This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
It’s a different attitude. Here are some of the trailers that have been tested and towed behind compact diesels in the UK:

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 3:54pm
Diesel fumes give me migraines, so only gasoline-fueled TVs for me.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 5:17pm
They certainly stink! I haven’t spent that much time around them. Here in the SF area, Prius and related electric and hybrids are the cars of choice. 
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by TrailerTrish

They certainly stink! I haven’t spent that much time around them. Here in the SF area, Prius and related electric and hybrids are the cars of choice. 

Not always so, my VW has no discernible diesel odor. Amazing vehicle, best I've ever owned. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 5:37pm
Really?! 

I guess I am probably thinking about the old Mercedes diesels of my youth. We had a neighbor with one – it was circa 1962 - and you could smell it going down the block. 

Maybe I’ll consider one for our next car...

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 5:39pm
Well I didn't think we could go any farther. 9 pages later we are now discussing the benefits of owning a VW. Has nothing to do with towing a Pod with anything. Maybe we need private chat rooms.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by TrailerTrish

Really?! 

I guess I am probably thinking about the old Mercedes diesels of my youth. We had a neighbor with one – it was circa 1962 - and you could smell it going down the block. 

Maybe I’ll consider one for our next car...
Newer diesel vehicles will change your mind about the noise & smell. That said, I think the days are numbered for diesel vehicles in general. There are some pollutants that are just really, really difficult to remove. There are even rumblings of phasing them out in Europe where they have been quite popular for decades now.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:35pm

Ok, folks. I took all of your comments to heart and decided to see what sort of ~3yr old 6-cylinder tow vehicle we could get for under $15,000. Turns out, quite a few. Not everything holds their value like the Outbacks. I’ve looked at a few Ford Escapes, Jeeps, Ford Flex, etc. None of them strikes me as a particularly great car (a Consumer Report comment on the Jeep model year I was looking at referred to it as the “last of the Chrysler bad old days“), but it would be a third car, strictly a towing car, not something to replace my husband’s beloved Outback. As long as it doesn’t look like it will leave us stranded in the middle of nowhere, has a few basic creature comforts, Bluetooth, recent vintage safety features and a back up camera, unloaded hwy MPG of mid-20s, I’m considering it. And I’m perfectly open to a private party car with a few dings on it. If anyone has a favorite SUV (no pickups) within these parameters, I’d love to know about it. (Ben Herman once mentioned a VW Routon, and they appear to be a rebadged Chrysler Town and Country van. That might be a good used choice.)

But having said that, the R-Pod 173 I’ve had my eye on for months had been going through some price drops on the dealer website. I was concerned that at a certain price point, someone else would swoop in and buy it, So I decided to make an offer, tow vehicle or not. We are in the Bay Area, it was in Phoenix, and it was enough under the max tow limit of our vehicle that I decided that would be OK bringing it back with the Outback. The highest point was probably the Tehachapi Mtns at around 4000 feet. 

We did surprisingly well – after we dumped 300 pounds of water - the RV lot had sent us out with a full tank of water!  It was driving like a slug when I realize what the problem was and did some quick math - 36 gal x 8.3 = “ackk!!”.  I do think the Outback is marginal, but I never thought that it was unsafe. We had a reasonable amount of pickup – not noticeably less then when we pull the pop-up.  We didn’t have to deal with big grades and we didn’t have any heavy winds, so I can see that those would perhaps make the Outback less than desirable. But for this trip, it went just fine. 

So it’s currently parked right outside our condo and I’m hard at work redoing the interior. But that’s for a different thread. This one is about towing and I’m still looking for a good solid vehicle... 

But I wanted to let you know that we are now the owners of a 2009 R-Pod 173 and I wanted to thank you for all of your insights and info for the uneducated.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 2:52am
Congratulations on your new acquisition. 

I went through pretty much the same tow vehicle search earlier this year, didn't want a pickup either.  I ended up with a 2012 Toyota Highlander with 80k miles on it, 4wd, 3.5 liter V6, tow package and receiver hitch. 5000lb tow rating.  All I had to do was add a brake controller. Mid level interior (leather and heated seats but no fancy stereo or nav system). Paid $16K for it. So, not quite in your <15K < 4 years old criteria but close.

And not to start a war on the subject but,... its a Toyota. I like Toyotas, never had one break on me in well over a million miles of driving various ones over the past 35 years. Can't say the same about the other brands you mentioned. And while this might be a third car for you, its probably going to get harder use than the others, and if it does break could strand you in more remote places.

Just my $0.02.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 11:39am
 Thanks for the tip!  What sort of mileage do you get? With and without towing? 

I like Toyotas, it’s just that I didn’t think they would lose their value the way Jeeps and the others mentioned do. But it’s a good point that they are better cars (IMHO), and I could probably comfortably look for an even older Toyota. (NB: I don’t want to start a war here because every car brand has had its dogs, and every car brand has had its stars. It’s just that certain manufacturers have more dogs and some have more stars.)

Not sure how much of a workout it would get anymore, though. We’re in our 70s and winding down. I think the biggest trip would probably be from the Bay Area to Big Bend National Park and around the southwest.  But once I get it fixed up, who knows? I can’t tell you how excited I am to have something with a bathroom after three years with an A Frame. :-))
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>