot more though.

I might even give a hard look a the new Dodge Durango V8, good tow specs and a powerful V8 and about 20mpg. Still, they cost near $50K new. 

For the R-pod's any engine putting out near or over 300ft-lbs will be a very good tow experience power wise. 

Of course if someone only tows close to home within a 100 miles or so and doesn't do long distance towing or hitting the hills with great frequency, all that power is not really a priority. This subject is so very subjective. It really depends on what someone really needs, think they need, and can live with.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
pnwcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 6:07pm
Glueguy, do you know when Ford started offering the Ecoboost? What year?

Thanks
2014 R-Pod 177
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4.0 V6
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by pnwcamper

CharlieM,

Is your supercharged Tacoma aftermarket or factory installed? If aftermarket how much does it cost parts and labor for a mechanic to install? I assume gas millage compromised?

Any other pluses or minuses to the supercharge?

Thanks

The short answer to all the above is yes. The SC was manufactured and offered by Toyota Racing Development (TRD). For some strange legal/marketing reason the Toyota dealers could not include it with the vehicle purchase but they could sell it afterwards, install it, and guarantee it as if it were part of the original factory 36 mo. warranty. Go figure. I actually bought the SC from a third party Toyota parts dealer (cheaper) and had the dealership shop install it. It was then fully covered by the Toyota warranty. The total cost was around $7000; well worth it to me for high altitude mountain towing. It's my answer to the V8, which Toyota would not put in the mid sized Tacoma.

The advantages are obvious: much better performance. On one trip I was able to maintain 60 MPH towing my LivinLite 21RBS (3500# empty plus full load) climbing a 9% grade in the Sierras. That plus everything I threw at it in the Rockies confirms my initial decision.

Disadvantages are few but it does make a whine that takes some getting used to. I also have to burn premium gas but I always did anyway when towing. So I have to fill up with premium for around town driving but that's not a problem. The Tacoma was bought specifically to tow the camper and sits in the driveway most other times.

As for gas mileage it's the same as any other power upgrade. If you use it you'll pay for it. Keep your foot off and it's no worse than an NA V6. Same would go for a V8 vs V6.

Toyota stopped offering the SC beginning in 2104. Maybe problems meeting Federal fuel and pollution standards. They also "upgraded" the V6 by increasing the rated RPM. I hate the scream of a 6000 RPM engine. That seems to be today's norm which can only lead to decreased engine life. The old Chevy 350 CID engine is sorely missed Wink.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by pnwcamper

Glueguy, do you know when Ford started offering the Ecoboost? What year?

Thanks
The original V6 EcoBoost was introduced in 2009. There are now several models; at least a couple of 4-cylinder and at least a couple of 6-cylinder.

These are not like the turbocharged engines from back in the 80s or 90s. There used to be issues with cool-down, and other things. The Ford V6 EcoBoost engines utilize two separate turbochargers; one for each 3-cylinder bank. That allows them to make them smaller. The advantages are that they spin up faster, and eliminate most of the lag that had been associated with early turbocharged engines. They do really spin though. I've read that the turbos in the 3.5L EcoBoost spin at something like 170,000 RPM.

The 3.5L EcoBoost is now on the 2nd or 3rd generation, depending on how you count generations. The 2.7L EcoBoost (no slouch at all) is essentially a 2nd generation version.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:21am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by CharlieM

Big difference in favor or the V8. "There's no substitute for cubes."
The Ford 3.5L V6 EcoBoost will out-tow that Tundra with its eyes closed. It puts out over 400 ft-lbs at only 1800 RPM, and continues with an almost flat torque curve all the way to redline. It will also out-tow Ford's own 5.0L V8.

Turbochargers have been the replacement for displacement for over 20 years.

LOL.. I ain't no chevy fan boi.. but I promise you, drop a twin turbo on the 5.3, and the adage remains the same. Rebuild that 5.3 with boost in the plan, (as the ecoboost engines are) and that 3.5 is nothing but a spec in the mirror.

More displacement is always the answer for maximum power. Yes you can spin, stuff, build with unobtanium, and electronically control the living crap out of small engines and make some truly remarkable numbers. But starting with a bigger engine, means bigger numbers on the back end.. just plain old physics.

In the case of this discussion it revolves around how much power do you need to get the job done, and how thick is your wallet.

DenisP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:15pm
I tow my 2010 171 with a 2013 Tundra 5.7 L which has no issue except it is thirsty (11.5mpg).  The 5.7 L has 381 hp and just over 400 ftlb of torque.  It gets it done.
T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by furpod

LOL.. I ain't no chevy fan boi.. but I promise you, drop a twin turbo on the 5.3, and the adage remains the same. Rebuild that 5.3 with boost in the plan, (as the ecoboost engines are) and that 3.5 is nothing but a spec in the mirror.
As long as the engine is built for the loads the boost will impart. The EcoBoost engines all have 6-bolt main bearings (four in tension, and two in shear). The high torque will impose a big load on the crank and main journals pretty much like a diesel engine. If the 5.3 has the more typical 2-bolt main bearings, then adding a turbo might just be too much for it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:58pm
I think we need to stick to motors available from dealers and manufacturers. I can turbo/super my 5.3 Chevy and get 700 HP, so when I not towing I could be running 1/8 miles at the local strip, what's that prove. The 3.5 Ford is impressive, to me - more impressive than the 5.0 Ford. I am a Chevy guy:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12