This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:07pm
Hi, I’m considering buying an RPod – one of the smaller ones. Of interest is a 2009 173 (2000 lbs). We’re currently towing a 12’ FR Flagstaff A frame, also 2000 lb, but, of course, a much lower profile when folded. We have a 2015 4-cyl Subaru Outback, rated to tow 2700 lbs. We’ve had the A-frame for three years and have towed it over the Canadian Rockies, the Colorado Rockies, and the Sierras without any problems. We throttle back so we aren’t gobbling gas, but we still have plenty of pickup if needed.
We probably spend 3-4 weeks a year camping, so the rest of the year we didn’t want to have to be driving around in a gas guzzling 6-cylinder and are happy with the arrangement so far. But now I want something with a potty. Our needs are simple, I don’t need a powerhouse or a rolling mansion, just 2 separate sleeping areas and a potty.

Do you think the lighter RPods could work? We have elec brake controller and am told we’d need an anti-sway bar. ..
TIA
Trish
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:29pm
Interesting you bring up the 173 as that was the first pod we ever saw at Fort Wilkens State Park at the tip of the Upper Peninsula, Michigan back in October 2010.  It was towed by a Subaru Outback as well.  I remember they told us that the Subaru was fine on flat or gentle rolling hills but they were disappointed crossing over the Appalachians when they went to Smokey Mountains; lacked power and could barely make it over some of the passes except at very slow speeds.  We have towed our 177 (2400 lbs because of no A/C, no entertainment system, no microwave/convection oven) with an '08 and '13 Explorer (both 6 cylinders) and while it has the power we have noted that over some of the higher climbs in the Rockies, it is really laboring hard).  So . . .  if you were just going to flatland it, probably be ok but seeing where you have been and you would probably repeat your travels over similar terrain, I think you would be sorely disappointed. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:37pm
It sounds possible.  You might want to check what that 2000 lbs includes.  It might not be much trouble at all to get to 2500 lbs going down the road.  You are right; the high profile of the Pod really slows it down and kills gas mileage.

That said, a lot of people tow with vehicles rated at 3500 lbs.  I've never towed with less than a 5000 lb rated truck.   I have a 176 and I wouldn't relish towing with anything less than a 5000 lb vehicle.  Some people like to say no one ever complains about having too much towing capacity.

See what other people say.  My opinion: try it if you're open to the idea of finding a heavier duty TV, maybe not otherwise.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:02pm
I towed my ‘89 Coleman Sequoia pop up tent trailer with a 2002 Tacoma with a 2.4 liter four cylinder.
The Coleman weighed 1,200 lbs dry and probably 1,500 lbs wet. It had no fridge, AC, furnace, bathroom, or other heavy extras. The Tacoma had a 3,500 lb towing rating so I felt it would be fine. On flat ground it was OK but hills / mountain passes was another story! There is a really steep portion of highway 12 in Utah, out of Bryce Canyon going into the mountains. I barely made it over the pass! It was not fun. I can’t imagine pulling a travel trailer that had a high front end with a low powered tow vehicle.
At least the tent trailer was low and wasn’t affected by wind. I would not recommend towing much with a four cylinder.
My V6 Tacoma PreRunner is so much better at towing (with a 6,400 lb towing capacity.)
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:46pm
We owned a 173 for over 6 years. It was a great trailer and we loved it. We did a lot of mods and spent many multi-week trips in it. We probably put about 30,000 miles on it.
I can tell you from experience that a loaded 173 will weigh more than 2000 pounds. We stopped by the local county dump and weighed our rig before every trip. The 173 weighed 3300 fully loaded with all of our clothes, , food , 2 bikes and nothing in the 3 tanks. We don’t go extrA heavy, but we were going out for 3 months.
The point- don’t even think that a 173 will weigh less than 2500 in my opinion. That figure doesn’t include batteries, propane, a/c, m/w and empty tanks. You will easily add 500 pounds or so of pots and pans, clothes, food, drinks, tous, etc.
We pulled it with a Chevy Astro van and it was acceptable, but not much extra power, brakes or transmission. We traded for a larger tow vehicle.
Check your numbers carefully. The safety of everyone is involved.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:26pm
You should check what the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is on your 173. I'm betting it is "close" to your 2700 lb tow limit on your Outback. If the GVWR is more than ~~ 2500 lbs, you are in the red zone with the capabilities of your Outback. It might be able to do it, but it probably won't be a lot of fun. I'd be looking for a TV that had at least 3500 lb capability, or better still around 5000 lb.

Like others have said, I've never heard anyone complain about having too much power.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 5:13am

When I purchased my 2010 RP173, I had a 2008 GMC Canyon pickup truck with a 4 cyl. engine, rated to tow 3200lbs. I speak from experience.

I would NOT recommend it........unless I hated you! However, I don't think I hate you, since I don't know you.   

It's not the weight that kills you. It is more the wind resistance of the high profile trailer. It's OK up to about 40mph. Above that begins to exceed the capabilities of the vehicle. If any amount of headwind or incline is encountered, the situation worsens.

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:26am
This is from a previous forum member, but I feel it's both helpful and relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrpI01yegm8

I'm told, add about 800 pounds to a trailer for contents, my 171 with 4500 # towing capacity is comfortable towing, but even 3500 is very 'iffy'.  

C'mon - ?Gas guzzling 6 cylinder!? Just wait 'til you see your gas mileage when going up one of the western mountains with ANYTHING.
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:27am
We tow a 2009 172 that is comparable to what you propose to tow. Recently we drove from northern Nevada to Sedona AZ, and on to CO. We were loaded a little heavier than usual since we were packed for a 2 week trip. There was more than one grade in that trip where we were we had to drop down into 2nd lowest gear and were working to hold a speed of 30, and that was with a 4.7L V-8.    

I used to own a Subaru Forester, same motor as the Outback but a little lighter, so I have an idea of the capacity of the Subie. Quite frankly, I don't think you could travel between Flagstaff and Phoenix without overheating and damaging your engine and/or transmission. Your wet weight (you and all your stuff) in a 173 will exceed the rated towing capacity of your car. A WDH would help balance the load, but the drivetrain of your car will be beyond it's capacity. You might be able to pull the trailer in flat places like Kansas, but once you have to deal with anything beyond a 2 or 3% grade you're likely to do serious harm to your car that could result in repair costs exceeding the value of your car.

I notice you are from the SF Bay area.  A suggestion to consider before you buy the trailer: Hook it to your car and fill the fresh water tank and add some more weight to simulate a camping trip, then drive to the Mission District of San Francisco. Go to 21st street and Church St. and try to drive up the hill to Sanchez St.  If your car can comfortably pull the trailer up that hill, then maybe you'll do ok. A word of caution though:  Drive on that hill first with just your car.  Once you do, I don't think you'd attempt it with a travel trailer.

Given the amount of camping that you mentioned and that fact that you don't seem to want to invest in a tow vehicle or own two vehicles, you may want to consider renting.  You can rent a really nice Cruise America class C RV and, on a cost per night basis, be far better off than you'd be buying a trailer that your car cannot safely pull. 

Be cautious in considering the suggestions of people who don't live in or haven't traveled extensively west of the Great Plains.  Though they are genuinely trying to be helpful, many don't realize how steep and high our mountains are.  The mountains in the east are what we in the west consider "foothills" and do not qualify as "mountains."  Even the Blue Ridge Mountains are not much more than our California coastal hills.  It's common to encounter 7,000 foot passes out west [think driving to Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area] with long steep, curving roads.  Those climbs are hard on vehicles towing well within their weight limit and are disastrous for a car that is pulling more than it's engine and transmission can handle. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you try to tow a 173 with your Subaru you will not be happy.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:36am
Used to own a first generation Forester, great little rig for lots of things.. Towing isn't one of them.. Certainly not towing a Pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>