This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by TrailerTrish

Thanks for the tip!  What sort of mileage do you get? With and without towing? 

I like Toyotas, it’s just that I didn’t think they would lose their value the way Jeeps and the others mentioned do. But it’s a good point that they are better cars (IMHO), and I could probably comfortably look for an even older Toyota. (NB: I don’t want to start a war here because every car brand has had its dogs, and every car brand has had its stars. It’s just that certain manufacturers have more dogs and some have more stars.)

Not sure how much of a workout it would get anymore, though. We’re in our 70s and winding down. I think the biggest trip would probably be from the Bay Area to Big Bend National Park and around the southwest.  But once I get it fixed up, who knows? I can’t tell you how excited I am to have something with a bathroom after three years with an A Frame. :-))
We have owned 4 different Toyota pickups over the years. Never had a single problem with any of them. If you're looking for a reliable tow vehicle, IMO you can hardly do better.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:52pm
Trish - we ended up with a tow vehicle that I never would have expected - an older Lexus GX470 SUV. Bought a 2003 that was in near-mint showroom condition with 170K miles for just over $10,000. Its basically a rebadged Land Cruiser Prad - v8 engine, super-comfortable. This engine/drive train is known to be Toyota's best, we expect to have it as a TV for the next 10 yrs. May not push your buttons but after lots of research we found that it was our best choice. 
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 1:07pm
Hi, Ben!
Wow, 170k! My comfort level says to keep it under 100k for a used car. But that’s less based on the engine wear than on the electronics. We had a horrible experience once with a Nissan Altima with about 80k. Was running great, but the electronics were getting wonky and the first time it happened was when we stopped to get gas in the middle of nowhere. My husband left the keys in the ignition when he stepped out to pump, and I left my purse in the car when I got out to go into the bathroom. The blasted thing locked its own doors, and both his key and mine were locked inside!  We had to wait forever for a rural tow truck to come and fidget the door open.  So I tend to equate age/mileage with wonky electronics. That’s probably not fair as a blanket policy, but once burned twice shy.  Ever since, if I leave my purse in my car to step out to pump, I always open the window before I shut the door! Always. 

Still, that was ~15 years ago, 1998 Altima. Electronics have progressed.  I’ll keep senior Lexus SUVs in mind. Have never thought of anything that luxe, but it certainly appeals. :)
2009 R-Pod 173 “OurPod”
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5L (for now)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 1:17pm
As a note.. the Toyota Land Cruiser, and it's Lexus twin, are, honestly, the best SUV's on the planet.

I have spent some time in a couple parts of the world where, if your vehicle goes down, there is a good chance you may die. Literally.

No Suburbans. No Broncos. No Blazers. No Explorers. No Pathfinders, Cayennes, Jeeps, Discoveries, etc etc.. almost 100% Land Cruisers. Age almost doesn't matter with them. The running gear has a long and storied history, many reaching 300K, with never even having the valve covers removed.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 2:41pm
You know what the say in Oz:  if you want to go to the Outback take a Land Rover. If you want to come back...take a Land Cruiser.

Coincidentally I also own a 1994 Land Cruiser with only about 130,000 on the clock. They are built like for the end of the world, but not built to make work on them easy, or for efficiency. We call ours the Land Bruiser.  It's for sale btw if there are any interested parties out there. Just way more truck than I need anymore....and to be honest the ride is a whole lot better in the Highlander.

I get about 14 mpg towing my rPod with the Highlander (level ground, no wind, 62-ish mph). But I don't think that that number is going to be much different with any modern vehicle with an efficient drivetrain you choose, wind drag from the trailer dominates the hp requirements while towing, so there's really no changing it. By modern vehicle I don't mean something like the LC, that gets about 10-11 towing, but its got an old, bulletproof engine design and a massive drivetrain and frame not meant for efficiency. 

I'd recommend that you get the vehicle you want, and if that means getting something a couple years older that's fine, just get something with low miles on the clock.  In the first 15 years or so of ts the miles on the odo that matter more. If you're over 20 years or thereabouts then things start having to be renewed because rubber and plastic become brittle even if the vehicle hasn't been driven much, and corrosion starts to get into things. All of the maintenance on my LC has been of that nature: a bad fuel injector because the electrical connector lost its seal, a cracked plastic header tank on the radiator, that sort of thing. Nothing that strands you in the middle of nowhere though.

BTW, I did remove the valve cover on the LC when I got into the injectors, I needed a new valve cover gasket, the old one got dried out and was leaking pretty good Tongue.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by furpod

No Suburbans. No Broncos. No Blazers. No Explorers. No Pathfinders, Cayennes, Jeeps, Discoveries, etc etc.. almost 100% Land Cruisers. Age almost doesn't matter with them. The running gear has a long and storied history, many reaching 300K, with never even having the valve covers removed.

Sounds like my '94 F-150 with 320,000 + miles.  My question is how would those vehicles hold up to 31 deer kills and even more 'hit and runs' to numerous to count?LOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by jato

Sounds like my '94 F-150 with 320,000 + miles.  My question is how would those vehicles hold up to 31 deer kills and even more 'hit and runs' to numerous to count?LOL

Many of them have hit camels and goats in pretty high numbers.. deer are rare in that part of the world... Oh, and the occasional land mine..
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 6:46pm
LCs!? Very well jato. LC's are massively overbuilt. Have you ever looked at one? I had a 20 ft 8x12 beam that had originally been holding up my house fall 10 feet onto mine (long story), got a very small fender dent, barely visible. There is a reason the rest of the world swears by them. There are some really bad roads in Africa and Latin America.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 7:09pm

As a note.. the Toyota Land Cruiser, and it's Lexus twin, are, honestly, the best SUV's on the planet.

I have spent some time in a couple parts of the world where, if your vehicle goes down, there is a good chance you may die. Literally.

Truth to that - while the one I bought had been well-maintained (from the records, the prior owner was somewhat anal-retentive; he replaced stuff that really didnt need replacing), the spark plugs were still the original set (15 yrs old!). My mechanic said they still looked semi-reasonable considering their age. I replaced them of course. Amazingly well-built vehicles and a very comfortable ride. I'm sure some electronic stuff will go in the next 5-10 yrs but with what I have invested in it, that's ok if I have to spend a few $,000 to keep it rolling for another 100k miles. Driving it, it still feels like a new vehicle. Now if I only kept my collection of cassette tapes.....
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 12:32am
Originally posted by offgrid

TrailerTrish, do you have a weight distribution hitch? Highly recommended if not essential towing an rPod with a lighter tow vehicle. I wouldn't leave home without mine towing with my Highlander. 

We don’t and I’m not exactly sure what they are -  or perhaps I should say how they work. I looked them up, so I know what they look like now. Is it something that stays attached?  If so, can we attach it, or would we take it to an RV service place for installation? Or is it something you put on every time? I couldn’t quite tell from the pictures. 
2009 R-Pod 173 “OurPod”
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5L (for now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>