R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFresh Water Tank cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Water Tank cleaning
    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 11:36am
Question about Fresh water tank maintenance. We don't have to winterize here, nor do we have any odor from Fresh water tank. We don't drink it, and only do dishes and and teeth with it. So while I treat the Black and Grey tanks, nothing has been done for Fresh water tank in its 18 months of service. The only thing I do have is some algae on the inside of the drain plug.  

I don't really want chlorine/bleach in my system, so I bought Camco 40207 TastePURE Spring Fresh Water System Cleaner and Deodorizer.  Active ingredients: Ethylalchol, Sorbitan Monooleate Ethoxylate. Anyone know if this will work for algae and whether it's even necessary?  Thanks!
2017.5 iPod 178
Oceanside, CA
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 4:11pm
Rick,

What kind of water are you filling the tank with? Well water, rain water? Are you using chlorinated, treated water? When was the last time you sterilized your house? Lot of folks sanitizing fresh water systems on here, and I agree if you didn't use treated water. That quarter or half cup of bleach is not doing anything different than what a municipal water system uses.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Rick Nic

Active ingredients: Ethylalchol, Sorbitan Monooleate Ethoxylate. <div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Working from memory, that stuff sounds like the same "ingredients" listed on a package of Twinkies that I ate a couple of hours ago....along with some other stuff & colorings.      Just kidding.

"The Book" says sanitize before each use. I don't know if what you have will work. However, I do know that having algae growth in the fresh tank can be a bugger to remedy.

Rick Nic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:41am
Thanks Mike, two good points.  Because of the algae I may as well go ahead with bleach treatment.  Like you say, either way it's no huge deal.  I do use tap city treated water most of the time,  Some people leave some in the tank during short inactivity to prevent growth, which seems weird.
2017.5 iPod 178
Oceanside, CA
Rick Nic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:42am
Thanks David - that's what I would think.  I can only imagine when that stuff gets going.
2017.5 iPod 178
Oceanside, CA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:41am
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:02am
So this and other post have got me thinking.  We sanitize our trailer annually with a diluted bleach mix, running through all of our faucets for some time, then draining the main tank, refill with city water, run though facets and drained again.  Don't want to drink bleach water, but want the bleach to clean the tank and the lines and faucets after sitting all winter. 

We drink out of our water tank.  We use it to boil water for coffee press/tea and mac and cheese, etc.  We use it.  This and the link others listed made me head out and pull my fresh water tank plug.  Is this algae???  I thought it was some grit and sand or something that accumulated at the lowest point that got into the system.  This is not the first time I've found this.  The other time the pod had sat for some time in the summer as well.  Is that the culprit? 

I'm completely bummed out by this.  To date we have had no issues with drinking the water.  Now I will admit that the pod has spent two weeks in the drive with less than 1/3 fresh tank filled.  Yes we've had some hot weather.  What do I do? 
  • We use the Camco charcoal filter when hooked up to city water at camp sites.  
  • I don't use the filter when I fill up tank before I leave form home.  Just fill up city (treated) water.
  • Should I empty the FW tank when not in use?
    • Again, pod has sat there for 16ish days since our last camping trip over the Holiday weekend.  Had several 90+ days.
  • After I drain it should I left the system dry out for a few days and then put the plug back in.  Here in Idaho we have a dry climate.   
  • Should I also drain the low points?
  • What do I need to do when I fill it back up?  Pop in a few of the HTH tablets? 
  • How many days can I let the water sit in the tank?
  • Should I re-sanitize?
I guess it makes sense.  When you go to grab that half drunk water bottle that's been rolling around in your car for a week in July, you grab it to take a swig, and it's funky. 

I'm all ears.  Please post the Good, Bad and the Ugly on POD water storage.  Here in the West "whiskeys for drinking and waters for fighting".  We're going to use the tank.  We bought the camper to use the water storage.  Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thank you everyone for your input and help on whats been written and what's to come.
This forum rocks!
Thanks
Jeff

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:55am
To some extent the only answer is your comfort level.  I'm old and I grew up drinking from (green) garden hoses and mountain streams.  I still do occasionally, even though I understand some good reasons not to now.  I don't drink a lot of water, no matter what, but I don't hesitate to drink from my Pod tank when I want.

I do the bleach thing once or twice a year.  I'm on a well at home, so no (germ fighting) chemicals in my water.  I drink the water but I clean the tank from time to time.

I don't know what that is in your drain plug.  It doesn't look like algae to me.  Maybe it's bleached dead algae.  I wouldn't wipe it out with my finger and lick my finger, but I don't think it would stop me from drinking the water.

Try filling a big jar with water from your kitchen tap at home and let it sit for a couple of days.  I'll bet there will be a think film of something similar on the bottom of the jar.

Safe to drink doesn't mean distilled pure water.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

To some extent the only answer is your comfort level.
TT

+1 on your comfort level/risk tolerance.

What is in the picture could be algae but, I can't know for certain.

Personally, if I were intending to consume water from the tank, I would sanitize frequently throughout the season.

I think I have mentioned before that I take "bottled" water (Walmart @ $.89/gal) for my consumption. I rarely use more than 1/2 gallon per day as 99.9% of the time it is just used making coffee. The rest of my fluids are usually "store bought" beverages.

Dixie (my dog) gets to drink the campground water, from a filled jug. Interestingly, there have been a couple of occasions when she refused to drink it. She is pretty smart and has a very good nose! (For what it is worth)

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Is this algae? ...  This is not the first time I've found this.  The other time the pod had sat for some time in the summer as well.  Is that the culprit?  

I don't know, not having a microscope, but probably "green algae" of the following reference: 

http://aqua.iwaponline.com/content/early/2016/04/13/aqua.2016.115

But not to worry, kill it with bleach and flush well until clear, and then repeat chlorine treatment periodically. I bet all of us have low concentrations of these 'bugs' in our tanks, we just don't notice them and they do no harm in this situation.

"The solution to pollution is dilution". In most cities, what we drink now was sewage just a little while ago, and even clear natural spring water has lots of little things in it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>