R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSetting up E2 WD hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up E2 WD hitch
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:03pm
Hi gang,

I'm towing an R-Pod 180 with a Tacoma Off-Road with tow package. I picked up a WD hitch because the trailer weighs more than half the weight of the truck.

Installing the E2 over the weekend, I found a nice flat spot in a Tractor Supply parking lot (figured if I needed a tool or something I was in the right place). Installed the hitch ball in the E2, and step 1 of the instructions said to measure from the ground to the fender at the front axle with nothing attached to the truck, this was 35 inches. Then it said to lower the trailer onto the hitch without using the WD bars and measure how much the front of the truck raised up. Well apparently the Tacoma Off-Road has magic suspension, because even though the rear end definitely squatted down significantly, the front stayed at exactly 35 inches.

The problem is that EVERYTHING in the setup from that point forward is geared towards getting the front end about halfway back to the original measurement (or thereabouts). But since the front end didn't move, basically ANY combination of washers and L-bracket height results in the same measurement at the front. The instructions offer no help for this situation.

The "starting point" of 6 washers and the middle position of the L-brackets was so out of whack that I couldn't even get the pry bar under the spring arm and up on the L-bracket. So basically my setup strategy was, I removed enough washers and lowered the L-bracket enough that when I lifted the back of the Tacoma with the tongue jack, I could pry the spring arms onto the L-brackets. Then I lowered the tongue jack to tension the spring bars.

This didn't seem very scientific to me, and my guess is that I'm over-distributed, but there's no way for me to tell because the front suspension never moves from 35 inches. I called E2 and a very nice gentleman basically told me everything sounds fine as long as I'm not lifting the back of the truck more than an inch or so with the tongue jack (which I definitely am).

I'm going to play around with it some more when I get home from work today, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has set up a similar vehicle and had similar issues?

Thanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:10pm
If the front of the truck is not moving, then the rear must be moving. I would try to go for "level". Measure the angle of the box rails on you Tacoma, and see if you can adjust to where they are MOL level.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
IronStinky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
Yeah I think that's what I was going to try today, since I can't move the front down, I might as well try to get some of the squat out of the back. Probably still a bit arbitrary but I guess it's not rocket science. One nice thing is when I got done, the trailer sat perfectly level front to back.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:42pm
Be very careful using the pry bar that comes with the E2.  When you release the bars under pressure, there is quite a bit of energy in them and if they hit your leg, you could really do some damage.  You should be able to raise the trailer and rear of the TV enough with the trailer jack to free the bars and they'll come out effortlessly.  Personally, I'd throw the bar away if i hadn't repurposed it.  It's an accident waiting to happen.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Be very careful using the pry bar that comes with the E2.  When you release the bars under pressure, there is quite a bit of energy in them and if they hit your leg, you could really do some damage.  You should be able to raise the trailer and rear of the TV enough with the trailer jack to free the bars and they'll come out effortlessly.  Personally, I'd throw the bar away if i hadn't repurposed it.  It's an accident waiting to happen.

+1 on this. There is tremendous energy stored in the spring bars and releasing it can really damage you. I would never use the tool to release the bars. Use the tongue jack to free the bars so you can remove them without any tool. The tool may be useful to engage the bars but I wouldn't. If you can't see  movement on the front then try for correcting about half the rear sag. If you have to jack the rear way up to engage you're over correcting. It's one of those "I can't describe it but I'll know it when I do it" things. The Tacoma easily tows a pod but it can benefit from some WD, especially to smooth out porpoising over bumps and dips.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
IronStinky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:53pm
I don't even see how I would use the pry bar to remove the spring bars, I only used it to get them on. When I was unhooking, I did like you guys said and raised the tongue jack and rear of the TV to the point where I could pop them off easily by hand. The amount I have to raise the tongue and rear of the truck so that I can remove the spring bars easily is what concerns me, I really feel like I'm stressing the motor in the tongue jack.
ZuBrew View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:56pm
Iron, I have a very similar setup and I'm in Macedon very close to you.  I have a 2008 Tacoma Off-Road, RP189 and the E2 WDH.  It tows great with my setup. I agree with Lostagain & CharlieM, just try and get the rear mostly level and watch out for those bars when they're under stress.  They'll take your leg off.
If you want help, let me know.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:13pm
I just had my new Equalizer 600/6000 WDH installed on my 2011 Tacoma PreRunner with TRD Off Road package and my new 2018 rPod 180. The hitch shop just finished the install and it looks like the back of the truck is now level, whereas before it dropped one inch with the standard ball hitch. The trailer site level, though it did before. It will be interesting to see how it rides now and if the WDH corrects the bouncing on the freeway. I thought it was interesting that when they weighed the tongue (wet) it clocked inat 540 lbs!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:25pm
Seems like the tongue weight is always heavier than people expect.The truck and trailer will now "move as a unit". You will feel it, but it will be much less asynchronous movement between the trailer and TV.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:54pm
Good, because before it felt like the trailer was moving the rear of the truck from side to side. Not to mention the boy fit on the freeway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>