R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOctane grade for towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Octane grade for towing
    Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:29pm
I think Dr. Science is stuck on the 7th page of 4 CYL Towing Thoughts, so much to do, so little time.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:42pm
I asked the question on the f150 forum. Many good Reply’s here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/3-5-eco-premium-while-towing-419443/index2/
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 7:25am
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:09am
Yeah, really, Fred.🤓
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:48pm
There is a very thorough explanation of octane in a YouTube video by John Cadogan of AutoExpert.com.au.  It is very informative as well as entertaining for it's irreverence.  Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlk9C1o0nk  but,

VIEWER WARNING - Mr. Cadogan is from Australia and does not share views about certain popular (or not so popular, depending on your political perspective) figures in the USA.  Someone with a more conservative orientation may have hurt feelings or be offended.  So, if you may be offended DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:33pm
That was a pretty funny video lostagain. BUT, it was mostly just a dissertation of the guy's opinions.

Here is another video that does more than just spout an opinion or two. It does show pretty convincingly that the octane rating will make a difference... DEPENDING on the engine. Pedestrian engines designed to run on lower octane fuel see no advantage. Higher performance engines (High compression and/or turbo or super charging) can see significant advantages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:08pm
Great observation - depending upon the engine. I guess I need to spend more time watching foreign websites. I gave that up with Godzilla movies.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:56pm
Glue, yes, there was a lot of editorializing in Mr. Cadagon's video about the oil company marketers, but I got from his comments, that high compression ration vehicles did perform better on higher octane.  What I heard, was use the octane that your manufacturer recommends, which with high compression and turbo motors means high octane.  But my old Dodge 4.7L is happy as a clam on 87 and won't really benefit from the costly gas.

What has me confused is when you go to the other side of Nowhere, in exotic places like UT and western CO you see octane ratings in the 84 and 85 range as the basic regular and 87 is a premium level.  I understand that altitude affects the octane rating but I live at the same basic altitude, and we only see 87.  So when I'm in UT do I need 85 or 87?  Beats me.  I put in 87 in the last place I gassed up in UT on US50 and when I got to civilization in just inside NV, near Baker, 87 was once again the "regular" gas.  WTF, did I get bamboozled once again by Phillips 66?  There was absolutely no discernible difference in the power and my mileage sucked because of a horrible headwind all afternoon crossing UT.  Once in civilization in NV it was like unicorns were pulling my truck in the morning sun.Thumbs Up
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:51am
Originally posted by TheBum

I agree that it greatly depends on the vehicle and engine. For our V6 Highlander, Toyota is pretty adamant in the user manual about not running high octane gas in it. I don't think the engine is built for the increased energy.

There is no more energy in higher octane fuel. It is not more powerful. It is more resistant to compression ignition, or detonation. 

You get no more power from using higher octane fuel if your engine is not tuned for it. If your engine IS tuned for higher octane, then using lower octane will usually cost you power as most modern engine control modules will compensate for lower octane by retarding ignition. 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by lostagain

What has me confused is when you go to the other side of Nowhere, in exotic places like UT and western CO you see octane ratings in the 84 and 85 range as the basic regular and 87 is a premium level.  I understand that altitude affects the octane rating but I live at the same basic altitude, and we only see 87.  So when I'm in UT do I need 85 or 87?  Beats me.  I put in 87 in the last place I gassed up in UT on US50 and when I got to civilization in just inside NV, near Baker, 87 was once again the "regular" gas.  WTF, did I get bamboozled once again by Phillips 66?  There was absolutely no discernible difference in the power and my mileage sucked because of a horrible headwind all afternoon crossing UT.  Once in civilization in NV it was like unicorns were pulling my truck in the morning sun.Thumbs Up
You may need to check which of the many methods of octane rating the station is using. Is it the RON, or the MON, or is it the blended ((R+M)/2)? The difference between RON and Mon is close to 10 units. Here in California, they use the blended ((R+M)/2)
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>