This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:32pm
They probably put a class III [2"] receiver on your car.  I did this with my Forester but not with towing in mind; it was for a bike rack.  The hitch as all the capacity you need, it's what it's connected to that complicates the situation.  Bottom line, your Outback doesn't really have the towing capacity to safely manage an R-Pod.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
Oh, man!  Another fantasy dashed. I’ve been in love with Rialtas for 20 years or so – since the first time I saw one - all gray and laminate and Euro-modern looking. (I hate the generic dark wood and oak American RV look.)  The ones I was considering are at Rialta Heaven (an offshoot of Poptop Heaven, which does Eurovans). Their whole business is reconditioning and reselling these two vehicles. What comes out is as close to factory new as something that age can be.  Do you think this could be a deciding factor?  They have a rental program – you can rent one and try it out. If you like it, the rental price would be applied to the purchase. Do you think renting one for a few days to drive into Joshua Tree would be enough to sample its joys & pitfalls?  Or is the unhappiness from long-term use component failure? 

Re the “wall” of the R Pod, which was my initial concern about considering one: I was hoping that the smaller size and design of the R pod (compared with most travel trailers) would be small enough and sloped enough to not present quite a solid wall. So you don’t think that the swept-back front design would help that much? 

Argh
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:47pm
Given my experience, no, the sloped front does not help enough. There is also the air that flows off the top of the tow vehicle and then piles up against the front of the trailer. That is where the air deflector helps. However, it would not be sufficient. Limiting tow speed helps. We just completed a trip of almost 6500 miles, most of which was at 60 mph or lower with rare excursions above that (mostly on downhill runs). Even so, we probably got about 11-12 mpg with our Frontier. When we hit strong headwinds, the mileage was more like 10-11 mpg, especially when combined with uphill climbs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:42pm
For the OP - Look on Outdorsy or some other web site that rents campers (many R-Pods are for rent by owners on these sites.)  If your Subaru has the correct hitch and brake controller, you could rent a similar R-Pod for a day or two and tow it to see how your Subaru does.  That way you would know before making a larger purchase.  Since your car is rated for 2700 lbs and your hitch can handle it, you may still need to add air bags to the rear suspension and use a WDH/Sway control hitch to feel comfortable (at that point you are not exceeding your car's designed towing capacity).  Also look at the E-Pro/GEO-Pro 14RK - it weighs about 2000 lbs dry and has a kitchen, wet-bath and dinette.  That might be a better match for your Subaru and is still a Forest River camper (many come with Solar on top and they have some neat features that have not made it to the R-Pod series yet).

Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
Where is Bernouilli when you need him? Maybe if I put a wing on top of the Outback I can get some lift off of it to compensate for the drag. Hah!

Ouch! 10-11 mpg. That’s sort of negates the point of a small trailer to me. I was interested in a Born Free Built For Two, but they are built on a Ford F350 chassis and I just found out that they only get about 10 to 11. Ugh. As it is, towing our A-frame drops our mpg from 30+ for the Outback on the freeway (not towing) to about 17. That’s about as low as I think I can stand to go.

I fell in love with the Scamps in the mid-‘70s. They were pitching them to the drivers of small compact cars. I’m a 4-cylinder subcompact girl, so that always appealed to me. Our daily driver is a little Honda Fit and the Outback is mostly for road trips.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm

10-12 mpg is the norm, regardless of tow vehicle - with a normally aspirated gasoline engine. In spite of it's rounded shape, the Pod doesn't tow any differently than anybody else's 18-20' travel trailer. I know this from experience, as do some others, here on the forum.

Think of gasoline as "liquid energy". We pull the equivalent of a mini-barn down the road. It just takes a certain amount of engine power and "liquid energy" to accomplish this.

I'd love to see you in a Pod and happy. I'm doubtful you would be happy with the present tow vehicle. I'd not want to see you spend five figures $$$$$ to find out it ain't going to work. At our ages, who wants this kind of problem? (I'm younger but, retired)

I kind of like one member's solution (lostagain?) of buying a used Pod and a good used tow vehicle.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm
I appreciate everybody’s ideas about getting a different TV, but it just ain’t gonna happen. My husband had a perfectly fine six-cylinder Ranger - it was a nice, not uncomfortable, practical country vehicle And it served us well when we lived in the boonies and had a house with all of the projects that that entails. It was fine as trucks go, but it just wasn’t comfortable for road trips. I considered pairing it with a small camper on top or a Scamp fifth wheel, but neither of us wanted anything that spartan for doing any serious driving. For some people, it would’ve been fine, but we wanted real comfort combined with decent gas mileage. We had left the country and moved into a suburban condo and no longer had house projects.The Outback was a great compromise between utility and comfort. We decided to splurge, and we got the first and last car we will ever own with every conceivable option package: leather, remote keyless entry, navigation system, Eye-Sight. Etc. It was a $40,000 car, and we tend to be $20-25,000 car owners. It was a huge splurge, we love it, we’re still making payments on it, and there’s no way we would consider leaving that at home and taking something else on the road. Just ain’t gonna happen. You have to understand, too, that it’s me who wants to do this upgrade, not my husband. He’s happy with the A-frame.   He understands my issues, but I think he’d rather quit doing it all together. The whole camping thing was all my idea in the first place. He wanted to stay in Holiday Inns when we travel. I finally successfully argued the case that every Holiday inn looks like every other one, so when you wake up in the morning you have no idea what state you’re even in. He enjoys the camping, but he’s never dreamed of an RV. I’ve wanted one on my life. I get giddy around RV lots and shows. He turns his nose up.

So if not an R pod or etc, then I am also looking at A-frame mods – there are a lot of ideas on YouTube and Pinterest.

Thanks for all the ideas, but getting a different TV is just not one that’s going to fly.
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:39pm
Did you take a look at the E-Pro 14RK I posted a link to above - it appears to hit all of your wants and would be towable by your Outback and would have more space than your A-Frame?  

There is a place in PA that sells them for about $15K loaded with every available option - they are very similar to the R-POD in many ways, - the one I was looking at weighs 2087lbs dry.  Definitely in the range for your Outback to handle nicely (I think fully-loaded it is 2900 lbs max assuming you fill the water tanks).
Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
Cannot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:53pm
The link below is very informative. Download the spreadsheet and put all the numbers in so you know what you can really tow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
The E-Pro has the same weight and wind loading issues as the RPods, doesn’t it? And we need 2 sleeping areas. Otherwise we’d keep each other awake all night. But I LOVE the modern interior!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>