Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:54pm
I can totally understand wanting to move beyond pop ups. My Coleman Sequoia took 30 minutes to set up and tear down and once closed up it was impossible to access anything inside. I got 17 mpg pulling the tent trailer with a four cylinder Tacoma and now pulling the rPod with a 4.0 V6 Tacoma I’m getting around 12. But, it’s the price to pay for towing a little house.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:48pm
You are right, I too missed the current A -Frame. I can't get scientific about it, only anecdotal. We travel often with friends who have an older (and really big!) Coleman pop-up that is 2300 lbs empty. They are towing with a smaller Nissan suv (not sure of model but not dissimilar to your Outback). They have no trouble towing it when we travel together, largely (my friend thinks) because there's very little, if any, wind resistance with the low-profile of the pop-up. I can't imagine his vehicle towing a high-profile trailer, though - there is a tremendous amount of drag with the bulk of the trailer. Before this one, we had an old-style squarish trailer - about the same weight as the 179 (maybe 100# more) and there's some difference with the rpod shape but not much. It's still a bit tall heavy box, albeit a slightly rounded one.

I'm totally with you on the ease of no pop-up. When we go camping with our friends, it takes us 5-10 minutes to fully set up and them 30 minutes +. When we're hungry we stop and go in the Pod.

Good luck on your quest! Maybe someone closeby will let you try towing their smaller pod to see how it works. My gut feel still tells me that its a mismatch; with its height and bulk, a trailer is a big thing to haul around and up hills.

Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by TrailerTrish

Ben:
My original post is getting lost in all the answers. We HAVE an A-frame (FR Flagstaff T12RB). It weighs 2000# and has two beds (the dinette is deployed full time as a bed). All I’m looking for is something the same weight - R-Pod or similar - for the bathroom. And I don’t want a pop up anymore. I want something that I can easily access if I need to duck in and grab something while we’re on the road. You have no idea what hassle it is with an A-frame to have to pop it up just to go in and get something out of the fridge.

We tow the A-Frame just fine with the Outback.  It has not been a struggle towing it up and over the Rockies and the Sierras.  We have been up through Banff and Glacier, out to the Badlands, through Denver and Salt Lake City, over the Sierras a few times, all over Nevada and up through Great Basin NP (We skipped the 10,000 foot campground this time and stayed midway up, not because of the trailer, but because of my AFib-breathing problems.) We do not have a problem towing it.  I wheeze; it doesn’t. 

The smaller, older R pods fit the bill. 2000#, the same bed + dinette that we have now, and a mini bathroom. Your 179 is 800 pounds heavier, so it’s really apples and oranges. Our 2000# works just fine for our car, and my original question was just about the wind-loading issue of pulling a shorter popup profile vs moving up to a full height, all other things being equal.

Trish

See Cannot's post above with the video and spreadsheet. I already remarked on the wind resistance. Your desire for a full-height trailer is good, but in all reality, your Outback is not up to the task. You have two choices: Stay with the A frame and tow with the Outback or purchase something more appropriate to your vehicle. There is the T@B S model which would be a full-height small trailer with a toilet. Looking online at the T@B M@x model shows a dry weight of 1670 lbs and a tongue weight of 155 lbs. There is also the Happier Camper with its modular interior and with a base dry weight of 1100 lbs. Either of these would be more appropriate for your vehicle than any of the current R-Pod models.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
But.. she needs separate sleeping areas.. I was going to suggest a T@B also, I know they tow easy, belong to a T@B group and go to the occasional rally still..
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by TrailerTrish

Ben:
My original post is getting lost in all the answers. We HAVE an A-frame (FR Flagstaff T12RB). It weighs 2000# and has two beds (the dinette is deployed full time as a bed). All I’m looking for is something the same weight - R-Pod or similar - for the bathroom. And I don’t want a pop up anymore. I want something that I can easily access if I need to duck in and grab something while we’re on the road. You have no idea what hassle it is with an A-frame to have to pop it up just to go in and get something out of the fridge.

We tow the A-Frame just fine with the Outback.  It has not been a struggle towing it up and over the Rockies and the Sierras.  We have been up through Banff and Glacier, out to the Badlands, through Denver and Salt Lake City, over the Sierras a few times, all over Nevada and up through Great Basin NP (We skipped the 10,000 foot campground this time and stayed midway up, not because of the trailer, but because of my AFib-breathing problems.) We do not have a problem towing it.  I wheeze; it doesn’t. 

The smaller, older R pods fit the bill. 2000#, the same bed + dinette that we have now, and a mini bathroom. Your 179 is 800 pounds heavier, so it’s really apples and oranges. Our 2000# works just fine for our car, and my original question was just about the wind-loading issue of pulling a shorter popup profile vs moving up to a full height, all other things being equal.

Trish

See Cannot's post above with the video and spreadsheet. I already remarked on the wind resistance. Your desire for a full-height trailer is good, but in all reality, your Outback is not up to the task. You have two choices: Stay with the A frame and tow with the Outback or purchase something more appropriate to your vehicle. There is the T@B S model which would be a full-height small trailer with a toilet. Looking online at the T@B M@x model shows a dry weight of 1670 lbs and a tongue weight of 155 lbs. There is also the Happier Camper with its modular interior and with a base dry weight of 1100 lbs. Either of these would be more appropriate for your vehicle than any of the current R-Pod models.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:37am
Ben:

Trish
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:58pm
I think that you're asking for more from the Subaru than is feasible. If you want to camp, then it seems to me that you have two options - tent or lightweight pop-up tent trailer (some of them are really nice!). A-Frame won't cut it if you need two beds. R-Pods are too heavy for small suvs. We tow our 179 with a Honda Ridgeline V6 and its not really enough tow capacity. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
The E-Pro has the same weight and wind loading issues as the RPods, doesn’t it? And we need 2 sleeping areas. Otherwise we’d keep each other awake all night. But I LOVE the modern interior!
Cannot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:53pm
The link below is very informative. Download the spreadsheet and put all the numbers in so you know what you can really tow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:39pm
Did you take a look at the E-Pro 14RK I posted a link to above - it appears to hit all of your wants and would be towable by your Outback and would have more space than your A-Frame?  

There is a place in PA that sells them for about $15K loaded with every available option - they are very similar to the R-POD in many ways, - the one I was looking at weighs 2087lbs dry.  Definitely in the range for your Outback to handle nicely (I think fully-loaded it is 2900 lbs max assuming you fill the water tanks).
Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm
I appreciate everybody’s ideas about getting a different TV, but it just ain’t gonna happen. My husband had a perfectly fine six-cylinder Ranger - it was a nice, not uncomfortable, practical country vehicle And it served us well when we lived in the boonies and had a house with all of the projects that that entails. It was fine as trucks go, but it just wasn’t comfortable for road trips. I considered pairing it with a small camper on top or a Scamp fifth wheel, but neither of us wanted anything that spartan for doing any serious driving. For some people, it would’ve been fine, but we wanted real comfort combined with decent gas mileage. We had left the country and moved into a suburban condo and no longer had house projects.The Outback was a great compromise between utility and comfort. We decided to splurge, and we got the first and last car we will ever own with every conceivable option package: leather, remote keyless entry, navigation system, Eye-Sight. Etc. It was a $40,000 car, and we tend to be $20-25,000 car owners. It was a huge splurge, we love it, we’re still making payments on it, and there’s no way we would consider leaving that at home and taking something else on the road. Just ain’t gonna happen. You have to understand, too, that it’s me who wants to do this upgrade, not my husband. He’s happy with the A-frame.   He understands my issues, but I think he’d rather quit doing it all together. The whole camping thing was all my idea in the first place. He wanted to stay in Holiday Inns when we travel. I finally successfully argued the case that every Holiday inn looks like every other one, so when you wake up in the morning you have no idea what state you’re even in. He enjoys the camping, but he’s never dreamed of an RV. I’ve wanted one on my life. I get giddy around RV lots and shows. He turns his nose up.

So if not an R pod or etc, then I am also looking at A-frame mods – there are a lot of ideas on YouTube and Pinterest.

Thanks for all the ideas, but getting a different TV is just not one that’s going to fly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>