FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm

10-12 mpg is the norm, regardless of tow vehicle - with a normally aspirated gasoline engine. In spite of it's rounded shape, the Pod doesn't tow any differently than anybody else's 18-20' travel trailer. I know this from experience, as do some others, here on the forum.

Think of gasoline as "liquid energy". We pull the equivalent of a mini-barn down the road. It just takes a certain amount of engine power and "liquid energy" to accomplish this.

I'd love to see you in a Pod and happy. I'm doubtful you would be happy with the present tow vehicle. I'd not want to see you spend five figures $$$$$ to find out it ain't going to work. At our ages, who wants this kind of problem? (I'm younger but, retired)

I kind of like one member's solution (lostagain?) of buying a used Pod and a good used tow vehicle.

TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
Where is Bernouilli when you need him? Maybe if I put a wing on top of the Outback I can get some lift off of it to compensate for the drag. Hah!

Ouch! 10-11 mpg. That’s sort of negates the point of a small trailer to me. I was interested in a Born Free Built For Two, but they are built on a Ford F350 chassis and I just found out that they only get about 10 to 11. Ugh. As it is, towing our A-frame drops our mpg from 30+ for the Outback on the freeway (not towing) to about 17. That’s about as low as I think I can stand to go.

I fell in love with the Scamps in the mid-‘70s. They were pitching them to the drivers of small compact cars. I’m a 4-cylinder subcompact girl, so that always appealed to me. Our daily driver is a little Honda Fit and the Outback is mostly for road trips.

openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:42pm
For the OP - Look on Outdorsy or some other web site that rents campers (many R-Pods are for rent by owners on these sites.)  If your Subaru has the correct hitch and brake controller, you could rent a similar R-Pod for a day or two and tow it to see how your Subaru does.  That way you would know before making a larger purchase.  Since your car is rated for 2700 lbs and your hitch can handle it, you may still need to add air bags to the rear suspension and use a WDH/Sway control hitch to feel comfortable (at that point you are not exceeding your car's designed towing capacity).  Also look at the E-Pro/GEO-Pro 14RK - it weighs about 2000 lbs dry and has a kitchen, wet-bath and dinette.  That might be a better match for your Subaru and is still a Forest River camper (many come with Solar on top and they have some neat features that have not made it to the R-Pod series yet).

Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:47pm
Given my experience, no, the sloped front does not help enough. There is also the air that flows off the top of the tow vehicle and then piles up against the front of the trailer. That is where the air deflector helps. However, it would not be sufficient. Limiting tow speed helps. We just completed a trip of almost 6500 miles, most of which was at 60 mph or lower with rare excursions above that (mostly on downhill runs). Even so, we probably got about 11-12 mpg with our Frontier. When we hit strong headwinds, the mileage was more like 10-11 mpg, especially when combined with uphill climbs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
Oh, man!  Another fantasy dashed. I’ve been in love with Rialtas for 20 years or so – since the first time I saw one - all gray and laminate and Euro-modern looking. (I hate the generic dark wood and oak American RV look.)  The ones I was considering are at Rialta Heaven (an offshoot of Poptop Heaven, which does Eurovans). Their whole business is reconditioning and reselling these two vehicles. What comes out is as close to factory new as something that age can be.  Do you think this could be a deciding factor?  They have a rental program – you can rent one and try it out. If you like it, the rental price would be applied to the purchase. Do you think renting one for a few days to drive into Joshua Tree would be enough to sample its joys & pitfalls?  Or is the unhappiness from long-term use component failure? 

Re the “wall” of the R Pod, which was my initial concern about considering one: I was hoping that the smaller size and design of the R pod (compared with most travel trailers) would be small enough and sloped enough to not present quite a solid wall. So you don’t think that the swept-back front design would help that much? 

Argh
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:32pm
They probably put a class III [2"] receiver on your car.  I did this with my Forester but not with towing in mind; it was for a bike rack.  The hitch as all the capacity you need, it's what it's connected to that complicates the situation.  Bottom line, your Outback doesn't really have the towing capacity to safely manage an R-Pod.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:50am
 2” comes to mind, but it’s been three years since we did this. Camping World installed our hitch to tow the 2000+ lb A frame we had bought and recommended something much heavier than the bare minimum. 
Thanks for the link – lots of good info! I know there are a lot of factors involved and we don’t understand them all.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
A wind deflector such as the AeroPlus from Purpleline or the AeroShield from Icon helps, but not enough to compensate for too much frontal area. The advice above is very sound. We just returned from a trip of close to 6500 miles with our 179 (Frontier tow vehicle). You would do well if you could manage to catch a strong tailwind every time, but probability is that you will encounter head- and crosswinds which will exacerbate the frontal area problem. Check Subaru's towing guide (should be specified in your manual as I could not find anything from Subaru online except the towing limit). For that vehicle, the pop-up is the best choice. As Fred stated above, perhaps you could fit a portable toilet in for the times it is neccessary at night. Eventually, you will be able to trade tow vehicles and then it would be time to revisit the R-Pods or even something a bit larger with a walk-around bed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
Sage advice from furpod and lostagain. The weight is certainly an issue, but the much larger issue is the frontal area. While an R-pod may be light, it does have a significant wind load. Do not ignore the wind resistance.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:11am
Trish, if you are in your 70's you have plenty more time for camping.  And you are absolutely right about the 3 a.m. issue.  That's one of the reasons we went to a Pod with a functional head, especially if it's raining or worse.  With our 172, we have no frills and I have taken out as much as I have added in weight.  That version comes with bunk beds up front, one of which I removed.  We also replaced the table with one that weighs a 10th of the original.  But in the end, Furpod is right, you may be able to get the weight down to something pretty close to your car's capacity, though certainly not below, but you still have the issue of windage.  Wind resistance on a full height trailer puts a tremendous load on your drivetrain and can affect the stability of your car on the road. 

With your 3 a.m. issue, do you have room to put a porta-potty in your popup?  I used one on my first sailboat and it worked fine.  The seat section separates from the holding tank, which is about the size of a small carry-on suitcase and is easy to carry to dump in a toilet.  You can get one for about $60. 

Again, best of luck.  And please continue to post, even if you don't have a Pod.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>